Why did my F Curly die after molting?

CurlyLynn

Arachnopeon
My F Curly usually spends most of her time in the burrow. When she crawled out this time she parked herself in the corner of her tank.
Today I went to feed her fresh crickets and she was dead! She was just over 3 years.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My F Curly usually spends most of her time in the burrow. When she crawled out this time she parked herself in the corner of her tank.
Today I went to feed her fresh crickets and she was dead! She was just over 3 years.
Pictures would be useful :pics: . Although sometimes they just don’t make it and 3 years. Could be 2” , size is a better stat.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You really expect someone to know????

cold blood

Staff member
Impossible to know...especially with such limited info.

I see you are in WI....if you are in the SE area, hit me up, I will give you a few slings to replace her.

CurlyLynn

Arachnopeon

Attachments

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately that is not an appropriate home for a tarantula of any sort. Could have died from fall damage or gotten scraped from the substrate.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
The picture of that tank being used tells us a lot.The height,substrate,lack of ventilation not to mention the heat produced by the light.
Fish tanks are for fish,totally inappropriate for T,s.
If it had been living in that setup for any length of time,it was one tough T.And just a matter of time before something bad would happen.
We aren’t being rude just pointing out mistakes were made here.

cold blood

Staff member
Could have died from fall damage or gotten scraped from the substrate.
those are two problems...the floor is also too cluttered.
lack of ventilation
That's a total non-issue with terrestrials kept predominantly dry.
not to mention the heat produced by the light.
how can you telll the light is a heat lamp?
Fish tanks are for fish,totally inappropriate for T,s.
Theyre fine for terrestrials like this, as long as they have enough substrate to reduce that fall risk.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
those are two problems...the floor is also too cluttered.
That's a total non-issue with terrestrials kept predominantly dry.
how can you telll the light is a heat lamp?

Theyre fine for terrestrials like this, as long as they have enough substrate to reduce that fall risk.
All can voice their opinions for sure and we all can learn something.
I stand by what I observed in the provided photos.IMO,not a great setup.

LilithArachne

Arachnopeon
Just to add, the substrate is definitely not appropriate for a tarantula. Dirt only!
Please do some research before getting another tarantula if you are planning to, this death could've been easily preventable.
I am not being rude, I am just letting you know for future reference. Like any pet, it is important to read up on them, the species, and their specific care to ensure a healthy, happy life.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Just to add, the substrate is definitely not appropriate for a tarantula. Dirt only!
Please do some research before getting another tarantula if you are planning to, this death could've been easily preventable.
I am not being rude, I am just letting you know for future reference. Like any pet, it is important to read up on them, the species, and their specific care to ensure a healthy, happy life.
Are wood chips for certain reptiles?? This isn’t the first time I’ve seen someone use them for tarantulas without knowing any better. One T I got from my neighbors, aunt had wood chips, I had to remove .

Rude, I thought this was a help page.

Yes always.

I wish I could add pictures 😢

Photos of her home, her and her shed I found in her burrow.
as to op I suggest reading this , sorry for your loss . Correcting your care should be easy did the pet store tell you to use wood chips?? https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/

CurlyLynn

Arachnopeon
This is the bedding that she was so to us with. I wish I knew. Did it kill her?

Unfortunately that is not an appropriate home for a tarantula of any sort. Could have died from fall damage or gotten scraped from the substrate.
They sold us one of those acrylic boxes and this material to keep her in. I didn’t know

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
I'm sorry to hear she she didn't make it.
It's really unfortunate but most pet stores and people in general don't know how tarantulas should be kept.
There's no way to know exactly why she died. Most of the time if a tarantula isn't doing well there isn't a way to tell just from looking. All you can do is, if you want to, try again with some more online research and recommendations from people with more firsthand experience.
The people on here, although they can often be very harsh, genuinely care for tarantulas and want them to live happy, long and, comfortable lives. Try not to disregard advice due to lack of tact as it's usually good.
There is a search feature at the top right of the website (little magnifying glass) where you can look up specific species, enclosures, care info etc. I would recommend looking at what's working for other people and starting from the ground up.
I hope you're able to get past this (it's never easy losing a pet) and continue in the hobby 💙

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It's really unfortunate but most pet stores and people in general don't know how tarantulas should be kept.
There's no way to know exactly why she died. Most of the time if a tarantula isn't doing well there isn't a way to tell just from looking. All you can do is, if you want to, try again with some more online research and recommendations from people with more firsthand experience.
The people on here, although they can often be very harsh, genuinely care for tarantulas and want them to live happy, long and, comfortable lives. Try not to disregard advice due to lack of tact as it's usually good.
There is a search feature at the top right of the website (little magnifying glass) where you can look up specific species, enclosures, care info etc. I would recommend looking at what's working for other people and starting from the ground up.
I hope you're able to get past this (it's never easy losing a pet) and continue in the hobby 💙
Correct ✅ just checking onwebsite they suggest reptile bark.
Just as an example 😑 that one detail is very bad .

They sold us one of those acrylic boxes and this material to keep her in. I didn’t know
sorry I quit trusting pet shop information when my first avic died up looked stuff online ever since . Although some sites are gone now. It happens. Sorry for your loss.

CurlyLynn

Arachnopeon
I will. Thank you. Your very kind.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I'm truly sorry for your loss. Don't beat yourself up and I know you got good advice.

Now you have more information and experience under your belt for your next T.