Smoking scorpions venom

Johnn

Arachnoknight
Anyone ever hear of smoking scorpions venom to get high? Now I'm in no way condoning this or interested in trying it myself but does anyone know the specie(s) that does this? And by what mechanism in the brain this works? I just find it intriguing lol. And for the record, please dont smoke scorpion venom!!!
Anyone know what type of scorpion is in this picture?: https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/zd6oyo

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Just don’t let the rappers and common folk figure this out if it’s possible scorpions, could possibly quickly go extinct. I find the idea hysterical , who Would be crazy enough to actually do it??🤣🤣

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Wow... what that would do to your mind, should imagine it's psychedelic and the ppl that try it are the same ppl that were trying to lick dart frogs 10 years ago 🤣

Just don’t let the rappers and common folk figure this out if it’s possible scorpions, could possibly quickly go extinct. I find the idea hysterical , who Would be crazy enough to actually do it??🤣🤣
People clearly 🤣🤣🤣

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I kind of hope people that would abuse animals that way would smoke a bunch. Darwinism at its finest.

I bet the heat makes it of less important. Maybe drink it, with ulcers?

What is up with these beyond stupid posts recently?

Johnn

Arachnoknight
I kind of hope people that would abuse animals that way would smoke a bunch. Darwinism at its finest.

I bet the heat makes it of less important. Maybe drink it, with ulcers?

What is up with these beyond stupid posts recently?
I dunno. Just got too much free time on my hands I guess

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Anyone ever hear of smoking scorpions venom to get high? Now I'm in no way condoning this or interested in trying it myself but does anyone know the specie(s) that does this? And by what mechanism in the brain this works? I just find it intriguing lol. And for the record, please dont smoke scorpion venom!!!
Anyone know what type of scorpion is in this picture?: https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/zd6oyo
I wonder how much of this is actually factual and how much is purely anecdotal. I suppose a sting can theoretically provide widespread paresthesia and lightheadedness ("euphoria"). Smoke inhalation delivery of venom could possibly provide a "high" or not. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Fortunately, it is not exactly an epidemic and there are no known deaths involved.

Johnn

Arachnoknight
I wonder how much of this is actually factual and how much is purely anecdotal. I suppose a sting can theoretically provide widespread paresthesia and lightheadedness ("euphoria"). Smoke inhalation delivery of venom could possibly provide a "high" or not. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Fortunately, it is not exactly an epidemic and there are no known deaths involved.
Yeah. I will say it made the real news though. Btw Dyou know what kind of scorpion is in the pic?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/zd6oyo

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Meh soft news piece that did little by means of investigative. Random pic probably lifted off of google, looks like a H. spinifer to me but not entirely 100% sure due to the pic quality.

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
Meh soft news piece that did little by means of investigative. Random pic probably lifted off of google, looks like a H. spinifer to me but not entirely 100% sure due to the pic quality.
Idk if we're looking at the same picture, I'm looking at the cover picture for the video. H spinifer and heterometrus in general have darker (sometimes blueish tinted) bodies, have dark telsons, and much bigger pinchers.

Edit- I see the reddit pic now lol. Still that is probably pandinus imperator because of the reddish telson

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Idk if we're looking at the same picture, I'm looking at the cover picture for the video. H spinifer and heterometrus in general have darker (sometimes blueish tinted) bodies, have dark telsons, and much bigger pinchers.

Edit- I see the reddit pic now lol. Still that is probably pandinus imperator because of the reddish telson
Absolutely incorrect, Heterometrus can have brownish bodies. Juvenile and subadult Heterometrus spinifer have cream / yellow telsons that turn reddish brown upon maturity just like Pandinus imperator. Both P. imperator and H. spinifer have very similar colored telsons. That is not a Pandinus imperator. Compare the chela (claws) in the Reddit post with the chela of a genuine Pandinus imperator.

Pandinus imperator

Heterometrus spinifer

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
Absolutely incorrect, Heterometrus can have brownish bodies. Juvenile and subadult Heterometrus spinifer have cream / yellow telsons that turn reddish brown upon maturity just like Pandinus imperator. Both P. imperator and H. spinifer have very similar colored telsons. That is not a Pandinus imperator. Compare the chela (claws) in the Reddit post with the chela of a genuine Pandinus imperator.

Pandinus imperator

Heterometrus spinifer

Pandinus imperator

Heterometrus spinifer
That's true, the claws do look too smooth to be imperator. Could be spinifer. In the heterometrus I've seen, they tend to have a blue tint/sheen to them. I only have h petersii, h laoticus, and h silenus which have dark telsons once mature. I'm not sure I've ever seen a heterometrus that looked brown.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
That's true, the claws do look too smooth to be imperator. Could be spinifer. In the heterometrus I've seen, they tend to have a blue tint/sheen to them. I only have h petersii, h laoticus, and h silenus which have dark telsons once mature. I'm not sure I've ever seen a heterometrus that looked brown.
There are many Heterometrinae species that have a telson lighter then the metasomal segment V. Including the cryptic real H. petersii which can easily be misidentified as H. spinifer. But true, H. silenus and H. laoticus share the same trait of possessing telsons as dark as the metasomal segment V.

The REAL Heterometrus petersii:

Screenshot_20240329-170121_Facebook.jpg

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
There are many Heterometrinae species that have a telson lighter then the metasomal segment V. Including the cryptic real H. petersii which can easily be misidentified as H. spinifer. But true H. silenus and H. laoticus share the same trait of possessing telsons as dark as the metasomal segment V.

The REAL Heterometrus petersii:

View attachment 469994
Damn that's a cool looking scorpion. For a while I thought mine was spinifer, then decided petersii but perhaps not lmao. Now I'm not sure because it doesn't really look like either to me.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Sheeesh don't tell ppl the type of scorp! Last thing we need are a bunch of stupid ppl trying to milk scorps n roll it, this hobby gets enough flack as it is 🙄

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wow... what that would do to your mind, should imagine it's psychedelic and the ppl that try it are the same ppl that were trying to lick dart frogs 10 years ago 🤣

People clearly 🤣🤣🤣
gross licking frogs
sad this movie got no sequel, I guess you’re right.
Now scorpion and a pancake?🥞

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
gross licking frogs
sad this movie got no sequel, I guess you’re right.
Now scorpion and a pancake?🥞
A bong n a blinz 🤣🤣🤣 I loved the Austin movies but seriously yes it was a fad licking dart frogs 🐸 stupid ppl that didnt realise cb ones dont eat the same stuff so dont produce the same toxins, and same as the smoking bath salts thing no idea who decided that was a good idea or what's in em but it can't be good for anyone, absolutely ridiculous what some humans will do to theirselfs. Don't get me wrong I am not an innocent but got to draw the line somewhere, and if its man made or comes off an animal they can keep it. But you can guarantee somebody will read this thread and think that sounds cool n try it .
Individual ppl I love but the human race as a whole, we are a very stupid race that will try anything if enough ppl get behind it, best to not encourage it.

And if anyone is reading this thinking it's a good idea .... Stop it, Get some help!

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Just packed a bowl of fresh venom, ready to smoke up. Just gotta rub pangolin scales on my acne real quick and can't forget the powdered rhino horn for virility...

Why is it the first thing humans do is capture, kill, and sell parts when a new animal is discovered? Why are humans obsessed with smoking/injecting/ingesting any and all natural products?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Just packed a bowl of fresh venom, ready to smoke up. Just gotta rub pangolin scales on my acne real quick and can't forget the powdered rhino horn for virility...

Why is it the first thing humans do is capture, kill, and sell parts when a new animal is discovered? Why are humans obsessed with smoking/injecting/ingesting any and all natural products?
The foul fraudulent practice of traditional medicine and the foolish pursuit of mind alternating substances. Mankind has proven to be truly a ship of fools. Sadly, mother nature often pays the costs.

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire

Don't forget your manatee skin cream, giant panda robe and alligator leather gloves.

But in all seriousness I think reasons like this are why I'm a misanthropist. We have no respect for our beautiful planet and all of the absolutely amazing creatures here with us. From springtales to whales (accidental rhyme :rofl: ) and everything in between and around they all have a purpose and are awesome, people get a god complex and think animals are nothing but beasts that live to serve and decorate. I cannot stand those people... it's one thing to not like them and another to turn them into drugs or slippers. If you guys couldn't tell I grew up watching "Wild Kratts" and admiring people like Steve Irwin.

As for the smoking I know it supposedly calms the nerves (watch someone try to come off and see how calm they are then) but what I can't stand is how people just throw their cigs all over the ground without a care. Like I don't care if you kill your lungs that's how we strengthen the gene pool but good lord please have some consideration for the people like myself who have to clean them up out of the parking lot.