M. balfouri slings

Aelic

Arachnopeon
So, I got myself four M. balfouri slings with the intention of keeping them separate in their own enclosures. It's been over a month since I acquired them, so it's time to address the obvious question: would it be safe to reintroduce them to a shared enclosure after being apart for at least one and a half months, and possibly more, as I do not know how the breeder kept them?

I do have intressts in trying a communal but this was not he original plan when i first got these four slings

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire
So, I got myself four M. balfouri slings with the intention of keeping them separate in their own enclosures. It's been over a month since I acquired them, so it's time to address the obvious question: would it be safe to reintroduce them to a shared enclosure after being apart for at least one and a half months, and possibly more, as I do not know how the breeder kept them?

I do have intressts in trying a communal but this was not he original plan when i first got these four slings
I’d recommend keeping them alone and not together. They could end up eating each other

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I'll never see the appeal of communal balfouri. Every communal I've seen has all the Ts hiding.
My solo kept AF balfouri is out like a display T. She's webbed her floor and rests right on top in the middle as she knows the entire enclosure is hers. Not shared.
They're too pretty and too expensive to risk cannibalism imo.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

I don’t see anyone here with an active successful communal set up. So I’d avoid it . Lots of risk involved.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire

Typically for a communal you never want to do less then 5. From everything I’ve seen 5 is the magic starting number. Not sure why.

With that said, even though it is risky, people do have success adding to their communals by fully rehousing all of the balfouri together and keeping them about the same size. Cannibalism can still happen but it is rare afaik. It’s up to you, but if they are fine separate you can just leave them that way.

I don’t see anyone here with an active successful communal set up. So I’d avoid it .
Mine is perfectly fine. I have 8 (started with 10...lost two super young to reasons unknown. Weren’t eaten, the others deposited them in the water dish) 3 males (two mature) and 5 females. Have had them communally for almost two years and they do fine. I never see all 8 out but it isn’t uncommon for 4-6 be out and about.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, balfouri are communal and especially as slings, will actually do better kept communally...its not all that risky with this species.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I'll never see the appeal of communal balfouri. Every communal I've seen has all the Ts hiding.
My solo kept AF balfouri is out like a display T. She's webbed her floor and rests right on top in the middle as she knows the entire enclosure is hers. Not shared.
They're too pretty and too expensive to risk cannibalism imo.
Aren't you worried she is lonely? 🥺

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
If I were to attempt a "Communal" it would be with Balfouri for sure.

Glorfindel

Arachnopeon
Would need much Larger Enclosures with plenty of Structure to allow for Web Anchoring and Hides.