Mexican fire leg

EmmaOoo33

Arachnopeon
I am in need of some advice/help. My spider is about a year and half now, molted around 5 times since birth. I know these are slow growing. But she has hasn't eaten for months now, I have tried different bugs. Any help please?

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
Looks plump. Just keep water available. Space feeding attempts a little farther apart. It will eventually eat or molt. I have a B. Klaasi around that size that burrowed away for about 4 or 5 months before it molted. You can try smaller prey items. I've found sometimes when they're plump they won't take their normal sized prey.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
I think they meant both of it and the enclosure...handling is discouraged. However looks plump enough. Brachypelmas are known to occasionally go through a "hunger strike" where they won't eat for months. Also judging by the darkening of the abdomen, it might be in premolt and so wont eat until it molts again.

cold blood

Staff member
Fat ts do not require food.

All ts have certain food requirements per molt cycle, once this has been reached, the t no longer needs to eat....the faster a t is plumped up, the longer the fasting will last...and because a ts molt cycle is extended greatly as it gains size, this makes it REALLY easy to fill them up way before they are ready to molt...hence the commonality of long fasts in captivity.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am in need of some advice/help. My spider is about a year and half now, molted around 5 times since birth. I know these are slow growing. But she has hasn't eaten for months now, I have tried different bugs. Any help please?
Not enough info!

Ts fat as Jupiter don't eat, they aren't eating machines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read up on the animal you own!

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
I have a B. bohemei of similar age and size. The opistosoma (bottom part) is also about 1.5 times larger than the prosoma (head part). Just keep its water dish full and it will be fine. It might also be worth it to try prekilled crickets in the afternoon and remove them next morning every week or two, but your Tarantula is pretty hefty.

I think that keeping multiple spiders is usually easier/less stressful than keeping just one for most people. When people start with a single arthropod pet, they tend to focus on them too much and sometimes that attention can be harmful to the animal (handling and too much fiddling with its enclosure) and the owner (a lot of worrying over the animal doing nothing for long periods of time). If you have more arthro-pets, you can divide your attention and it becomes a lot less to worry some when one pet decides to take a dirt vacation.

EmmaOoo33

Arachnopeon
I have a B. bohemei of similar age and size. The opistosoma (bottom part) is also about 1.5 times larger than the prosoma (head part). Just keep its water dish full and it will be fine. It might also be worth it to try prekilled crickets in the afternoon and remove them next morning every week or two, but your Tarantula is pretty hefty.

I think that keeping multiple spiders is usually easier/less stressful than keeping just one for most people. When people start with a single arthropod pet, they tend to focus on them too much and sometimes that attention can be harmful to the animal (handling and too much fiddling with its enclosure) and the owner (a lot of worrying over the animal doing nothing for long periods of time). If you have more arthro-pets, you can divide your attention and it becomes a lot less to worry some when one pet decides to take a dirt vacation.
Thank you, I understand that. Just wanted to find out if she looks healthy or not.
X

Not enough info!

Ts fat as Jupiter don't eat, they aren't eating machines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read up on the animal you own!
I've had a T before, she got to the age of 20. Just not used to a young one and their behaviours, hence the question.