M. belfouri. breeding

Kdragon98

Arachnopeon
I have a communal set up for my befouri, only 3 of them and i was wondering what the best way is to take care of the sac itself, do I leave in in there with mom and dad and uncle/aunt or do I remove the sac and care for it myself. If so, how does one go about doing that?

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Just leave her with the sac with several of the baboon species it's better to leave the sac and mom will take care of everything.

Bit of advice as i have kept them communal before. That male might not last long because he will pester the daylight out of the females.

Kdragon98

Arachnopeon
Just leave her with the sac with several of the baboon species it's better to leave the sac and mom will take care of everything.
I dont want to keep all of the babies that hatch, just wait for it to hatch with mom and fight mom and dad for all the babies to remove them?

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Hook the mom and the others out. The others will more than likely hide,but mom will probably not be so keen to hide.

You probably should have thought this all through a bit more before doing this.

Kdragon98

Arachnopeon
Hook the mom and the others out. The others will more than likely hide,but mom will probably not be so keen to hide.

You probably should have thought this all through a bit more before doing this.
It wasn't my intention to breed them. I was unaware that the males don't hook when they Mature, so i left them be but then I saw them breeding. now it is what it is.

How does one take care of a sac outside the the moms care?

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
It wasn't my intention to breed them. I was unaware that the males don't hook when they Mature, so i left them be but then I saw them breeding. now it is what it is.

How does one take care of a sac outside the the moms care?
I would not attempt to remove the sac and try and rear them on. I've never tried it and definitely someone with more experience can answer that.

It's important to research and know every detail about the animals you keep such as spider's. That way you can identify male's and females when they mature.

Kdragon98

Arachnopeon
I've done research, got all the key detail on to keep them alive, whether or not the male has hooks or not must of slipped through the cracks.

Thank you for the advice! :)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
M. balfouri are some of the easiest tarantulas I've ever bred in my experience with tarantula keeping and breeding. I would take out the mature male so he doesn't stress the female out by wanting to mate too much. You can just leave the female with the eggsac and let them hatch out into the communal or pull the sac after a set number of days. It's really up to you. I find that breeding tarantulas communally can be a pain which is why I recommend breeding M. balfouri females in their own separate enclosure to save the hassle and stress.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I've done research, got all the key detail on to keep them alive, whether or not the male has hooks or not must of slipped through the cracks.

Thank you for the advice! :)
Go check breeding reports on this species. :D :artist: I don’t got a clue 🕵️‍♀️ last time I left eggs with mom they failed not saying you’ll have that issue and this was obt.

Kdragon98

Arachnopeon
M. balfouri are some of the easiest tarantulas I've ever bred in my experience with tarantula keeping and breeding. I would take out the mature male so he doesn't stress the female out by wanting to mate too much. You can just leave the female with the eggsac and let them hatch out into the communal or pull the sac after a set number of days. It's really up to you. I find that breeding tarantulas communally can be a pain which is why I recommend breeding M. balfouri females in their own separate enclosure to save the hassle and stress.
its been about a week since they have mated so i think this time i will remove the sack, how do i go about keeping the sac healthy and without going bad?

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
its been about a week since they have mated so i think this time i will remove the sack, how do i go about keeping the sac healthy and without going bad?
Umm can you post some pictures of what you seem to think is a sack? No way did they pair a week ago and she made a egg hammock. This had to been from a prior pairing.
If you hope to have any survive at all do not remove the sack.
Anyone that I know that's breeds this species of spider always lets them hatch out with the mom.

You are in over your head so far it's not funny.

Good luck.

Kdragon98

Arachnopeon
i know what a sack looks like, I don't have a sac yet, im just saying in general i will remove it, if i did my homework correctly it will take several weeks for a sack. at this point in time i cant house them all separate, don't have the space or the money to buy more enclosures. how do you see I'm over my head so far? please explain.
what is the point in asking question if people are going to offer help? isn't asking question a form of research?
like you said " someone more experienced can answer that"

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
i know what a sack looks like, I don't have a sac yet, im just saying in general i will remove it, if i did my homework correctly it will take several weeks for a sack. at this point in time i cant house them all separate, don't have the space or the money to buy more enclosures. how do you see I'm over my head so far? please explain.
what is the point in asking question if people are going to offer help? isn't asking question a form of research?
How do I see you are in over your head? Are you serious?
One you cannot identify a male from a female.
Two you left a mature male spider in and now you possibly have a gravid female.

Third they don't make a sack per say like other species of spider's. It's a web hammock that she will sit on top of.

Fourth I don't consider asking questions like this after the fact research . You do that before.

And fifth and certainly not final. You have these in a communal set up without prior knowledge and seems like very little experience keeping these .

And yes someone with way way more experience will certainly come along to give you advice. They are going to tell you the same exact thing most likely. This species of spider is what got me in the hobby so I absolutely know a thing or two about keeping them and breeding them.

Not to mention the fact you have already had someone that's a breeder give you advice and say pretty much the same as I have.

Kdragon98

Arachnopeon
1) i was under the impression that males hook (its ok to be wrong). telling a male or female isn't over me head with anything simple advice on how to tell them apart would of been cool instead of bashing me. such hostilely
2) i don't see the wrong in that.. they mate, oh well deal with the sack.. sorry web hammock. sell them off or raise them
3)weather it is a sack or web hammock its the same damn thing lol didn't know I need to have my terms correct.
4) i may have learned about it when i first got them.. we cant remember everything, so asking to make sure or to clarify something is the same thing as asking google but whatever your option,
5) how can u tell what my knowledge it beside not being able to identify male and female, but alright whatever.
6) right you guys said the "almost the same thing" but he said u can remove the sack (even he called it a sack LOL and hes a breeder) after a few days, so with my reasoning i asked how to do that and have a successful hatch, "its really up to you"

thanks for the input, will be considered

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Kdragon98

Arachnopeon
Holy <edit>.. when did it become a crime to bash someone for asking question? what in the <edit> is the form for if we cant ask question. like <edit> off with being so damn hostile maybe be informative and not <edit> for a chance

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
1) i was under the impression that males hook (its ok to be wrong). telling a male or female isn't over me head with anything simple advice on how to tell them apart would of been cool instead of bashing me. such hostilely
2) i don't see the wrong in that.. they mate, oh well deal with the sack.. sorry web hammock. sell them off or raise them
3)weather it is a sack or web hammock its the same damn thing lol didn't know I need to have my terms correct.
4) i may have learned about it when i first got them.. we cant remember everything, so asking to make sure or to clarify something is the same thing as asking google but whatever your option,
5) how can u tell what my knowledge it beside not being able to identify male and female, but alright whatever.
6) right you guys said the "almost the same thing" but he said u can remove the sack (even he called it a sack LOL and hes a breeder) after a few days, so with my reasoning i asked how to do that and have a successful hatch, "its really up to you"

thanks for the input, will be considered
I'm not trying to bash you although it may seem that way but honestly I'm not.
I'm passionate about everything to do with spider's and can sometimes come across harsh when not really meaning to be that way.

When you say you where under the impression that male's hook out. That's not always true in many many species. Had you done the absolute amount and then some more research on these you would have been way more prepared for something like this .

And btw the person that posted that is an actual breeder never said one single word about removing the sack . Since we have possibley got off on the wrong foot with one another. I will shut my mouth and let's see what others have to say.

Holy <edit> .. when did it become a crime to bash someone for asking question? what in the <edit> is the form for if we cant ask question. like <edit> off with being so damn hostile maybe be informative and not assholes for a chance
And when you come off like this you can kick rocks. As I said good luck. All I'm speaking is facts.

Kdragon98

Arachnopeon
read it again " You can just leave the female with the eggsac and let them hatch out into the communal or PULL THE SAC AFTER A SET NUMBER OF DAYS . It's really up to you.
saying someone hasn't done enough research or should of did that before is mean. i asked for advice, if you are so passionate about something don't belittle or tear someone down for asking question. i'm sure you had to ask some along the way, use your passion to teach and not bash someone form trying to learn something,
its crappy when someone come in here asking for helping and all someone has to say is everything they are doing wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
instead of bashing me. such hostilely
No one was bashing you or showing any hostility. Help and advice was offered, which is what you asked for.

didn't know I need to have my terms correct.
Correct terms are extremely important if you want correct advice.

There is an old adage. "Mean what you say and say what you mean". Please try to keep in mind that no one here is a mind reader to know what you may, or may not, have meant. ;)

Note that the original advice you were given was under false information (that it was already a produced sac). Hence why correct terminology is so very important.

saying someone hasn't done enough research or should of did that before is mean.
No, it is far from mean. It is helpful advice. Now you know for next time. :)

Perception is key. No one bashed you. No one belittled you. No one tore you down.

its crappy when someone come in here asking for helping and all someone has to say is everything they are doing wrong.
If you do not want to know that you did something wrong, why ask questions? It is the animal's life in your hands. We ALL want to see the animal, and YOU, thrive. Expect that we are all here for the animal's well being. We are a passionate bunch. So if we see something is wrong, we WILL say so. If you truly wish to learn, wouldn't you want to know when something you are doing is wrong, so you can correct it?

Please try to humble yourself a bit and accept the advice given. It will only better you as a keeper, and help your animal thrive. Don't you want that too?

phillyTkeeper

Arachnopeon
If u have the communal of 3 I think you said but what i do is just take the males out the communal when I see them. Enclosures can be made out of anything every rubber wear from dollar tree just put some wholes in and BAMB! Lol