Substrate for Painted Agama Suggestions

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone!

I have a Painted Agama, a related species of the Bearded Dragon that only reaches about a foot in length. When I first got him I kept him on a reptile carpet (beginner mistake, I know) but now I want to get him a substrate. However, I've heard of issues with impaction, so I was wondering what substrate would be suitable for him that has no risks of impaction. Whatever substrate works with a beardie should work here.

I would also prefer a substrate that doesn't tend to stick to him so he won't be very dirty when I take him out for enrichment. This isn't a make-or-break factor but I would prefer it.

Thanks everyone!

ozzymandias

Arachnopeon
Hey! I have a bearded dragon and I keep him on stone tile. Stone is good for wearing down the sharp points of their claws and will be easy to clean up when your lizard makes a mess. I went to the flooring aisle at Home Depot and picked out some tiles that I thought had a naturalistic appearance. At first, I accented the stone tile with fine white sand. I stopped using the sand after a while because it just accumulated moisture and food waste. Unfortunately, the sand was mainly for me - I don't think my dragon got anything out of it.

If you're anything like me, you want too make your reptile's enclosure as naturalistic as possible. Unfortunately, as you've already pointed out, using loose substrate raises the chances of your animal developing an impaction. If you must use loose substrate, I would go with a very fine sand like I mentioned above. If you do use sand, you should give your agama plenty of space above the sand (rocks, hammocks, etc.) so it can choose what it wants under its feet at any given moment. I would also recommend feeding in a separate enclosure to minimize the chances of it ingesting substrate.

Now, what I would really REALLY recommend, and what I would love to do for my lizard, is to build a dedicated digging box. This would be a dedicated area with sand or excavator clay where your animal can burrow, but should be separate from the rest of the enclosure. This depends on how much space you have though, and in the end would probably necessitate a custom built terrarium.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Hey! I have a bearded dragon and I keep him on stone tile. Stone is good for wearing down the sharp points of their claws and will be easy to clean up when your lizard makes a mess. I went to the flooring aisle at Home Depot and picked out some tiles that I thought had a naturalistic appearance. At first, I accented the stone tile with fine white sand. I stopped using the sand after a while because it just accumulated moisture and food waste. Unfortunately, the sand was mainly for me - I don't think my dragon got anything out of it.

If you're anything like me, you want too make your reptile's enclosure as naturalistic as possible. Unfortunately, as you've already pointed out, using loose substrate raises the chances of your animal developing an impaction. If you must use loose substrate, I would go with a very fine sand like I mentioned above. If you do use sand, you should give your agama plenty of space above the sand (rocks, hammocks, etc.) so it can choose what it wants under its feet at any given moment. I would also recommend feeding in a separate enclosure to minimize the chances of it ingesting substrate.

Now, what I would really REALLY recommend, and what I would love to do for my lizard, is to build a dedicated digging box. This would be a dedicated area with sand or excavator clay where your animal can burrow, but should be separate from the rest of the enclosure. This depends on how much space you have though, and in the end would probably necessitate a custom built terrarium.
I've seen people use tiles before, I think it's a pretty good idea! I used to put mine in a box of coco fiber and just let him mess around for a bit, I might now just put a box in his enclosure!

ozzymandias

Arachnopeon
Stone/tile might be an especially good choice for you. To my understanding, agamid lizards in the wild prefer rocky outcroppings and crevices. He might feel right at home!

And yeah, look into digging boxes. They're supposed to be good for encouraging more natural behaviors like burrowing and nest-building.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Stone/tile might be an especially good choice for you. To my understanding, agamid lizards in the wild prefer rocky outcroppings and crevices. He might feel right at home!

And yeah, look into digging boxes. They're supposed to be good for encouraging more natural behaviors like burrowing and nest-building.
Would there still be a concern of impaction with the substrate in a dig box? Can I use the dry coco fiber I have or get something else?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Would there still be a concern of impaction with the substrate in a dig box? Can I use the dry coco fiber I have or get something else?
Don't use hammocks or similar, it's not a Gerbil.

No such thing as impaction.
If temperatures and humidity are correct whatever is swallowed during feeding will be passed.

Blockage problems only occur when husbandry is not correct.

An ideal substrate would be a mix of organic topsoil and sand, that would allow the lizard to do it's natural thing.
Some large stones / rocks would allow it to clamber around.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Don't use hammocks or similar, it's not a Gerbil.

No such thing as impaction.
If temperatures and humidity are correct whatever is swallowed during feeding will be passed.

Blockage problems only occur when husbandry is not correct.

An ideal substrate would be a mix of organic topsoil and sand, that would allow the lizard to do it's natural thing.
Some large stones / rocks would allow it to clamber around.
He's got ledges made of the same rock-like material as his hides

ozzymandias

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I would recommend sand too. You could mix it with your coco fiber to create a substrate that will hold a shape better.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that there's "no such thing as impaction", but I do think it isn't as large an issue as some would have you believe.