communal P regalis setup

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I didnt notice that ones kept together grew faster, but Its definetly an intriguing idea. Also, you may notice while they are young they dont seem to mind the presence of another individual, even touching sometimes. As they grow I found that this tolerance deteriorates, and when they stumble across each other will often flee only like Pokies can!

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So is there any way of marking individuals? I believe that biologists will paint something on butterflies when trying to track them, but I can't think of an effective way to mark Ts. If you can track individuals, I think that it would make it easier to determine who's alive or dead/eaten (and who is the culprit), whether gender is an important factor, growth rates, etc.

Karen N.

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
excellent idea Karen! I guess you could mark them, but would obviously have to re-mark after a moult. I dont think there are many that actually enjoy chasing down and catching pokies either eh??

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
if anyone has any clue as to how I'd go about marking them, I'm happy to hear it!
(one that doesn't involve me being bit, preferably!)

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
non toxic water paint? or perhaps a band or something around a leg although considering alot of you use paintbrushes I think water paint would be easier

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I"m wondering if even non toxic paint is something I should be putting on them?

Anyway, here are some pics from today...as you can see, they are in a variety of places.
All of these are the lone ones. My little groups are in places I can't get pics of...

There are always 2 of them doing this....I don't know if it's the same two or not...

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I love this pic! One of them seems to really like this plant...

Last edited:

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Awsome pics, do you know how close the ones in the groups stay together, are they just in the genral area??Or are they like bunched up together

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Sean,
two of them actually sit with their front feet touching each other, or right beside each other. My other group of 2 stays a bit further away from each other

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
Sean,
two of them actually sit with their front feet touching each other, or right beside each other. My other group of 2 stays a bit further away from each other
I bet that wont last long.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Sean
I bet that wont last long.
could you give a timeline? a week? weeks? a month? months?
a year? years?

these have been together over a year......

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't think anyone can argue with results :p Even if it may end the next day. A year is still quite a long time.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by metallica
could you give a timeline? a week? weeks? a month? months?
a year? years?

these have been together over a year......
omg...change in opinion here.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
UPDATE

thought I'd update the commual thread here. They are all in the process of molting. I took some pics last night, they didn't turn out well, but here is one of a newly molted sling.
There is another one living on the wall to the right, and a couple that live in the driftwood above and to the left.
I still count at least 6 at a time, 2 of them seem to still move around alot, and are never in the same place.
So far, no sign of any siblings being eaten, or any casualties from crickets.

Attachments

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
update

all are still alive and well, and have molted twice.
The majority are sharing a retreat between the plant and the glass wall, against the heating pad (smart little guys!).
The pic isn't good, but there is no good angle to show where they are staying.

Attachments

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's good to see that all-too-familiar poop splatter on the sides of the aquarium......wouldn't it be nice if we could get these guys to poop clear? :(