Aerobic vs anaerobic decay for substrate woods

AzInoxia

Arachnopeon
Greetings from the Tetons. Our rez is bigger than your rez! But much the same, miles upon miles of sage and scrub up to the tree lines. Natures dehydration and preservation factories. Down trees last for decades or centuries. Ecosystems outpaced by mobility challenged snails.
(Reservations: native extermination camps with the most hostile land the government relocation folks could find. )

I'm Bilagaana (white) so I can't really say it's "my rez" but thank you all the same. Haha. It's about as rez as the rez gets. My wife grew up without running water or electricity. Her dad tamed it all down some, so it's way less primitive these days. Though we still haul every drop of water in and every gram of trash out. Her parents first language is Diné (Navajo) so I get the real deal experience. Our nearest neighbor is a medicine woman who doesn't speak a word of English. Haha

You hit the nail on the head with your description of the rez and the governments treatment of the natives. We're right off the puerco river where the worst nuclear disaster in the history of the United States happened, but most people have never heard of it. (Church Rock Uranium Mill Spill.) The Federal, New Mexico, and Arizona Government refused to declare a state of emergency because no one who mattered in their eyes were affected.

I'd love to see the tetons one day. We're getting our wanderlust back since we've been getting the homestead together. We're traveling to Salt Lake City for Reptilian Nation next month then going to Mexico in September.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
In my opinion (we run a about a hectare of compost from wood for our farms) aerate well, keep dark and slightly moist and mix in some nitrogen thoroughly to speed up the process.

There are loads of opinions, but a good Google search start would be the "carbon : nitrogen ratio". We don't bother a whole lot with perfect matching of recipes. Just add a bunch of nitrogen into those wood bits and let it breathe whilst remaiming slightly moist (not wet). Turn over every few months as you see it breaking down.

Alternatively. If you have any organic farms near you. Could collect some woody stuff after harvest like corn stalks, rice, okra etc. That stuff breaks down lightning fast in comparison to wood.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Pellet stove pellets commonly contain some formaldehyde as a glue. Not for use around animals.
Otherwise, anaerobes can have a very nasty odor. Typical aerobic odor = compost.
Many of the historic artificial larval foods were made with formaldehyde as an ingredient. No idea if that's still the case but just an interesting tidbit.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Many of the historic artificial larval foods were made with formaldehyde as an ingredient. No idea if that's still the case but just an interesting tidbit.
weird what type of larva? They must have tough digestive systems . I know horn worms are on some sort of artificial stuff but I can’t afford those as feeders.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I have heard or read about that somewhere. Very fuzzy. Off to the Wiki:
Formaldehyde is produced via several enzyme-catalyzed routes.[40] Living beings, including humans, produce formaldehyde as part of their metabolism. Formaldehyde are key to several bodily functions (e.g. epigenetics[24]), but its amount must also be tightly controlled to avoid self-poisioning.
Memories, Doc Jeff when formaldehyde was brought up: "But we can't live without it." Or maybe he said we wouldn't exist without it. I'm still stumbling over that.
Recall. The hospital had undergone a major reshuffling placing the lab centrally located. Several departments complained about odors. Had to install a vent in the biopsy room.
RIGHT. The queen of the hospital, Physician-administration liaison, raised a bitch. That got serious immediate attention. Biopsy directly across the hall from her office.

Last edited: