thinking of geting a c- cyaneopubescens - aka as greenbottle blue

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am think of get a greenbottle blue so what are the good and bad points of keeping them thanks --- phil

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only bad part if this will be an issue is if you dont lik a lot of webbing..these guys will web over basically everything in their tank when they are subadults / adults..thats only major draw back is if you have ocd lol..

otherwise they are a mild tempered / docile species..

whenever i take out old food my GBB never tries to run out the tank or nothin as long as he isn't bothered.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am hoping to get one as my next tarantula also if I don't just get an Avicularia avicularia.

I think the good points would be:
Active, big webbers, good eaters, very beautiful

And the bad points:
Big webbers.

I guess some people look at the webbing thing differently. I guess if they didn't want a major webber, they wouldn't choose a GBB.

Since I don't personally own one yet, this is just what I've gathered from what I've read about them. Haha I thought my Aphonopelma seemani would be a big burrower also, but I was wrong.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am think of get a greenbottle blue so what are the good and bad points of keeping them thanks --- phil
Good: They have great coloration They are hardy as spiderlings/juveniles/subadults/adults. They eat anything that is offered to them. They grow to 5" or more as adults.

Bad: A majority of them are too skittish to handle and might bite if they feel threatened. Breeding is tricky (Females tend to eat the males more often than most. Even when well fed and conditioned. Also males are extremely skittish).

I have nothing but, good reviews on the species and it's a must for any collection IMO.

Brian

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks and the webbing would be ok i think it will be interesting to see lol not a joke intended there

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have several of this species. It's my favorite species. The only thing that bugs me is that they web over their water dish. I try to fill the water dish about once a week. Right now I have a female that tries to drink water from the dish the same day I put it in there. The problem is that there is so much webbing that it just wicks the water out before she gets a good drink. I guess I'm going to have to mess up the webbing so she can get a good drink.

I, personally, don't see the webbing as a problem. They tend to sit on top of the webbing and not in the webbing, so mine stay very visible.

They are a little skittish, but not too bad.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree totally with Stonemantis. They are hard to breed, and super fast and nervous. I've heard they can be a little tempermental, but my male was an angel and my current sling is much to little to tell.
I love them though. They are so beautiful and so active and such good eaters, keeping them is a pleasure. It is like an adventure after every moult, seeing their colors change and become more vibrant. You would not be sorry if you got one.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phil

i just wanted to make sure you were feeling ok. i just read you post and i saw another post by you and no SMILEYS. just wanted to make sure your ok.:eek: :liar: :mad: :drool: :rolleyes: :clap: :cool: {D :p :} ;) :? :D :worship: :8o :eek: :razz: {D :( :evil: ;P :) :wall: :confused: :embarrassed: :5: :4: :3: :2: :1:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There arent good nor bad points about keeping them. I dont understand this type of question. Do some research about the proper husbandry and that alone will tell you what you need to know.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just wanted to make sure you were feeling ok. i just read you post and i saw another post by you and no SMILEYS. just wanted to make sure your ok.:eek: :liar: :mad: :drool: :rolleyes: :clap: :cool: {D :p :} ;) :? :D :worship: :8o :eek: :razz: {D :( :evil: ;P :) :wall: :confused: :embarrassed: :5: :4: :3: :2: :1:
haha! that's quite amusing.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is one of my favorite species. I can't think of any draw backs. Yes they are a little on the nervous side but so is my B. smithi. This is a picture of mine. Its around and inch in size.

Last edited:

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good: They have great coloration They are hardy as spiderlings/juveniles/subadults/adults. They eat anything that is offered to them. They grow to 5" or more as adults.

Bad: A majority of them are too skittish to handle and might bite if they feel threatened. Breeding is tricky (Females tend to eat the males more often than most. Even when well fed and conditioned. Also males are extremely skittish).

I have nothing but, good reviews on the species and it's a must for any collection IMO.

Brian
i totally agree! they are VERY skittish. and they will bite or readily kick hair at you if frightened. their bite feels none too great either. not as bad a a pokie or OBT but still hurts. they also are notorious for munching males.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like these guys too. My larger one (1.5") has webbed up the bottom of his enclosure, including his hide and spends all his time in the open. This is contrary to what I read and I suppose may change.

I also read that these are from arid regions in the wild. I don't have a dish for mine as I think it would also be webbed over. Once in a great while I spray a section of the enclosure, but I've never seen it drink.

I am raising a number of slings. These I spritz once a week when I feed. No idea if they drink.

I have several of this species. It's my favorite species. The only thing that bugs me is that they web over their water dish. I try to fill the water dish about once a week. Right now I have a female that tries to drink water from the dish the same day I put it in there. The problem is that there is so much webbing that it just wicks the water out before she gets a good drink. I guess I'm going to have to mess up the webbing so she can get a good drink.

I, personally, don't see the webbing as a problem. They tend to sit on top of the webbing and not in the webbing, so mine stay very visible.

They are a little skittish, but not too bad.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nothing bad to say about this species. One of my favorites.

As for the webbing the water dish try to keep the dish in the opposite corner of the enclosure as the webbing.

I stood a piece of cork bark in the centre of it's enclosure, and it heavily webbed the sides and back of the cork bark leaving the water dish web free.

When not in pre-moult always out in the open, and always a big eater.

Only downfall, the slings are a little pricier.

Last edited:

Beeker

Arachnopeon
i love my GBB, He's beautiful and a great eater.

Sure he's a pain sometimes when i have to transfer him to a new home, He lets me know when he's happy with where he is because he normally just doesen't want to move into any container i try to transfer him with and normally he ends up sitting still like a big rock, while i poke him with a paint brush trying to coax him into a vial

i've only pissed him off one time and he flicked a few hairs at me, never runs from me, never gets defensive, he's areound 3.5 inches as well.

Some pics (Through the glass)

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Not what one would consider a handleable species, very fast and skittish. They are fast growers, mine when from sling to mature male in about a year and a half.

I did not bother with a water dish (always end up getting webbed up), what water he recieved was either from prey items or water drops I would put on a corner of his webbing. They come from a very arid area and some sources state that high humidity is potentially lethal to GBB slings (Can't speak for how true that is, but I do know they can get by under very dry conditions.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I couldn't be happier with my GBB ! I got it as my first. I'm glad I took the advice of the guys at NYR ! Mine isn't skittish at all, webs up a storm, and is always out for display when not in premoult !

I'd love to have a 100 of them..

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks to the majority who replied you all ways get one or two idiots and it was a lot of help to me wonderful pict thanks and they are a beautiful ( t ) and now i know about them i will try to get one and i now know they can be fast / skittish i will be on my guard when working with it so thanks a lot --- phil

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phil

:razz: :D {D :p :worship: :} :cool: ;) :? :mad: :drool: :embarrassed: :confused: :wall: :rolleyes: :drool: :liar: :eek: :worship: :D :? :eek: :razz: sorry if you think i was being an idoit+++++===++++!!!;P :eek: i was concerned!!!!++==++_+++ you had no smileys;) {D
sorry if you think i'm an idoit.