theorization in progress.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thsi theory has been compiled by Draken Malhavoc and Terri Millard

Using terri's[ mizm] and my Collections of assorted Tarantula's this theory was gathered and somewhat Tested. Whille Handling terri's most aggressive Tarantulas [as I do usualy when I'm over there] I noted that when I cupped them in one hand and slowly flipped them over then opened my hand they would lay perfectly still no matter what you did to them as if in a trance and only would come to move when my hand was put onto an angle so they were no longer level to the ground and essentaily laying on an angle. This was attempted several times with several individuals several times each and each time was the same. So we tried with various species, Terri has the list and I'd appreciate her adding it and any of her thoughts when she gets online. The only species able to self right itself was a A. Avic. I will now attempt to describe The way I held them the best I can.

they would be walking on my hand and I would clasp my hand over them in a cup position, They then would try and push themselves through my thumb and my hand and I would ever so lightly grab them. folding my fingers around their tummy and slowly flip over my hand, My other hand could cover the bottum and my finger s would clasp over the opening that they were trying to push themselves through, as soon as my hand became level with the ground they would freeze, I gradualy released their feet from my fingers and opened my hand and procceeded to play with their legs chelicra fangs tummy abdomen without hassle. Infact terri got an excellent sexing picture from the ordeal.

and now I ask something alot of you may not wish to do, Would you please take your tarantulas [all of them your willing to attempt wthis with from docile to aggressive aboreal-burrowers] and attempt what I attempted with terri's and my tarantulas and post your results here, this is a theory and open to discussion so if you have anything to input it would be apprecieated.

[ps terri, Ticia's baby avic molted today at 10pm its almost finnished/finnished now. I was right about that one so hopefully I'll be right about Ms cobalt.]

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heteroscrodra! Stromatopelma!
Seriously, it would be interesting to see if all arboreals didn't bow down to this rule.

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And how many times were you bitten?
I would love to try that if I had the nerve. Maybe with my new chaco I'm getting this weekend. We'll see if I can "hypnotize" it:D like you did.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting research you have done there.

I think there are several other animals as well that will be paralyzed with some easy trick. People who use and keep falcons normally cover their heads to paralyze them. There is some way to do the same thing with crocodiles as well. I think there is several other examples too. Why not the tarantula?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I seem to have a nack not to be bit. my bite count currently is 0 lol.

and I know sharks when turned upside down become paralized. So please continue with your input it is greatly apprecieated.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
alligators and lobsters too but i still don'tunderstand ur instructions. can u take some pics like step by step

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Longbord1
alligators and lobsters too but i still don'tunderstand ur instructions. can u take some pics like step by step
I didn't quite get the instructions myself.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah, this is just Malhavoc's way of seeing how many people he can get bitten. ;) It's perverse entertainment, sure, but entertainment in all its glorious forms is one of God's most precious gifts! Embrace it, friends, and embrace your Heteroscodra too! Report back when you're done.

Steve

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I will Get terri to explain it as I am lacking and she has the power of pictures lol

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey! it worked on my dog!=D
She's snoring right now....,

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I've noticed similar 'paralysis' present in this position from utilising the carapace grip technique: when 'putting the spider down' and it tilts through these angles, it occurs...

It seems like a recipe for disaster asking people to do it though...

Is this how you mean? Looks like the spider is catching some Z's :}

Attachments

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just tried this madness with my 3.5" rosehair. Couldn't use the cup method so I gripped her between the legs and tried it. Didn't put her to sleep but it sure did slow her down. She was skittish when I took her out but by the end she mellowed out noticeably. Probably didn't do it right but I can see this happenning for sure. Anyone wanna sing a lullaby to my H. sp "Vietnam"? :D

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vanan
Just tried this madness with my 3.5" rosehair. Couldn't use the cup method so I gripped her between the legs and tried it. Didn't put her to sleep but it sure did slow her down. She was skittish when I took her out but by the end she mellowed out noticeably. Probably didn't do it right but I can see this happenning for sure. Anyone wanna sing a lullaby to my H. sp "Vietnam"? :D
I did it mutliple times with that species I believe [h longipedum?] and it worked liek a charm and yes thats what I ment I jsut didnt use a pinch hold.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah i don't think it works with rosies ive tried it before and it didn't work

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've done this with my adult female G. rosea and G. aureostriata... and I've seen pictures of people doing it with E. campestratus. Here's my rosie being cradled...

-Kelly

Last edited:

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when i bought my rosie the pet shop dude did that to show me the fangs and the t didn't move! i thought it just gave up or something...

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
O.K. here I am. I have escaped the madness of the cardboard boxes and I'm at the library!

What I'm seeing, and have done (!) is, when handling a T, gently put your hand over it and then turn everything over. When you remove the top hand, the T should be laying on it's back, as in the pics above. What is weird is that there is some sort of "trance" thing going on, you can try to lift their fangs, pet their feet, etc. And they do not attemt to turn over. I am wondering, is there some hormone or something released when they flip? When they molt, they are on their backs and are basically helpless... is this associated with this trance-like state?

Gosh, I didn't bring the list, but I do remember doing it with some of my most defesive individuals. H. lividum, H. longipedum (2 individuals), p. murinus RCF, p. murinus, H. gigas... then we tried it with some more passive ones. G. aureostriata, g. pulchra, a. avic. Only the a. avic showed any signs of attempting to turn over. By the time we are done, we will have done it with all 50 of my Ts. I DO have pics, but no internet, so I will post them Monday when I get back to work.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I suppose your theory is that that don't get paralysed when in pre-molt???

Also, I understand that some spiders flip on their back as a last try to threaten, what happens with those??

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This may not be totally related but when I flipped my rosehair earlier, I must have got some hairs into my palm. This is the first time for me feeling the wrath of urticating hairs. Can't imagine getting them in the eyes!!

MizM, you may be on to something about their "trance" state being related to when they moult. Although when moulting they don't stay "tranced" the whole time of course. Wonder if anyone has tried to see how long this "trance" state lasts.