Clay Sculpture for cockroaches?

madagascarhissinglover

Arachnosquire
In my art class, we always do clay sculptures, and I figured this time instead of making a bowl or plate I'd never use, I'll attempt to create a sort of driftwood sculpture for my Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. Just one question, is it safe? I'm not sure exactly what type of clay is used, other than the fact that it is baked in a kiln. I would also be using a paint and glaze that is safe to eat and drink on for humans.
So, I ask again, would it be safe to put this sculpture in my Madagascar Hissing Cockroach enclosure?
(SIDE NOTE: The clay is very hard when baked and I doubt my roaches would manage to gnaw through it).

gzophia

Arachnoknight
In my art class, we always do clay sculptures, and I figured this time instead of making a bowl or plate I'd never use, I'll attempt to create a sort of driftwood sculpture for my Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. Just one question, is it safe? I'm not sure exactly what type of clay is used, other than the fact that it is baked in a kiln. I would also be using a paint and glaze that is safe to eat and drink on for humans.
So, I ask again, would it be safe to put this sculpture in my Madagascar Hissing Cockroach enclosure?
(Side Note: The clay is very hard when baked, I doubt my roaches could manage to gnaw through it).
Hi! I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know the type of clay. Additionally, paints/glazes that are safe for humans may not be safe for inverts.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
(SIDE NOTE: The clay is very hard when baked and I doubt my roaches would manage to gnaw through it).
I don’t understand how it would hurt roaches there pretty tough . Wait for more opinions though.🤷

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I don't see how it could harm them ether... especially after firing them

CalicoGremlin

Arachnopeon
I do ceramics in my spare time. I've made a variety of things to put in with my inverts with no issues. Once the piece is fired it's inert, and should be safe for your hissers. If you're worried you can always put some feeders in with it for a week and monitor for problems.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
This has been the topic of discussion for years and the FDA has been brought in repeatedly even to the extent of getting court rulings. The big stink was the use of lead in the glaze which has been common since fired pottery was first used.
So to date, there are FDA rules and regulations regarding what is safe in fired pottery and FDA approved components in the processes. It may take some sleuthing but reputable companies usually cite the FDA certifications which is what you should go by.
Web surf fda certification of ceramics esp. Title 21. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=109.16

As for painting or otherwise decorating the ceramics after firing, the onus is on the individual to find materials that do not bear toxins. BE AWARE, there are numerous paints, dyes and the like that are highly toxic. Arsenic and cyanide compounds among numerous other chemicals such as carcinogens are very common in coloring agents.
@HooahArmy Could direct you to the lists of chemicals and compounds to avoid but the bottom line is always on the shoulders of the consumer to be discerning and well informed.

@HooahArmy Care to take bets on those fabulous blue and yellow tints and hues still sneaking in? Prussian Blue, arsenic and Cadmium oh my!

Last edited: