16-legged freaks

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
I was thinking the same thing :p! I mean they could all be twins for all we know and some just don't split up all the way.
But then you wouldn't get males and females in the same clutch. So I guess they're all technically fraternal twins then.

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They look like siamese twins. I hope they're doing well and that you can make it on guiness.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
DracosBana said:
But then you wouldn't get males and females in the same clutch. So I guess they're all technically fraternal twins then.
Lol how true I forgot about the gender difference. :p......... ok knew theory all the females are identical twins, and all the males are identical twins. :p

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Perhaps if i does make it to a molt. The infusion proccess will continue until the weakes bond of the mutation is absorbed. We've all seen how tarantulas can regernerate. and I do believe it will regester its 'twin' as damage and seek to repair it..

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where are their brains located? Do they even have centralized brains, or are they like earthworms with ganglia running all through their bodies? Is it possible that they could split during a molt and both survive?

Cannibal42069

Arachnopeon
That's a really cool set of pics, assuming they somehow manage to molt properly the two conjoined at the abdomen will probably need to be hand fed as I don't see how the one on top would be able to attack prey items.

inked

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah thats freaky.. ive never seen conjoined tarantulas...
will definately be interesting to see what happens with them...
i hope they pull through ok... good luck and keep us all informed!!

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
do they ever switch sides? The one on the top gets a chance to walk :p ;)

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Garrick said:
Hola!

I had a P. irminia case hatch out yesterday, and two of the 1st instars are, um, interesting.
I've seen eggs stuck together that didn't develop, and I've seen the infamous double-abdomen B. vagans in Russia, but I've never seen anything quite like this.

One has two opisthosomas with only 4 booklungs (there are only two on each opisthosoma). I don't see the epigastric plate. There are two cephalothoraxes (thoraxi?!), each with fangs, legs, eyes, etc.

Another has the 16 legs and two distinct cephs, but only onw abdomen. Here's the rub: that abdomen has eight lungs and two epigastric plates.

I doubt they'll live, but I was wondering if anyone has seen much of this and what happened.

Garrick
eight
You mentioned later in the thread that the female is wildcaught.

I wonder if there was some kind of contamination in her environment
that caused this? It reminds me of stories of deformed frogs that were found
somewhere with a contaminated water supply.

If they are 1st instar, they're past the "eggs with legs" stage, right? If that's
the case, they've already molted once, though I imagine future molts might
become more and more difficult.

It's an interesting situation. I hope they aren't too uncomfortable and can
survive ok, but I really don't think they'll last too long.

On the other hand, you never know! Interesting anomalies. :)

Wysi

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
I think its time for an update. :p
Well, the "normal" ones are starting to darken, but the "mutants" aren't.

Yes, both "sides" can walk!

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Garrick said:
Well, the "normal" ones are starting to darken, but the "mutants" aren't.

Yes, both "sides" can walk!
Very interesting, I imagined that both sides could walk. As for molting I've gone through it in my head and I can imagine that they should both beable to pop their tops and pull their legs out then the joined abdomen without much problem. Although it should work right in theory, but since they are joined there could be un-seeable problems. I really hope those two make it!

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is exactly what I was thinking, exposure to chemicals that didn't kill, just alter?

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when T's Moult they can correct problems. Missing legs abdomen issues etc...
what are the possibilities that when the tops pop they will seperate? since by the pics it almost looks as though they share an abdomen but the rest is not attached? its the inside of the T that changes when it molts and the exo comes off if they are attached only at the exo it might be possible...???

Abraxis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering what the final story is ??

Have the little critters passed on ? or have they continued spending a LOT of quality time together ??

Garrick ??

Peace Out

Ken

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
:eek: It'll be a miracle within the history of T keepers if they survive their next molt into 2nd instar. *fingers X*

Many years ago I saw a more or less full grown double headed snake in San Diego Zoo. But it's much easier with them - no legs!

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If they live much longer you could consider telling a news crew or something. Someone might be interested in doing a story on them. :)