Prionotheca coronata hibernation?

Hougen

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone. My name is Michael and I'm from Germany. Nice to meet you. :)

I joined this forum because I have a little problem. Maybe some of you can help me out. A few weeks ago I got two pairs of Prionotheca coronata (urchin beetle) at the insect expo in Frankfurt, Germany. Since I breed a lot more "typical" beetle species like stag and rhinoceros beetles I thought I try something new.

I put them in a 45L (~11,8 gallons) Samla box from IKEA. I use these for most of the nocturnal species I have. But unfortunatley I underestimated the temperature (~62°F) in my breeding room. Because of that and the fact that I didn't give them any light they started to sit still for most of the day. When I noticed that I immediatley put them in a warmer enclosure (~77°F) but they still hardly move around. Sometimes they start walking for a few steps and even eat the food (carrots, potatoes, cat food pellets, dead crickets) I'm offering at irregular intervals. Most of the time they fall on their back when walking.

It doesn't feel like they're about to die. I have this problem for two weeks so they would already be dead by now. To me it feels more like they're in some kind of hibernation I can't get them out of. Do you know what else I could try? I'm thankful for every advice.

Michael

attenboroughii

Arachnosquire
Nobody any ideas? Still dealing with this problem unfortunatley.
Prionotheca coronata may have a breeding season.
In my breeding experience, there is a period of active egg-laying from late fall through spring, and a period of reduced activity when they are not laying eggs.
This change occurred even when I kept them at a constant temperature, so if the insects do not appear to be dying, why not continue to keep them at a higher temperature?