Best way to kill off excess feeders (roaches)

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm looking for a quick, clean, efficient way to kill off my extra roaches. Freezer is an option, but my gf freaks over a big jar of roaches sitting next to the ice cream. And no I won't sell them because people are selling them for far cheaper than I would sell them for already.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Definitely the freezer..put the jar inside a plastic grocery bag to hide the act from the girlfriend.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You could give some away. I'm sure there are people in your area who could use em. Otherwise, freezing is probably best.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
draw a big bullseye on some random building (or of someone you hate) and get a slingshot, and go nuts! make a game out of it!!;P j/k

ether alcohol works rather well, and then they dont have to go into the freezer next to the chunky monkey. just take a few cotton balls and put a generous amount of those in the jar and wham, no more roaches.

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get some reptiles, give them away or sell them to your local petshop, are in my opinion a better way to get rid of them. As far as for killing them. Id go with freezing or alcohol. As for discarding them, some people burn them to ashes.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wait I don't get it. You'd rather kill these roaches then sell them for real cheap or give them away??

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, I don't understand that. Dude, if you're gonna just kill 'em, send them to me. I'll pay you for the shipping. That's like throwing a stake down the garbage disposal in front of a starving man.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, doesn't make sense to me, either...:?

Get yourself some hungry reptiles and amphibians...I snagged a Cuban Tree Frog tonight who has a JOB eating lots of roaches. lol

Last edited:

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you dont mind, what kind of species are you raising? I would understand if it one of the less desirable species.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
GP CT9A

If they are lobsters I can understand freezing them off since they can be slow sellers. But again I'm sure someone with an insatiable need for feeders could take em!

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's easy! The best way to dispose of extra feeders it to get a few more animals that'll take care of them :D

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is dubia's I'm raising, and it isn't that cheap to sell them off when you have none of the required packing materials, and would have to buy them in bulk just to get started. And also when there are far more reputable people than I selling 100-150 for 20 bucks, it just isn't worth the trouble and time to do it. If I had containers to ship them in already it would be a different story.

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how does someone get "extra" roaches in a feeder dubia colony?!?!?!
share your secrets! :p

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Give your roaches out for free, dude. There are definitely more than 1 person in your area in need of some food for their inverts/reptiles. I think you are probably the only person with "extra" dubia and actually want to kill them.

Btw, packing dubia is very easy. You just need a container and some egg crate pieces/toilet roles. Throw the toilet roles into your current colony, wait for them to fill up, put the roles with roaches in the container with some dog food. That's it. It's easier than packing T's.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how does someone get "extra" roaches in a feeder dubia colony?!?!?!
share your secrets! :p
The main reason I have too many is because most of my collection of scorps aren't big enough for adult dubias, and if they are, it's such a big meal they are full for 2 weeks at least. So I have way too many breeders in there. Lobsters are the perfect size feeder for me but I don't want any climbing species, or anything that could potentially infest my house (so no latteralis either, I live in the south). I plan to try selectively breeding them a little smaller, gonna pull out the small ones I see and set them up in a different colony.

I think you are probably the only person with "extra" dubia and actually want to kill them.
I highly doubt that ;)

I ended up burning all the adult males (which is what this thread was for, all the extra males running around were fighting each other and wasting my food) and split what I had left with a friend who lost his colony to an eviction.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I have a dubia colony that is completely out of control!! I have so many its scary! I gave away a bunch a few weeks ago. The rest of what I feel are "Too Many" (usually the males.. it sucks to be a male in my house! ) I give to my chickens and duck! One chicken can eat hundreds in one setting!! Its beautiful! So.. get ONE chicken :D

If its packing material your worried about and someone wants them bad enough they would probably send YOU a box to put the roaches in then pay you to send them back!

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a dubia colony that is completely out of control!! I have so many its scary! I gave away a bunch a few weeks ago. The rest of what I feel are "Too Many" (usually the males.. it sucks to be a male in my house! ) I give to my chickens and duck! One chicken can eat hundreds in one setting!! Its beautiful! So.. get ONE chicken :D

If its packing material your worried about and someone wants them bad enough they would probably send YOU a box to put the roaches in then pay you to send them back!
I'd totally be down for giving them away to people who send me the packing materials and pay for shipping, I'll probably do that in a couple months when my colony rebounds. The chickens is an excellent idea, my neighbor has some, not sure how he would feel about the roaches though {D

Anyone ever used them for fishing?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If the thought of getting one or two box turtles has crossed your mind recently, that will take care of extras too. It's funny to watch them chase them down.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Anyone ever used them for fishing?
You're not the only one... I've done mass kills in the past when I could find no buyers and the colony was starting to self-destruct from overpopulation. The people yelling at you are just armchair quarterbacks, it's not just as easy as snap your fingers and find someone who will take roaches off your hands.

So yeah, I actually tried using the nymphs for fishing once because I'm an avid fisherman... I took two dozen and ended up throwing 23 in the lake a half hour later. The fish hate them. Not sure why, but I'm guessing the defensive odor translates into a nasty taste in water or something? That, or they just smell too foreign to fish for them to be interested. I had panfish sucking the nymph in and spitting it back out, if that tells you anything... the same fish that will surface to eat your spit if you spit on the water near them :)