Is all Holconia species care the same?

miranda0331

Arachnosquire
I have a few Holconia murraynesis 1/2” slings coming in today. I can’t find any specific care on the murraynesis but can find info on a few of the other species. The person I’m getting them from said they like it dry and they only get a spritz of water once a week.. the last time I listened to a breeder about care it ended up killing my $100 velvet spider.( I’m blame myself for it anyway)

So just to be sure I’d like to ask some advice on keeping this species, especially for some tiny slings. I know to feed them smaller meals more frequently rather than larger meals less frequently. Thanks in advance!

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
For now I'd listen to the breeder.

I am curious on what went wrong with the velvet spider?

miranda0331

Arachnosquire
For now I'd listen to the breeder.

I am curious on what went wrong with the velvet spider?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Now I understand. As others stated, Eresus must be kept bone dry. They get all of their intake from their prey. Don't kick yourself too hard, it's a learning experience!

miranda0331

Arachnosquire
Now I understand. As others stated, Eresus must be kept bone dry. They get all of their intake from their prey. Don't kick yourself too hard, it's a learning experience!
Yeah it was a tough lesson to learn. I should’ve listened to my gut :bigtears:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
You should be fine with your new Holconia murraynesis. Just don't over-spray.

Are you able to set it up in a container with small air holes?

miranda0331

Arachnosquire
The breeder sent them with their enclosures and they are very well ventilated. Gave them a spritz of water on the side of the enclosure when I received them on Friday, and gave them a couple of FFF on Saturday and they all ate. So I’m trying not to get the actual moss that’s in there. I just used it to give them some more coverage, with a small piece of cork bark and some soil

Westsidereptiles

Arachnopeon
I have a few Holconia murraynesis 1/2” slings coming in today. I can’t find any specific care on the murraynesis but can find info on a few of the other species. The person I’m getting them from said they like it dry and they only get a spritz of water once a week.. the last time I listened to a breeder about care it ended up killing my $100 velvet spider.( I’m blame myself for it anyway)

So just to be sure I’d like to ask some advice on keeping this species, especially for some tiny slings. I know to feed them smaller meals more frequently rather than larger meals less frequently. Thanks in advance!
Having raised this species all the way to adulthood and been able to produce this species 4 times now I can confirm… KEEP THEM DRY!!! Much like jumping spiders Holconia don’t react well to water getting on them… in fact they receive most of there hydration for there prey item. I usually spray the tinniest amount of water on the opposite side of there enclosure once every one or two weeks…. But the main peace of advice for this species is don’t treat them like the average huntsman! Rember they come from the arid scrublands of Australia and have evolved the ability to go weeks without liquid water! 😁

with that being said I truly love holconia! There completely Unique from any of the other huntsman that are in the hobby! 💯🔥

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Having raised this species all the way to adulthood and been able to produce this species 4 times now I can confirm… KEEP THEM DRY!!! Much like jumping spiders Holconia don’t react well to water getting on them… in fact they receive most of there hydration for there prey item. I usually spray the tinniest amount of water on the opposite side of there enclosure once every one or two weeks…. But the main peace of advice for this species is don’t treat them like the average huntsman! Rember they come from the arid scrublands of Australia and have evolved the ability to go weeks without liquid water! 😁

with that being said I truly love holconia! There completely Unique from any of the other huntsman that are in the hobby! 💯🔥
Wow that huntsman looks huge what’s dls??? it’s crazy. How did they get all their water from food? A tarantula would die from fasting if It did that.. true spiders can do it.

Westsidereptiles

Arachnopeon
Wow that huntsman looks huge what’s dls??? it’s crazy. How did they get all their water from food? A tarantula would die from fasting if It did that.. true spiders can do it.
It’s holconia murrayensis, the only holconia/ Australian species of huntsman that’s currently in the US! Now they can’t go there entire life without water… it’s when they are small they are able to obtain all there water from the prey items! Once they get too that 2inch juvie size I will give them a spritz of water once a week…

With that being said, this species is truly one of a kind!! There the only huntsman species in the US hobby that doesn’t run around and out there enclosure like a psychopath lol 😂