communual p ornata

neilkane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi guys have just bought 4 pokie ornata and decided to put 3 of them together now been tog over a week and all seem ok. are in quite tall tank with lots of hiding places. only now r they constructing their webs 1 week later. 2 quite close and 1 hides in a branch lol. r hoping this will work but have read lota times that it fails. are all real young and small kinda fifty pence size. anyone else kep these tog or just communual speciess tog

Last edited:

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They will propably eat each other when they reach their juvenile state. If they are not even from the same eggsack the possibility is even bigger, that they will eat each other.

neilkane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ornata

what would you class as juveniles theve been through a couple of shreds and r bigger than fifty pence

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Please Keep us Posted on this

Neilkane I think most of us are very interested in what happens. Have
you noticed them competing for food at all?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I look forward to hearing your progress. I myself am starting a communal P. formosa project I currently have ten juveniles together and no probelms as of yet. When I fed them for the first time they all where feeding together.

Last edited:

neilkane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
p ornata

have not noticed fighting over food but i been keeping them well fed and all have their own hiding places. have not noticed any sort of contact as of yet

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting you have placed 3 juveniles in from what your description indicates a larger container.

My bet is there will still be some cannibalism,

I tried around 36 in a 5 L cerial container (same as all my other pokes)and within 3 weeks there was 4 left all big and fat.

Let is know how you get on.

Ray

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Cannibalism possibilities aside, any pokie communial experiment sounds like a nightmare to me. It's all I can do to keep my eye on one pokie in a container, much less three, four or more! :eek: :eek: Good luck!

neilkane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pokie

i actually bought 4 but kept one aside from my project just in case they decide not to be mates

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You're still lacking, at least in my opinion, about four pairs of eyes to keep tabs on them all while you do cage maintenance. LOL

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 4 P. formosa going in a make shift enclosure made from a 100ct cd container, when I started they were around 3/4" and are now 2" give or take a little anyway I have had them together for 9 months now without any cannibalism, they have a web retreat on the back of one of the two pieces of cork bark I have in there and they all share that for there home and I always see them sharing there food... I think I should be moving them into a larger enclosure real soon though, I will try and get some pics up here later... Greg

neilkane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pokie

sounds real good m8 hope mine goes as well as yours

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Took a few quick pics, little blured but you get the idea...
There make shift home:

There retreat:

And three of them kickin it together in there retreat:

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scolopendra55 said:
Are regalis more communal than ornata?
Yes in captivity they do better than ornata. Ornata doesn't work together at all. It is just a matter of time before they eat eachother, regardless of the amount of food you provide them. I have never heard of anyone who managed to keep them together untill adulthood, without most of them being killed.

Regarding regalis and formosa in groups, check this link.
http://www.star-reptiles.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15387

regalis again.
http://www.star-reptiles.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18019

neilkane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
regalis

supposedly ornata are not socially tollerant at all. but regalis are supposed to have more than one generation of family under one tree.

neilkane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
p ornata

great pics nice to see a whole bunch living toghether i only got 3 in a large tank just so they got their own space so no pics like yours of huge amounts in one area. will post some pics soon. my friend has a website for great pics of tarantulas just like yours should have a look. http://www.camberwellcarrot.net/T-Gallery/index.php