Best way to kill off excess feeders (roaches)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't have any luck fishing with them either, I thought it was a great idea at first but, only a couple of nibbles. The doobs I have were mailed to me just because the other person was overloaded and said, "here ya go". But I remembered and sent them some stuff later. You could send them to people that want them and ask if they could send you a freebie later if they get babies from a T or something, anything that has a lot of babies.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can I see colony pictures? I think im doing something wrong XD
Here a pic from when I first set it up

The breeders have a private area to breed and do roach things and the tubes I empty into a plastic tub to feed out of. The ones on the bottom usually have ~100 in them. I keep a heat mat under the cork tile setup so they can move and thermoregulate, peak of 90 at the bottom. Water crystals from www.watersorb.com, dog food/oatmeal mix as a staple with an apple or something once a week or so.

You don't have to go that fancy, just get some egg craters and some tp rolls and toss them together they will be just as happy. I'm probably gonna go that route myself next time I clean it out, makes it easier to cull undesirable specimens such as males or old females. Here's a pic of my old setup with egg crates.

You're not the only one... I've done mass kills in the past when I could find no buyers and the colony was starting to self-destruct from overpopulation. The people yelling at you are just armchair quarterbacks, it's not just as easy as snap your fingers and find someone who will take roaches off your hands.
I hear ya, anyone who has kept roaches for a year or more will understand heh. At least the thread wasn't a complete waste, got some good ideas.

Last edited:

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how does someone get "extra" roaches in a feeder dubia colony?!?!?!
share your secrets! :p
In my case I have 3 tarantulas and 1 centipede to feed. I've already sold off over 2,000 to the LPS.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
packing roaches is easy.just put some of the roaches and an pieces of eggcrate into a delicup,toss that in a box packed well and your done ;]

BestRoach

Arachnopeon
I try and remove excess males from my dubia colony on a regulary basis, and the fastest way I have found to kill them is a quick trip down the garbage disposal with really hot water.

While I can see issues occuring if smaller roaches are dumped (escapes), larger males typically don't survive this method. I have not suffered any consequances since I started doing this, and have noticed no smell from the disposal. I feel terribly guilty afterwords, but for proper breeding it must be done.

If anyone finds themselves dumping adult females or mixed nymphs, please send me a private message. I will buy any and all dubia if the price is right...and will even send you the shipping supplies if necessary.

brunoboy

Arachnopeon
I've got an extra bin full of male b.dubias----I try to keep my colony at 1 male for every female. Anybody want a bunch of males?? {D

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Best way to kill off extra feeders? Get a Pyxie frog ;P ;P ;P

hinterwelle

Arachnopeon
I do experiments with rogue lobsters that i find hiding out in other colonies. I haven't had a colony of lobsters for over a year now but I'm still finding them. All it takes is for a couple of babies to get overlooked somewhere and then it starts all over again. But yeah, I pull their heads off and time them to see how long it takes their bodies to stop crawling. It sounds mean, but its quite interesting. Much like a chicken can run a short distance without its head, so can lobster roaches. Actually, they last quite long like that. 20-30 minutes and some even longer. Sometimes the antenna will still move on the head while the body crawls away. Weird stuff. And for the fishermen out there, fish don't like lobster roaches either. I've caught one perch using a slide bobber, and i've had the hook cleaned off once while catfishing (there where like 6 roaches on one hook) but other than that, no action.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I too have experienced the over population problem with B. dubia. I just traded or sold some off. I suppose freezing would work also.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha if anything sell or trade them. Hell I could even use them.

I have 4 beardies all adults, 2 pacman frogs and enough tarantulas lol. I just ran out of my adult dubia's as well, now I'm waiting for the babies to grow up but its takin forever! I'll even trade some things for a good number of adults to get everything going if you'd want.

Just1nKas3

Arachnopeon
Bump - anyone in the California South Bay area need 40-50ish male dubia feeders? I could throw in some females & nymphs as well if desired. I just have too many and don't want to kill them...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bump - anyone in the California South Bay area need 40-50ish male dubia feeders? I could throw in some females & nymphs as well if desired. I just have too many and don't want to kill them...
My local exotic pet store takes them, if you have one around you could call and ask if they want them. I'm having a hard time getting my started again, don't know why. I'd always get too many also but it's not going that direction for some reason.