Wood for millipede substrate.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A few years back I was helping my boss cut some firewood and I came across a few nice chunks of oak (I'm pretty sure it was oak. some sort of hardwood for sure) that were very dry and extremely light. I assumed some sort of dry rot but there is none of the whiteish discoloration I usually associate with dry rot, and I can easily crumble the smaller pieces with my bare hands (no I am not that strong) When I soak it it gets spongy and I can squeeze the water out. The thing is I never got a chance to use it. I was planning on getting some millipedes but the right opportunity never really presented itself. I'm considering getting some now and I would like to know if I soaked this wood if it would be acceptable. It is extremely soft especially when damp. I mean its not really rotting or decaying wood as we think of it but it has obviously gone through some sort of decay process. I was thinking of adding some aspen shavings, crumbled oak leaves and maybe some long fiber sphagnum moss and some pressed hard
wood pellets in addition to a good potting mix.

thanks in advance.