Enclosure review for grammostola pulchra sling

radiomace

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, I snagged my first sling today. A very small g. pulchra I have named Sprinkles, however at the moment they more closely resemble an overfed tick than a sprinkle. Anyway, may I please have an enclosure review? Consists of: cocofiber substrate pipette moistened in the corner under the water dish, a few sprigs of sphagnum moss, a small piece of cork bark, and a plastic bottlecap water dish. With them being so small, I am paranoid about their husbandry. Thank you. IMG_7551.jpeg IMG_7552.jpeg

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
The really fibery stuff can be problematic, you want the ground stuff. might be alright but it could hate it, or worse, get tangled.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Make sure it actually eats, crickets can get lost in that size setup

radiomace

Arachnopeon
The really fibery stuff can be problematic, you want the ground stuff. might be alright but it could hate it, or worse, get tangled.
I see! I did not know there was a difference, thanks for the advice. I’ll make a trip out for some new substrate ASAP.
Make sure it actually eats, crickets can get lost in that size setup
Aye aye captain, even with my bigger girls I either maim or monitor their feeders so I will keep a closer eye.
Looks more like coco husk what’s the bag say?
The bag says “Coconut fiber substrate plantation soil.”

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I used a cheap, store-brand bag of dirt for mine:
PXL_20240101_180935307.jpg
The plainest topsoil they had, no fertilizers.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I see. Someone in another forum said she appears that she may be in premolt, so do you think I should change it out ASAP or leave her be until she does?
If it’s not abrasive you may be fine.
I used a cheap, store-brand bag of dirt for mine:
View attachment 465492
The plainest topsoil they had, no fertilizers.
Wow I got some timberline top soil and it looks like all mulch chips.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Wow I got some timberline top soil and it looks like all mulch chips.
Yeah I do a really rough "sifting" of it just with my hands to pick out the chunks that are hard/sharp...a lot of it is sort of already-soft bark etc, but there are also pieces of sharp twig I don't want in there. I have a bag of reptisoil I mix with when I need a larger amount, but the cheap dirt will do in a pinch especially for a sling enclosure. Cheap and easy to get.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I do a really rough "sifting" of it just with my hands to pick out the chunks that are hard/sharp...a lot of it is sort of already-soft bark etc, but there are also pieces of sharp twig I don't want in there. I have a bag of reptisoil I mix with when I need a larger amount, but the cheap dirt will do in a pinch especially for a sling enclosure. Cheap and easy to get.
I tried to buy something cheap to sift it but I accidentally bought a strainer for pasta. The holes are too small There’s too much to do it by hand.