1" Sling with diskinetic syndrone....

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just put a pin head cricket in with the rosea and what an improvement. I did not prep the cricket at all. Just threw it in. Instantly the rosea reacted and pounced like a normal tarantula. BAM!!!
Wow. I feel real good right now!!!{D

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That little guy looks like it's doing awesome! Great job man. Glad someone is doing everything they can to try and alleviate some of these symptoms! A+++

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Talon,

Lovely success! Grats to you are the little 'gal'.. Cause we all know that's what she'll be :D

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
glad to hear the little guy is doing better.

varanus dwarfus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow! Looks congrats on getting this lil one out of it's rut.

Has anyone looked into whether or not DKS could be related to something that may happen in shipping (my thought is exposure to exhaust fumes or perhaps something like quick altitude changes). I'm a noob... hadn't heard of DKS until recently... I figure there may be multiple causes (seems like there is no definitive answer at this point).

Cawdy

Arachnopeon
Yay!
Im so glad the little one turned out okay :D
Amazing job on playing Dr. T! {D

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This little thing is a beast when it comes to feeding. This time I got a video of it. Really fast response.

[YOUTUBE]ITguoZliIs8[/YOUTUBE]

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats awesome man! I am glad to see the little guy/gal pulled through for ya..

:clap: :clap: Also great video..:clap: :clap:

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is no "syndrome", it's merely a set of symptoms. IMO, if called "DKS", the S should stand for Symptoms.

Dan

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is no "syndrome", it's merely a set of symptoms. IMO, if called "DKS", the S should stand for Symptoms.

Dan
Syndrome
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In medicine and psychology, the term syndrome refers to the association of several clinically recognizable features, signs (observed by a physician), symptoms (reported by the patient), phenomena or characteristics that often occur together, so that the presence of one feature alerts the physician to the presence of the others. In recent decades the term has been used outside of medicine to refer to a combination of phenomena seen in association.

The term syndrome derives from its Greek roots and means literally "run together", as the features do. It is most often used to refer to the set of detectable characteristics when the reason that they occur together (the pathophysiology of the syndrome) has not yet been discovered. A familiar syndrome name often continues to be used even after an underlying cause has been found, or when there are a number of different primary causes that all give rise to the same combination of symptoms and signs. Many syndromes are named after the physicians credited with first reporting the association; these are "eponymous" syndromes (see also the list of eponymous diseases, many of which are referred to as "syndromes"). Otherwise, disease features or presumed causes, as well as references to geography, history or poetry, can lend their names to syndromes.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndrome

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Syndrome
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In medicine and psychology, the term syndrome refers to the association of several clinically recognizable features, signs (observed by a physician), symptoms (reported by the patient), phenomena or characteristics that often occur together, so that the presence of one feature alerts the physician to the presence of the others. In recent decades the term has been used outside of medicine to refer to a combination of phenomena seen in association.

A spider that twitches is NOT a syndrome. It's a symptom of something else that causes the twitching.

If you saw a person lying on a couch, and this person had a high fever, you obviously wouldn't say that the fever is the cause of the problem, correct? You would know there is something else causing the fever. :rolleyes:

So why is this any different?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You are misunderstanding my point. The twitches are a symptom of the Syndrone.
No matter what your "Opinion" is, people will still call it what we all know it to be according to what it has a history of being.
Like you said "IMO". Thats only what it is "Your" opinion.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You are misunderstanding my point. The twitches are a symptom of the Syndrone.
Nope. I'm not misunderstanding your point. I completely understand how people can used a word in a misrepresented manner. Trust me, I got that concept a long time ago.

TalonAWD said:
No matter what your "Opinion" is, people will still call it what we all know it to be according to what it has a history of being. Like you said "IMO". Thats only what it is "Your" opinion.
I concur. My opinion is just an opinion, nothing else...
History of being? You mean a history of being called. ;)

I apologize; perhaps starting an argument wasn't in the best interest of everyone that will read this thread, I'm sure you are aware that there are many arguments that take place in numerous threads throughout AB, and they can get pretty annoying. If you want to discuss this further, just shoot me a PM so the thread won't get any more cluttered. And by the way, congrats on having the spider survive. That rarely happens...

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you!
And you are right. History of being called that.;)

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another update.
G. rosea sling molted again 1/03/10. Its eating perfectly fine and had has burrowed.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
nm...Bliss, are you referring to the fact that people are calling this Dyskinetic Syndrome and that the "dyskinetic" portion is not a syndrome?

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Iow...are you saying that DKS is an invalid name for a syndrome due to the first word being a symptom?

I.e., Down's Syndrome...not "Short & Stocky With Facial Abnormalities" Syndrome?

We could call it T-Keeper's Uh-Oh Syndrome...TKUOS? :D

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A spider that twitches is NOT a syndrome. It's a symptom of something else that causes the twitching.

If you saw a person lying on a couch, and this person had a high fever, you obviously wouldn't say that the fever is the cause of the problem, correct? You would know there is something else causing the fever. :rolleyes:

So why is this any different?
We call it DKS, because we A) don't know what it is and B)can't even be sure that all the cases are the same thing. So, we group all of these cases under the umbrella term 'DKS.' By calling it a syndrome, we are defining it correctly. We aren't trying to describe the symptoms with the term 'DKS,' we are trying to define the overall phenomenon. Therefore, your argument doesn't make any sense.