Crystal clear, super cheap, gift boxes as enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Found these online for about $1 apiece. I realize they may seem flimsy at first, but if you put some rocks in the bottom under Coco fibre, I don't see why these wouldn't be the perfect inexpensive enclosure for a young adult tarantula. Take a good long look at the pictures. They are crystal clear and scratch resistant. Note that the lid has a tab that keeps it closed with folding flaps underneath the top. Can anyone think of why this container wouldn't work, I'm looking for a reason not to go this route. http://www.clearbags.com/box/clear...rchival-food-safe-box-25-pieces-fplb174.html

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You're obviously new to the hobby and have little, if any experience with live spiders. Those boxes are an accident waiting to happen. Tarantulas are strong and determined escape artists, and would have little problem getting out of flimsy plastic like that. Whatever material is used needs to be thick, hard, and stiff or you'll be looking all over your house for escapees. I've had a tarantula break off pieces of a Plexiglas divider and others chew holes thru thick cork bark.

There's nothing that beats deli cups for slings and small juveniles. You can get them cheaply by the sleeve from restaurant supply stores, in an assortment of sizes.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You don't know how thick the plastic is do you?

I'd never use those too flexible and too thin.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
WAY too thin and flexible. Not even worth a minute's consideration.
100% agree

they arnt even that thick iv they use things like these in the floral dept. in a few stores around here.. they are about as flimsy as flick.. site says 12mil. but still able to be bent into shape so i woudlnt trust it for a second...not even to put smaller delis into for less rocky shipments.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
You're obviously new to the hobby and have little, if any experience with live spiders. Those boxes are an accident waiting to happen. Tarantulas are strong and determined escape artists, and would have little problem getting out of flimsy plastic like that. Whatever material is used needs to be thick, hard, and stiff or you'll be looking all over your house for escapees. I've had a tarantula break off pieces of a Plexiglas divider and others chew holes thru thick cork bark.

There's nothing that beats deli cups for slings and small juveniles. You can get them cheaply by the sleeve from restaurant supply stores, in an assortment of sizes.
Thanks for being a d*** about it, I've actually been in the hobby for about a year now, but I've been off arachnoboards the last 8 months because of replies like this. There are ways to give expert advice without coming off like a douchebag. As a matter of fact, I've had many conversations with you, one on one through messages , as well as on this forum. You, and everyone else, wants to say that they're too thin. They are actually thicker than deli cups, and as I stated before in the original post, they would be for the in between stage as a young adult to use between deli cups an the final adult size vivarium. Thanks for reminding me why I stopped hanging out on arachnoboards.

---------- Post added 11-29-2014 at 11:02 AM ----------

You don't know how thick the plastic is do you?

I'd never use those too flexible and too thin.
They are actually 12 millimeters thick, and thicker and stronger than the standard deli cups every raves about. So what's the big deal, why is everybody freaking out. As I mentioned in the original post, they would be used in the young adult stage between Deli Cup and final stage vivarium .

---------- Post added 11-29-2014 at 11:04 AM ----------

100% agree

they arnt even that thick iv they use things like these in the floral dept. in a few stores around here.. they are about as flimsy as flick.. site says 12mil. but still able to be bent into shape so i woudlnt trust it for a second...not even to put smaller delis into for less rocky shipments.
So you would put trantulas in Deli cups, but you wouldn't put them in this box made out of a plastic that's thicker and stronger than Deli cups? And they wouldn't be for adult stage tarantulas, they would be for the juvenile stage in between Deli cups and the adult size vivarium.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Thanks for being a d*** about it, I've actually been in the hobby for about a year now, but I've been off arachnoboards the last 8 months because of replies like this. There are ways to give expert advice without coming off like a douchebag. As a matter of fact, I've had many conversations with you, one on one through messages , as well as on this forum. You, and everyone else, wants to say that they're too thin. They are actually thicker than deli cups, and as I stated before in the original post, they would be for the in between stage as a young adult to use between deli cups an the final adult size vivarium. Thanks for reminding me why I stopped hanging out on arachnoboards.

They are actually 12 millimeters thick, and thicker and stronger than the standard deli cups every raves about. So what's the big deal, why is everybody freaking out. As I mentioned in the original post, they would be used in the young adult stage between Deli Cup and final stage vivacious.

So you would put trantulas in Deli cups, but you wouldn't put them in this box made out of a plastic that's thicker and stronger than Deli cups? And they wouldn't be for long adult stage tarantulas, they would be for the juvenile zinnia in adults the out grow the deli cops but aren't ready for the full time final stage vivarium.
No reason to rear up guy! We say this (or at least i do) because they fold to make the box.. tarantulas are strong and can and possibly would try to get under the plastic.. sure delicups are thinner then what they advertize this thickness these are (which seems odd to me itd be that thick but some of these are thicker..) but delis have secured lids. Idk about you but i wouldbt wana order thise then find out they had flemsy tops thats money diwn the drain..

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
No reason to rear up guy! We say this (or at least i do) because they fold to make the box.. tarantulas are strong and can and possibly would try to get under the plastic.. sure delicups are thinner then what they advertize this thickness these are (which seems odd to me itd be that thick but some of these are thicker..) but delis have secured lids. Idk about you but i wouldbt wana order thise then find out they had flemsy tops thats money diwn the drain..
Now see, that is a valid, intelligent argument, without a hint of disdain. Thank you for your reply. And I wasn't rearing up on you, it was strictly at poec for the way he opened his reply. When I was reading his reply, I flashed to a cheesy Hollywood movie, with somebody looking down their nose and talking down at me.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Now see, that is a valid, intelligent argument, without a hint of disdain. Thank you for your reply. And I wasn't rearing up on you, it was strictly at poec for the way he opened his reply. When I was reading his reply, I flashed to a cheesy Hollywood movie, with somebody looking down their nose and talking down at me.
Hah thanks..

But yea i bought something similar honestly before i had my Ts, thinking "what a great thing to use as a quarantine for hatchling geckos (they was like 6*8*3 saying 17mil)...and ill admit i waisted $40. Anything sat on it, even an egg, would cave in the top. the latches realy didnt stay, it had a flip top like cigarets (which raised concern on excapes with it so flimsy), and ofcourse the folding of the box made me nervous.. i ended up giving mine away. Mine probably wasnt realy 17mil but with strong Ts.. i wouldnt risk it, i mean its your animals dont let us tell u no. Were usually just concerned about the Ts safty as apised to its

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

They are actually 12 millimeters thick, and thicker and stronger than the standard deli cups every raves about. So what's the big deal, why is everybody freaking out. As I mentioned in the original post, they would be used in the young adult stage between Deli Cup and final stage vivarium .

So you would put trantulas in Deli cups, but you wouldn't put them in this box made out of a plastic that's thicker and stronger than Deli cups?
Love the attitude. Come out swinging. Spiders can't get out of deli cups, they snap shut, nothing to get a hold on, no cracks to exploit. They're thick enough because of their design. Anything that folds up has got opportunities for spiders. They're strong animals with nothing else to do all day. They dig thru hard compacted soils and clays in the wild. For a 'young adult stage' spider, 12 millimeters isn't a challenge at all if they can get their fangs in a crack anywhere. If you know so much more than we do, why ask us questions? We're prone to 'freaking out.' With a full year under your belt, you trump my meager 40 years in the hobby. What do I know? Having owned thousands of tarantulas in that time, and probably 150 species, I sometimes get carried away and think I've learned something about them. My apologies. And please, don't wait so long to drop by and lose your temper and call names. Such endearing traits.

---------- Post added 11-29-2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

Now see, that is a valid, intelligent argument, without a hint of disdain. Thank you for your reply. And I wasn't rearing up on you, it was strictly at poec for the way he opened his reply.
It doesn't take a genius (sorry Pyro) to able to see the flaws in keeping big, strong spiders in a folding box. Seemed like a funny question. The section of the forum reserved for more scientific discussions seemed an odd place to start this thread. But that's me 'just being me' again. Wasn't looking for a fight or argument. The concept of the post seemed silly, I went with it. For a guy whose 'always joking or being a smart ass' you seem wound kind of tight.

Last edited:

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Love the attitude. Come out swinging. Spiders can't get out of deli cups, they snap shut, nothing to get a hold on, no cracks to exploit. They're thick enough because of their design. Anything that folds up has got opportunities for spiders. They're strong animals with nothing else to do all day. They dig thru hard compacted soils and clays in the wild. For a 'young adult stage' spider, 12 millimeters isn't a challenge at all if they can get their fangs in a crack anywhere. If you know so much more than we do, why ask us questions? We're prone to 'freaking out.' With a full year under your belt, you trump my meager 40 years in the hobby. What do I know? Having owned thousands of tarantulas in that time, and probably 150 species, I sometimes get carried away and think I've learned something about them. My apologies. And please, don't wait so long to drop by and lose your temper and call names. Such endearing traits.

---------- Post added 11-29-2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

It doesn't take a genius (sorry Pyro) to able to see the flaws in keeping big, strong spiders in a folding box. Seemed like a funny question.
With all of that age and experience, why are you bantering like a little 13 year old teenage girl. I never said I knew more than you or anybody else, I only said I had been in the hobby for a year and I wasn't a complete noob, because that was the assumption you made of me when you opened your original reply. And, as long as you're asking, I pose the question to the boards to get thoughtful and polite responses from people like Viper. Just go back to getting the bunk beds ready for Stan's next visit, and try to keep in mind, that when somebody does ask a question, maybe the wise thing to do would be to answer questions without attacking the original poster, or better yet don't answer them at all. You are not the only authority on all things tarantula.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
It doesn't take a genius (sorry Pyro) to able to see the flaws in keeping big, strong spiders in a folding box. Seemed like a funny question.
No offence taken, im on ur side spider in colapsable box? Why even go thru the trouble to even glue or anything if its a temp home.. just buy a box ment for model car displays if ya want something 100% clear and "juvie sized".. but ofcours snap/peel top containera are a much better way to go if you wana be cheap

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's all in the design. Those fold up boxes would be a cinch for a determined juvenile or subadult to chew their way out of. They're not called "eight legged can openers" for nothing. Given a large enough vent hole in a deli cup, many would chew through those as well, though, as previously mentioned, the design is more prohibitive. I tend to rehouse on the large size to minimize the stress and expense of frequent rehousings, so no need for a mid-sized enclosure.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
No offence taken, im on ur side spider in colapsable box? Why even go thru the trouble to even glue or anything if its a temp home.. just buy a box ment for model car displays if ya want something 100% clear and "juvie sized".. but ofcours snap/peel top containera are a much better way to go if you wana be cheap
I guess I spoke too soon, you just had to fall in line behind poecc and throw in a little jab there at the end and call me cheap because I thought I found an inexpensive way to house spiders and wanted to share with people on the boards. I don't keep 5200 tarantulas I only have 15. And when I move them to these boxes they'll all line up one after the other on two or three rows of long shelves in a walk in closet I've converted to a spider room. They're not going to be stacked on top of one another, they're simply going to set on a shelf on display.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess I spoke too soon, you just had to fall in line behind poecc and throw in a little jab there at the end and call me cheap because I thought I found an inexpensive way to house spiders and wanted to share with people on the boards. Pardon me for having a question and for being defensive when somebody attacks me.
There's nothing wrong with seeking inexpensive enclosures. I do it myself. However, sometimes cheap can also = ineffective or downright dangerous for the tarantula. Nothing wrong with sharing your findings but, until it's been proven effective, a newcomer to the hobby could end up with an escaped or injured tarantula from following unproven "advise".

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I guess I spoke too soon, you just had to fall in line behind poecc and throw in a little jab there at the end and call me cheap because I thought I found an inexpensive way to house spiders and wanted to share with people on the boards. Pardon me for having a question and for being defensive when somebody attacks me.
Now your just drawing lines that arnt there.. like i said i HAVE bought these once apon a time (granted been 5yrs) for geckos..by "cheap" i was refering to not wanting to spend the like $6-10 on a single temp cage and getting snap top bowls at like walmart for ~1.50 each... i dont have room to talk i use sterilite just as "cheap".. you reading too far into it buddy..

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
There's nothing wrong with seeking inexpensive enclosures. I do it myself. However, sometimes cheap can also = ineffective or downright dangerous for the tarantula. Nothing wrong with sharing your findings but, until it's been proven effective, a newcomer to the hobby could end up with an escaped or injured tarantula from following unproven "advise".
Thanks for the reply I'll definitely take it under consideration.

---------- Post added 11-29-2014 at 12:20 PM ----------

Now your just drawing lines that arnt there.. like i said i HAVE bought these once apon a time (granted been 5yrs) for geckos..by "cheap" i was refering to not wanting to spend the like $6-10 on a single temp cage and getting snap top bowls at like walmart for ~1.50 each... i dont have room to talk i use sterilite just as "cheap".. you reading too far into it buddy..
I'm not your buddy, friend. That was a South Park reference, don't want any of you old geezers to have a heart attack, just trying to lighten the mood.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the reply I'll definitely take it under consideration.

---------- Post added 11-29-2014 at 12:20 PM ----------

I'm not your buddy, friend. That was a South Park reference, don't want any of you old geezers to have a heart attack, just trying to lighten the mood.
Woah firat time iv been called a geezer. I think i just earned my first wrinkle at 21! Im so excited...

Anywho, pal. Iv given my two cents on the boxes. Sense you just sitting here lifting your front four and showing me you fangs im done.. Good luck "young man"

Status
Not open for further replies.