What should i offer to jumping spider.

Cldfire

Arachnopeon
Hello. Today my new jumping spider arrived, but i didn't expect that he would be so tiny. I have some crickets for my sling tarantulas (S sized but still bigger than my jumping spider). I was wondering if I can pre-kill cricket and offer to him or must I get fruit flies?

Attachments

miranda0331

Arachnosquire
In my experience I have had a few slings that ate a small “pre killed” cricket. I crushed the head but it would still move a little bit enough for the spider to be enticed to eat it. But, I’ve also had a few that wouldn’t. Small meal worms in a bottle cap that the worm can’t climb out of work great also!

trvespider

Arachnopeon
I've had really good success with flightless fruit flies. Pretty cheap and any reptile store (including petsmart even) will have em. Might wanna offer multiple per feeding since they're real small and don't have a ton of nutrients but they'll do fine for keeping a jumper of that size alive.

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Flightless fruit flies are not great nutritionally so using them as well as prekilled/disabled crickets, mealworms etc is preferable. I've had a lot of luck cutting mealworms into small pieces and scattering them in spots the jumper frequents. Slings are usually pretty good at scavenging.
I would just be careful with the water dish you have there. Jumpers can drown much more easily than tarantulas. For drinking water, spritzing a wall every now and then is ok. Humidity can be kept up by dampening the substrate 👍