Liphistius and Parasites—How Common?

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
With wild caught Liphistius, how common are parasite problems, for those who keep the wild ones? I don’t normally buy wild caught but of course there are very few CB Liphistius out there (I did buy a tiny sling recently, but I’m considering one that’s a bit bigger).

All I can find online are some references to a parasitic mite that was identified on one—not really any discussion of issues on the boards (which perhaps means it’s not all that common). Trapdoors are totally new to me, and I don’t know if there are any common problems I should look out for.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As someone who owns exotics of many types- WC anything is always suspect for parasites

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Ideally you should quarantine any new arrivals (especially WC specimens). Nematode infection or other endoparasites like spider fly maggots would be my biggest concerns. Watch for signs of discharge from the mouth, refusing food, lethargy, dehydration, or a spider that is unusually docile. I learned this the hard way. Always quarantine.

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Thank you both. I think I will end up passing on this one, I'll raise up the sling and hopefully that will go well. But if it comes up in the future I'll quarantine for a few weeks and limit the risk as much as possible.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
There’s always a risk 4/5 Ts I got at the pet shop last year all were sickly . 🤧 😢but if they’re all wc you don’t got much of a choice .