Will this work?

DonaldJ

Arachnopeon
I'm trying something new in the challenge of corralling fruit flies and it may be useful to keep the hairier critters from getting snagged on ventilation holes. It's fabric for making sheer curtains; 100% polyester so it should be non-toxic in case children or house pets decide to chew on it. Airflow is incredible and the mesh is so fine that table salt does not pass through it but granulated sugar might, depending on the manufacturer. Comments?

airflow.png

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
what are you trying to achieve? might be important if you want your question answered....

DonaldJ

Arachnopeon
what are you trying to achieve? might be important if you want your question answered....
Keyword: Ventilation. I've read many posts about spiders losing a leg because it got caught up in a screen or mesh, particularly with lids. Also, I've read that some spiders need plenty of cross ventilation, so this might be a solution to both issues. As a novice I thought I'd ask.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Keyword: Ventilation. I've read many posts about spiders losing a leg because it got caught up in a screen or mesh, particularly with lids. Also, I've read that some spiders need plenty of cross ventilation, so this might be a solution to both issues. As a novice I thought I'd ask.
Have you read and seen the pics of posts of Ts that have chewed through metal? That might answer your question

DonaldJ

Arachnopeon
Have you read and seen the pics of posts of Ts that have chewed through metal? That might answer your question
No, not a big fan of Ts since I saw that movie with the uncredited Clint Eastwood appearance. But aren't some habitats made out of acrylic or other plastic? Something does not compute, enlightenment is welcome.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, not a big fan of Ts since I saw that movie with the uncredited Clint Eastwood appearance. But aren't some habitats made out of acrylic or other plastic? Something does not compute, enlightenment is welcome.
They are, and some have screen metal for the air holes, and Ts chew through metal. So I'm not sure why you think polyester couldn't be chewed through??

DonaldJ

Arachnopeon
They are, and some have screen metal for the air holes, and Ts chew through metal. So I'm not sure why you think polyester couldn't be chewed through??
My new dunce cap fits quite well today so please bear with me. I read (on the internet!) that spiders don't have teeth per se and suck up nutrients after their fangs do their magic with the flesh-eating goo. No teeth, no chewing is how I see it. But if they can chew through metal why aren't they chewing through the acrylic or other plastics? I'll keep the dunce cap on my head until this is sorted out but if you think this is a pointless discussion just say the magic words, "Give it a rest, please," and that will be the end of it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My new dunce cap fits quite well today so please bear with me. I read (on the internet!) that spiders don't have teeth per se and suck up nutrients after their fangs do their magic with the flesh-eating goo. No teeth, no chewing is how I see it. But if they can chew through metal why aren't they chewing through the acrylic or other plastics? I'll keep the dunce cap on my head until this is sorted out but if you think this is a pointless discussion just say the magic words, "Give it a rest, please," and that will be the end of it.
Actually they will grip anything they can w/their fangs and screw around with it. They can't grip flat surface acrylic walls, etc

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I’m lost what’s going on what are you trying to achieve? What movie scene ?

DonaldJ

Arachnopeon
Actually they will grip anything they can w/their fangs and screw around with it. They can't grip flat surface acrylic walls, etc
Thank you! And now I have to rethink my attitude about tarantulas; seems like we have a lot in common, what with gripping stuff and screwing around.

This fabric is strong stuff, couldn't tear it with my bare hands but the edges could fray. With the larger ventilation holes in the typical tarantula enclosure are invasive flying insects, like gnats and small flies, ever an issue? I wouldn't risk the well-being of a tarantula experimenting with this material but it should be fine with my puny little orb weavers.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Ts chew through metal
through aluminium!!! not for example the 0.2mm mesh width stainless steel gaze i use, this is also used for excluders of verroa-mites in bee keeping and is gnat proof as well

might be hard to get though

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
through aluminium!!! not for example the 0.2mm mesh width stainless steel gaze i use, this is also used for excluders of verroa-mites in bee keeping and is gnat proof as well

might be hard to get though
Right - metal 🤣🙄

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you! And now I have to rethink my attitude about tarantulas; seems like we have a lot in common, what with gripping stuff and screwing around.

This fabric is strong stuff, couldn't tear it with my bare hands but the edges could fray. With the larger ventilation holes in the typical tarantula enclosure are invasive flying insects, like gnats and small flies, ever an issue? I wouldn't risk the well-being of a tarantula experimenting with this material but it should be fine with my puny little orb weavers.
Winged insects are annoying but usually only there due to filthy setups

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Chomping, chewing, poking, claw foot snagging, smaller holes, meshes, screens, barrier fabrics....
And then, air flow: natural exchange, positive vs negative pressure, natural and forced ventilation, induced convection, thermocline exchange inhibition and restriction. measured vs desired air exchange, ambient mean air temperature, stagnant air dead zones, mean and relative humidity - measured and ideal. Inmate requirements - upper and lower temperature and humidty maximums relative to the species, sanitary issues and invasive organism and containment controls........................ I'm forgetting a few no doubt.
All considerations taken into account in all certified hospital HVAC system which, ideally, is what you are trying to emulate with your containment.
Carry on.