Trying to estimate the age of my two s. alternans

Scoliolioli

Arachnopeon
A question directed at experienced keepers/breeders of Haitian/Hispaniola/Puerto Rican Giants:

Is there a way to estimate a WC centipede's age?

I heard scolopendra alternans have a slower growth rate than other species, suggesting these specific pedes may be older than they look.

At least where I live, most centipedes that wander into people's houses measure around 6.5 inches (Puerto Rico metro area. Rural Naranjito is a whole different story)

That's how big Noodle was when I found him (sept 2019). He's at 9" two years later.

Ramen also measured around 6.5" when I found him in May 2021.

Other centipedes have been found dead around our house (we have exterminators come in monthly to keep termites at bay). Same measurements.

These lenghts do not include terminals nor antennae.

Here's some pics of them (not the best quality, sorry)
IMG_20211002_092600186.jpg
Noodle, October 2021

IMG_20210524_182851785.jpg
Ramen, May 2021 (no other pics of him since then. He's the quintessential pet hole)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
In captivity it takes about 3 years to reach 5-6", I imagine they grow faster in nature.

Scoliolioli

Arachnopeon
To me that looks more like subspinipes than alternans but I'm no expert.
Subspinipes?! With how chill and derpy Noodle is?! If that's true, I have a mellow anomaly in my terrarium.

Jokes aside, they're most likely to be alternans, since they're the most common species in the northern half of Puerto Rico. We could have other scolopendrids, but our local Natural Resources Department doesn't seem to care about documenting these guys. All we hobbyists have are purely anecdotal accounts...

Scoliolioli

Arachnopeon
In captivity it takes about 3 years to reach 5-6", I imagine they grow faster in nature.
Thanks for replying! I'm guessing CB's would grow up more slowly in controlled/cooler temps, unlike the wild ones who have to endure brutal Puerto Rican summers...

Noodle may be 3.5-4 years old at the youngest, or 5+ at the oldest. Would you say 4 years old is middle-aged, or senior?

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Subspinipes?! With how chill and derpy Noodle is?! If that's true, I have a mellow anomaly in my terrarium.

Jokes aside, they're most likely to be alternans, since they're the most common species in the northern half of Puerto Rico. We could have other scolopendrids, but our local Natural Resources Department doesn't seem to care about documenting these guys. All we hobbyists have are purely anecdotal accounts...
You are probably right! Like I said I am no expert, so don't take my comment seriously. I have zero experience with that species, but this is what I had in mind with "Haitian giant"

https://flic.kr/p/qkuvXn

Scoliolioli

Arachnopeon
You are probably right! Like I said I am no expert, so don't take my comment seriously. I have zero experience with that species, but this is what I had in mind with "Haitian giant"

https://flic.kr/p/qkuvXn
Don't worry! Alternans have different color morphs depending on the region. Puerto Rican giants are said to have two: "colora'o" (red e.g. Noodle & Ramen) and black.

Red ones are most common and are readily found in the Metro Area. Black ones have become rare and appear most in rural towns such as Naranjito. So rare, old people like my grandma think black 'pedes are ooooold specimens.

*edited for punctuation

Sangin

Arachnopeon
Don't worry! Alternans have different color morphs depending on the region. Puerto Rican giants are said to have two: "colora'o" (red e.g. Noodle & Ramen) and black.

Red ones are most common and are readily found in the Metro Area. Black ones have become rare and appear most in rural towns such as Naranjito. So rare, old people like my grandma think black 'pedes are ooooold specimens.

*edited for punctuation
Could you post a photo of this black morph you are talking about if you ever find one?