Molting

ADSipes02

Arachnopeon
Hi all! I’ve had my ASF for a little over a year now (I got him the end of February 2023), and he still has not molted to my knowledge. He’s only about 2-2.5” long still so I can’t imagine him being fully grown. He eats fairly regularly (for a scorpion anyway), and he’s good and filled out. I’ve just never seen him blow up like a balloon the way they do when they molt, and I haven’t seen him disappear like that either. I’ve never found any exos either. From what I’ve seen, they tend to molt about twice a year (6 times until maturity which occurs after roughly 3 years so I figure about twice per year). I attached a couple pictures to give you an idea of his size. I was just wondering if anybody has any ideas of what might be happening or if someone could reassure me because I’m not scared yet, but becoming mildly concerned for him lately. Thanks!

Attachments

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
It's not adult yet. They aren't fast growers, but this is quite a while. What temperature are you keeping it at?
Also the substrate in the 2nd picture looks nice and damp, but the first looks bone dry. Keep the substrate properly hydrated throughout by pouring some water in when it starts drying out.

ADSipes02

Arachnopeon
The first picture is older from when my ex tried to clean his home for me while I was traveling. I’ve since redone it and made it deeper and kept it more damp for him. It’s generally around 70-75°. I was sure he wasn’t an adult yet, but was getting nervous that it’s been so long and he hasn’t done it yet.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
As I expected, he's growing so slowly because of the temperature. Keep it between 75 and 85⁰F and that makes a huge difference.

ADSipes02

Arachnopeon
I wondered about that because I knew it was on the lower side. Unfortunately, I’m staying with family at the moment so it’s a little out of my hands right now.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
All you need is a small heat bulb to achieve these temperatures whenever you're able to do so. Make sure to keep on top of watering and restrict ventilation if necessary because it will cause it to dry out more quickly.

ADSipes02

Arachnopeon
All you need is a small heat bulb to achieve these temperatures whenever you're able to do so. Make sure to keep on top of watering and restrict ventilation if necessary because it will cause it to dry out more quickly.
I’ve seen that bulbs are bad for them

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
No they're not. They shouldn't have super bright lights if that's what you mean but basking bulbs are not that bright. Perfectly fine to use. There's also the option of a ceramic heat emitter, basically a bulb that doesn't emit any light.