Can Tarantulas get anxiety?

Fluffythegoof

Arachnopeon
Genuine question, because my T shows a lot of signs of being scared and stressed when there is absolutely nothing wrong, and has been flicking hairs at empty space. The humidity, water, and enclosure is all perfect for them, and it's dark and quiet.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Genuine question, because my T shows a lot of signs of being scared and stressed when there is absolutely nothing wrong, and has been flicking hairs at empty space. The humidity, water, and enclosure is all perfect for them, and it's dark and quiet.
No, they don't have the emotions that we have.

Posting a photo of your enclosure will help more.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
’no emotions .
flicking hairs at empty space is for protecting rodents or mammals And some inverts .

MorbidArachnid

Arachnopeon
Picture of the enclosure would definitely help, they can't get anxiety in the way we think about it but they can be stressed from lack of cover or excessive stimulation (which comes with things like excessive handling, too many vibrations, bright lights, ect). I've never heard of them flicking hairs at empty space, they can't see very well so it's possible they might be responding to some vibration or other motion outside the enclosure?

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Picture of the enclosure would definitely help, they can't get anxiety in the way we think about it but they can be stressed from lack of cover or excessive stimulation (which comes with things like excessive handling, too many vibrations, bright lights, ect). I've never heard of them flicking hairs at empty space, they can't see very well so it's possible they might be responding to some vibration or other motion outside the enclosure?
I’ve seen my Pamphobeteus do this, always before a molt. Like another comment said it’s for protection against other animals.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The answer is yes, they feel anxiety. They can feel a lot of responses to stimuli that we call emotions.

LilithArachne

Arachnopeon
They can be skittish, my pink-toe was a little scaredy-cat at first but overtime he got used to everything. Each T has their own little quirks so some might be naturally more timid than others.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +

Mustafa67

Arachnopeon
I think yes, but as @TheDarkFinder said, as @LilithArachne said I’ve also had some skittish/more nervous Ts. I think @AlbaArachnids92 makes a good point, they can be stressed after a rehouse but anxiety. It depends how we define anxiety, stress? Yes they feel it.