my son bought me a Blondie, heat lamp question

cold blood

Staff member
I don't like saying "room temperature is fine" because I know some people think "room temperature" is 63F.
I agree, room temp is too subjective, but in general, people prefer temps a little warmer than 63....that said, with a chalcodes you wont have issues even at 63.
If you live somewhere cold as hell where it will get cold in your house, you should have some sort of supplemental heating.
If you live somewhere cold you have a furnace
Can a heat lamp dry out an enclosure? Yeah, depends on how you use it.
This is the issue with lamps, they are very drying...but I also agree that its use dependent, if the lamp is on the tank, thats bad, but if its across the room and basically heating the room, its much safer.
You can talk about "most of these care guides are using summer temps" and "the dirt is more insulated" but no place on earth is a constant 70-75F year round either.
This is something I think many people miss, they want these constant or consistent temps, but nowhere is this reality in nature....temps rising and falling are really not an issue and its normal for night temps to drop.
If your temps never get above 75F, you're going to have a slower growing animal that's more likely to have molt issues.
I dont agree....those temps are good temps that will offer good growth rates for any t...there is zero evidence that temps below 75 will or can cause molting issues.
if you're keeping your T below 75F it's whole life you're going to run into more problems.
No you wont....pretty much any t can live long healthy life below 75....I would agree with temps lower than 70 for many species (tropical species), but not for slow growers from more temperate climates.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a small 25W booklight next to my rosea's enclosure, she molted recently, and routinely sits in the corner under the light, or even leans up on the glass closest to the lamp. Overheating isnt the concern here, but I wonder how the spider's eyes are able to cope with the filament glare?

cold blood

Staff member
I have a small 25W booklight next to my rosea's enclosure, she molted recently, and routinely sits in the corner under the light, or even leans up on the glass closest to the lamp. Overheating isnt the concern here, but I wonder how the spider's eyes are able to cope with the filament glare?
lol, book light and a heat lamp are not remotely the same thing.