heterometrus cyaneus (indo forest scorpion) info please

Scorpionoob

Arachnopeon
Hello I have been searching for as much information as I can about heterometrus cyaneus
But can't seem to find much when searching people just group all Asian forest scorpions together making finding info on heterometrus cyaneus hard

So looking for differences between them in behaviour an venom strength
Speed ,

Have heard the heterometrus cyaneus is more aggressive and has a slightly worse than venom is this true ?

People say they are climbers I would this mean logs an branches or will it be climing glass sides ?

Any information helpful

Thanks

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I agree with you, usage of the common name 'AFS' tends to throw everything into 1 bucket, not good.
About behaviour, among Heterometrus genus it is really down to the individual scorpion.
For example my 3 adult H. petersii's came from the same CB nest but greatly differ in behavior.
1 male and 1 female are pretty docile (for a Petersii) but that 1 other female has a much more aggressive/defensive behavior.
It's the complete opposite of the other two. She's into attack mode when i just slightly lift up the lid of the enclosure.
They are raised exactly the same, same food, same housing, same substrate etc.... It really comes down to the individual scorpion.
Kovarik's 2004 paper on the Heterometrus species states that cyaneus is closely related to petersii.
Differences are mostly coloration and it differs even more because there are several sub species: H. cyaneus sumatrensis, H. cyaneus insulanus etc.
Most scorpions are pretty good climbers, but I have yet to see one that is able climb glass.
When species are described as climbing species it usually means they climb trees up to 1,5 - 2 meters high, rarely any higher.
None of the venom produced by any Heterometrus species is of medical significance.
How painful it is compared to a H. spinifer, longimanus or petersii is unknown to me, but you can try yourself :p
Further one, when searching info on H. cyaneus, mind that that is it's name today, previously it was called different.
In the old days it went by the name of Scorpio indicus, Buthus indicus, Buthus cyaneus or H. javanimetrus.
Sometimes google can throw something up if you use older names.
Hope it is of some information to you, maybe @Outpost31Survivor could chip in since he knows a lot about Heterometrus species.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
AFS have individual temperments and I have not heard anything about H.cyaneus having a worse sting than any other AFS.

It is known for its bluish or greenish hue under direct light, also its heavier granulation on the carapace and pedipalps.

Its care differs no more than any other species of Heterometrus.

Scorpionoob

Arachnopeon
I agree with you, usage of the common name 'AFS' tends to throw everything into 1 bucket, not good.
About behaviour, among Heterometrus genus it is really down to the individual scorpion.
For example my 3 adult H. petersii's came from the same CB nest but greatly differ in behavior.
1 male and 1 female are pretty docile (for a Petersii) but that 1 other female has a much more aggressive/defensive behavior.
It's the complete opposite of the other two. She's into attack mode when i just slightly lift up the lid of the enclosure.
They are raised exactly the same, same food, same housing, same substrate etc.... It really comes down to the individual scorpion.
Kovarik's 2004 paper on the Heterometrus species states that cyaneus is closely related to petersii.
Differences are mostly coloration and it differs even more because there are several sub species: H. cyaneus sumatrensis, H. cyaneus insulanus etc.
Most scorpions are pretty good climbers, but I have yet to see one that is able climb glass.
When species are described as climbing species it usually means they climb trees up to 1,5 - 2 meters high, rarely any higher.
None of the venom produced by any Heterometrus species is of medical significance.
How painful it is compared to a H. spinifer, longimanus or petersii is unknown to me, but you can try yourself :p
Further one, when searching info on H. cyaneus, mind that that is it's name today, previously it was called different.
In the old days it went by the name of Scorpio indicus, Buthus indicus, Buthus cyaneus or H. javanimetrus.
Hope it is of some information to you, maybe @Outpost31Survivor could chip in since he knows a lot about Heterometrus species.
Thank you for the info very helpful , I can't wait to try and find more info now using its past names you just gave me

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I found this thread on baby h. cyaneus, that might be of some help!

MCPorter1987

Arachnopeon
Hello I have been searching for as much information as I can about heterometrus cyaneus
But can't seem to find much when searching people just group all Asian forest scorpions together making finding info on heterometrus cyaneus hard

Speed ,

Have heard the heterometrus cyaneus is more aggressive and has a slightly worse than venom is this true ?

People say they are climbers I would this mean logs an branches or will it be climing glass sides ?

Any information helpful

Thanks

Speed ,

Any information helpful

Thanks
See this post is from a few years ago but I might as well reply anyway! I have a Javanimetrus Cyaneus and she has only stung me the once. That said it was very painful although it did not last very long. Rather amusingly, she’s an extremely docile scorpion and seemed to have only stung me out of surprise whilst I was doing maintenance on her terrarium!