Is this mesh lid suitable for a t enclosure?

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
Mesh is cheaper and more durable than shipping out acrylic lids that might crack or warp so it's a cost/profit decision on their part
But then acrylic is more durable than glass and I'm always hearing how these glass terrariums are breaking while in transit and being delivered that way. So that doesn't make sense either. Ah well

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No from what I can tell in the op.

But extruded metal shaped to screen does work.

For daily care glass is FAR SUPERIOR to acrylic!!! I own both for eons.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
..............But extruded metal shaped to screen does work...................
That's not what she's got? Upon closer scrutiny, probably not. It looks woven, but coated in some fashion.

Last edited:

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
No from what I can tell in the op.

But extruded metal shaped to screen does work.

For daily care glass is FAR SUPERIOR to acrylic!!! I own both for eons.
As far as function, yes glass is definitely superior. However, acrylic is more durable and breaks less easily. For example when I worked as an optician we'd always push for acrylic lenses instead of glass because acrylic can take more of a beating. But i do know glass holds humidity a lot better I believe

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I have and use those lids on aquariums housing spiders so I can lock them down with (I believe they're called) snake clips.
I place drilled sheets of plastic or plexiglass under the mesh lid as I have had spiders dangling by one leg on more than one occasion. I have yet to see a spider dangling from a drilled sheet; I can't say it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Drilling ventilation holes in glass doesn't seem practical. It would weaken the glass. Plus you need some kind diamond encrusted drill bit.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
What's crazy is even big name glass enclosures that are made for inverts all have mesh lids

36" x 18" x 18" my plan was to build up the back. I saw a video of Dave's where he built a planted enclosure for a stirmi and brought the substrate higher in the back so that it was kind of an incline
Yeah at that size I might be weary of warping, to offset that I'd probably use multiple sheets instead of one long one :/

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Yeah at that size I might be weary of warping, to offset that I'd probably use multiple sheets instead of one long one :/
I know we're focusing on the cover, but that's an awful big tank, even for an adult.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
So what are your determining metrics?

I'm still voting for soldering/drilling an acrylic sheet that's cut to fit

Benefit over glass = durability and ease of modification
Benefit over mesh = holds moisture better and no worry about getting stuck

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
As long as it can find it's prey.
The rule of thumb is 3 times the dls which is on average 12 inches. So if that's true then the length of tank should be at least 36 inches. Remember- tarantulas are opportunistic. They don't actively go out searching for food. They patiently wait for the food to come to them. However I tend to dangle food items in front of them to let them know it's there and if hungry they take it down immediately. If not I remove it next day

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's not what she's got? Upon closer scrutiny, probably not. It looks woven, but coated in some fashion.
Can’t tell, don’t think so

As far as function, yes glass is definitely superior. However, acrylic is more durable and breaks less easily. For example when I worked as an optician we'd always push for acrylic lenses instead of glass because acrylic can take more of a beating. But i do know glass holds humidity a lot better I believe
Glass tanks do not scratch as easily at all as do acrylic boxes. I’m not worried about breaking.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Is this mesh lid suitable for a t enclosure? Now mind you I'm referring to a t that doesn't really climb and just stays on the ground. But just in case it chooses to take a walk at some point View attachment 464262
I converted all my screen tops over to perforated stainless steel and really like it.
IMG_4465.jpeg IMG_4464.jpeg IMG_4463.jpeg

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
These look pretty nice! Did you cut them all yourself to size, or did you get the lids already constructed from someone?
Thanks! I cut them out to size with a shear at work.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks! I cut them out to size with a shear at work.
Oh nice!! Yeah its a clean look, good job, you could easily sell those as replacements for people who dont have the tools to do DIY lid modification!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Oh nice!! Yeah its a clean look, good job, you could easily sell those as replacements for people who dont have the tools to do DIY lid modification!
I had an ad last year and sold a few. I still have some left over for the exo-terra nano tall lids.