37G Planted Viv for Avic

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
You can also collect leaf letter from outside. Oak and magnolia leaves work real well in planted vivs. I like to semi-sterilize leaf litter before before use by cooking it in a plastic over roaster bag at 300F for about 1/2 hour.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
I was thinking versicolor since the moment I saw that tank. Post something about wanting a female on the For Sale section. Make sure to mention you have stuff you can trade.

Not much else new with this setup. I'm still trying to track down a spider.

Does anybody out there have any tips (or offers) for finding a sub-adult A. versicolor or something similar? I'm on a budget, but I also have some nice stuff that I can offer in trade.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Thanks again everybody. I might have a spider to put in here later this coming week.

I just started putting together another smaller setup. I am still pondering livestock ideas for this one (?????). This one is an Exo Terra 12" X 12" X 18".

I liked the hanging manzanita feature a lot for the 37G and decided to make one for this tank too.

I htink I might plant this manzanita with some little mini orchids and ferns.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
I made a little more headway with the Exo Terra project. I attached long-fibre sphagnum moss to some of the manzanita branches. I will plant the mini orchids and ferns right onto the moss. I used 4 lb. fishing line and it took me a couple hours wrapping around and around and around.

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
Wow those tanks are gorgeous and I know this one is also going to look amazing. The display will look great I'm sure with a multi-colored T. Do you know when you will put the T in?

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Wow those tanks are gorgeous and I know this one is also going to look amazing. The display will look great I'm sure with a multi-colored T. Do you know when you will put the T in?
I found an A. versicolor and I just need to go pick it up. I might be able to go get it this week. The A. versicolor will go into the 37G. The Exo Terra will be too humid for a tarantula because I have to keep it moist for those plants. I am pondering maybe some kind of smaller roach in a little colony.

I put the planted manzanita feature into the Exo and here it is.

Now I need to plant into the bottom. I have some nice terrestrial ferns and other stuff to use in the bottom.

---------- Post added 06-17-2012 at 07:04 PM ----------

Here it is with the bottom planted and with leaf litter.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Well the A. versicolor that they had was sold, but I picked up a single A. diversipes sling. It's only ~.75" long and it's going to take me a while to grow it up.

I gotta get some pictures of it. It's really pretty.

I still hope to find an adult or near-adult spider to use as a display animal in this setup.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Here is the little A. diversipes. I had it outside while transferring it to its new somewhat larger jar enclosure. This is the last time I try to handle a baby avic. It's super fast and almost got away from me.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Here's another plant that I've been real happy with. This is the tuberous aroid Amorphophallus konjac. This plant eventually grows very large (6'+), but this specimen will not get any bigger this season. When the foliage dies back down later this fall I can just lift it out of the setup and save it to grow as a houseplant next year.

Like other related plants it has this unique parasol foliage formed of a single compound leaf.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
I just got another big crate of manzanita via UPS. I am pondering doing yet another setup for a 20 High fish tank and making another one of these drop-in manzanita features. I have plenty of plants around here anyway.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Here’s another quick picture showing that rear panel console. This covers up part of the enclosure top while also holding a circulation fan, digital temperature & humidity gauges and screen vents.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
This is a different setup, but I wanted to copy it while I had the link handy. This is a 65G display for a single Hyla versicolor tree frog. I set it up with a Forest Floor kit and used quite a few different ferns along with other plants. The frog seems to like it in there.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Thanks so much SuperMommy! I'll have more pictures on the way pretty soon.

These planted setups are easy!

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
I really like this spider.

This is just exactly what I envisioned for this setup.