Trapdoor spider substrate

Godsmack1934

Arachnosquire
I've been considering getting a trapdoor spider for quite a while now, but I've been hesitant because I'm not familiar with the proper substrate so I wanted to ask here before I decided if I'm going to get one.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Following because I'm thinking about it too. I was inspired by this work of art

Also because I saw people call them "trappies" 🤣🤣🤣

And if you stalk his profile you'll find this comment:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been considering getting a trapdoor spider for quite a while now, but I've been hesitant because I'm not familiar with the proper substrate so I wanted to ask here before I decided if I'm going to get one.
I know a top arachnologist who used top soil

MSobczak

Arachnopeon
I recommend visiting these threads if youre getting into trap door spiders:

There is a wealth of information on trapdoor spider substrate and setups.

Godsmack1934

Arachnosquire
To update, I decided to get a trapdoor spider, I ended up using top soil and it had a burrow dug out in under an hour. Thank you to everyone who gave advice!

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
To update, I decided to get a trapdoor spider, I ended up using top soil and it had a burrow dug out in under an hour. Thank you to everyone who gave advice!
Um spider tax??? How dare you

Godsmack1934

Arachnosquire
Where did you obtain it? Thats really interesting!
I found this one on a local walking trail under a rock but counting this one I've seen 3, the other 2 were under or in rotting logs.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I found this one on a local walking trail under a rock but counting this one I've seen 3, the other 2 were under or in rotting logs.
In AR, given your profile info? Thats interesting as heck, I'm nearby in KY, and I have also seen tiny trapdoors under rocks on two occasions, but I wasn't in the position to be able to dig them up.

Godsmack1934

Arachnosquire
In AR, given your profile info? Thats interesting as heck, I'm nearby in KY, and I have also seen tiny trapdoors under rocks on two occasions, but I wasn't in the position to be able to dig them up.
Yes I am in AR, for the short amount of time I've had it its been a really interesting spider so if your ever in a position to keep 1 I'd definitely recommend it.