Pleasantly surprised

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Ok so we've had Sidney the pholcid (Pholcus phanlangioides) since last fall. She's a mature female and has made an egg sac once ever 2-3 months since we've had her. The sacs were never viable and she always ended up eating them. A little over a month ago, she made a new sac (as usual). Today, when checking on the spiders, it looked as though she'd finally eaten the sac but upon a closer look I discovered around 10-15 nearly translucent slings!
IMG_8750.jpg
Excited to see these little guys grow before they get released back on to the walls from whence their mother came (hopefully just in time for fruit fly season 😆).
I know this isn't exactly the most riveting story but I thought it was pretty cool lol

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ok so we've had Sidney the pholcid (Pholcus phanlangioides) since last fall. She's a mature female and has made an egg sac once ever 2-3 months since we've had her. The sacs were never viable and she always ended up eating them. A little over a month ago, she made a new sac (as usual). Today, when checking on the spiders, it looked as though she'd finally eaten the sac but upon a closer look I discovered around 10-15 nearly translucent slings!
View attachment 472220
Excited to see these little guys grow before they get released back on to the walls from whence their mother came (hopefully just in time for fruit fly season 😆).
I know this isn't exactly the most riveting story but I thought it was pretty cool lol
Well it’s better then I’ve done I’ve never captured one I’ve seen these cellar spiders making a home around my t shelves one in my substrate container . Nice 👍 .. house pedes are a bit creepy I’ve captured them before but they’re too fragile I leave them alone now . Too small to eat dubia .

gzophia

Arachnoknight
View attachment 472220
Wonderful! These are everywhere in my house; I have around 20-30 in my garage alone (probably more) and I bet there's a few in the room I'm sitting in right now 🤣
Such graceful and beautiful spiders; congratulations on the babies! Lovely animals.

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Wonderful! These are everywhere in my house; I have around 20-30 in my garage alone (probably more) and I bet there's a few in the room I'm sitting in right now 🤣
Such graceful and beautiful spiders; congratulations on the babies! Lovely animals.
They're incredible to watch wander around on the walls. The leg to body ratio is absolutely insane. They're probably the reason the basement suite I live in isn't full of insects XD. The fruit flies go absolutely nuts in the summer where I'm at so I'm eternally grateful for their help in dealing with them lolol. Also I love their defense tactic which is just wobbling really really fast. Works pretty well tbh it's kinda hard to see them when they do it 😆

gzophia

Arachnoknight
They're incredible to watch wander around on the walls. The leg to body ratio is absolutely insane. They're probably the reason the basement suite I live in isn't full of insects XD. The fruit flies go absolutely nuts in the summer where I'm at so I'm eternally grateful for their help in dealing with them lolol. Also I love their defense tactic which is just wobbling really really fast. Works pretty well tbh it's kinda hard to see them when they do it 😆
I know! They are such amazing animals; and yeah, my basement is almost completely insect free. Which is a good thing, because mosquito season is coming in and I live right next to a river.

And I can never forget their defense tactic; mine don't do it very often but when they do it's hilarious. I know it's scary for them and I don't try to trigger it, but it's hard to move my junk in the garage at 12 AM and not spook one of them (I get spooked back too haha). Rulers of the attic; masters of the basement!