Brahminy Blind Snake Information

Tytyty

Arachnopeon
I think that these snakes are quite interesting and would like to try keeping them in the foreseeable future. Does anybody have a good source where I can learn about their care and husbandry, natural history, breeding, and where I can order some from? My understanding is that they were introduced to FL via soil in plant pots and have become somewhat invasive. Is this true? Is my best bet to look down there myself?

Thank you for any help! I would love to learn anything I can about these guys.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
They are pretty cools snakes. There is no worry about breeding, they are parthenogenic.

They are pretty much globally distributed in the tropics by now. We have lots here too, see them often when working with soil.

As a pet their downside is they are underground nearly all the time.you likely won't see them much. Far less than the most shy tarantula.

They need deep soil for burrowing. They eat loads of things. I see them around termites/rotting wood quite often. But even termiteless hard clay soil we dig them up. They will eat worms and such as well.

I think of them, in habit, more like terrestrial caecilians but with proper reptile scales and different movement.

When they do come out it is almost always at night. Unless soil disturbance (digging, flooding etc).

Very cool, but not a pet you will see much.

Tytyty

Arachnopeon
They are pretty cools snakes. There is no worry about breeding, they are parthenogenic.

They are pretty much globally distributed in the tropics by now. We have lots here too, see them often when working with soil.

As a pet their downside is they are underground nearly all the time.you likely won't see them much. Far less than the most shy tarantula.

They need deep soil for burrowing. They eat loads of things. I see them around termites/rotting wood quite often. But even termiteless hard clay soil we dig them up. They will eat worms and such as well.

I think of them, in habit, more like terrestrial caecilians but with proper reptile scales and different movement.

When they do come out it is almost always at night. Unless soil disturbance (digging, flooding etc).

Very cool, but not a pet you will see much.
Thank you so much for the information! I heard that some people keep them with colonies of highly productive isopods. I would consider putting them in a planted terrarium with a high isopod population. Would they wipe out an entire colony or if the colony is active enough can they be sustained on it? Do you think that they would congregate around a heating pad or similar heat source? Do they lay eggs or do they have live birth?