Pip-squeak's First Meal! (Pics)

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Some of you may remember my late hatchling from last fall:

It was too late and too cold for me to trust that it would get burrowed deep enough to survive the winter, so Pip (short for Pip-squeak) has been living in a plastic shoebox in my garage since October. Pip's been fine, very sedentary, occasionally shuffling from one side to the other, digging shallow burrows - more or less a proper brumation period. I keep the substrate moist to avoid dehydration, but otherwise don't mess with the enclosure.

The last 2 weeks or so have been warm, like low-to-mid 60's during the day, but still dipping into the 30's at night. Too cold for the outdoor group to start emerging - they don't usually come out until overnight lows are consistently over 60°F. It has stayed warmer in the garage overnight, though, so Pip has increased his activity level as of late. Today I filled his water dish and he literally ran across the enclosure and started trying to eat the bubbles forming in the dish. It was officially time for Pip's first ever meal...

Sizing it up:
1000019158.jpg

Wrestling it down:
1000019162.jpg

Biting off a bit too much?
1000019171.jpg

Now we're in business:
1000019175.jpg

1000019177.jpg

Determined to finish:
1000019179.jpg

1000019181.jpg

Feeling proud and looking for more: 1000019186.jpg

Pip ate one more small one after that - took it right out of the tongs. That's a really good sign for his/her future! In a few weeks I'll introduce Pip to the forever home in Turtle Town in the backyard.

Hope you enjoyed this, thanks for reading!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was JUST thinking about the little fella last week wondering how he was!

Didn’t realize their head was so much larger than their body sorta compared to adults!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
There giants compared to most baby inverts . But turtles have to be a lot larger to survive. Impressive turtle !🐢 how many years does it take to get full-sized?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I was JUST thinking about the little fella last week wondering how he was!

Didn’t realize their head was so much larger than their body sorta compared to adults!
I figured you would get a kick out of this!

They do have relatively big heads, but somehow they still manage to tuck it all the way into their shell when frightened.

There giants compared to most baby inverts . But turtles have to be a lot larger to survive. Impressive turtle !🐢 how many years does it take to get full-sized?
This little one is still about the size of a quarter. Full grown for this species is about 8" shell length, so they're not a huge species, but a very manageable size compared to most. This guy is kind of a runt, so it may not get quite that big, but who knows. It'll take at least 8-10 years for it to reach adult size, maybe longer if the weather is particularly cool some years.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Pip had 2 more mealworms today.

1000019713.jpg
1000019715.jpg

I thought he'd be able to go outside soon, but it seems spring will never come - it's back down to 40° and snowing today... 👎

Oh well, if I have to spend the next 3 months hand feeding this dude it wouldn't be so bad.😆