A 3 year experiment

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
"My tarantula recognizes me, my tarantula recognizes my voice, he walks up to me when I come"

These are some of the most ridiculous things I've read people claim on social media about their tarantulas. These claims irritated me so bad that I conducted a little experiment.

3 years ago, March 14, 2020, just at the start of the pandemic and just at the beginning of lockdowns; I had an idea to have a little experiment of my own to see if tarantulas can really "learn". To challenge their cognitive ability if you must.

I wanted to see if my specimens will be able to differentiate prey with something unedible. I have a steady supply of superworms and this is what I feed my tarantulas 99%, of the time. On the other end, I wanted to make it a bit easier for them and went with a sponge that I've glued on the tip of a paint brush. My thinking was the texture of superworms and a sponge are so different that if they do possess some capabilities to learn and remember things outside of their instincts, this would be easier.

The tarantulas that were involved in this experiment were single specimens of T. blondi, T. apophysis, T. epicureanus, P. victori and L. parahybana.

Every time before feeding, I would use the tickle method that researchers use in the field to lure out tarantulas and I would use the sponge multiple times. For 3 years, I have done this and for 3 years my specimens have failed to recognize that the sponge is not prey. The only time they would run away from the sponge is when they are in premolt.

So in conclusion, if tarantulas can't even recognize a sponge from a superworm; how the heck are people claiming theirs can recognize them?
NO! TARANTULAS CAN'T RECOGNIZE YOU!

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
"My tarantula recognizes me, my tarantula recognizes my voice, he walks up to me when I come"

These are some of the most ridiculous things I've read people claim on social media about their tarantulas. These claims irritated me so bad that I conducted a little experiment.

3 years ago, March 14, 2020, just at the start of the pandemic and just at the beginning of lockdowns; I had an idea to have a little experiment of my own to see if tarantulas can really "learn". To challenge their cognitive ability if you must.

I wanted to see if my specimens will be able to differentiate prey with something unedible. I have a steady supply of superworms and this is what I feed my tarantulas 99%, of the time. On the other end, I wanted to make it a bit easier for them and went with a sponge that I've glued on the tip of a paint brush. My thinking was the texture of superworms and a sponge are so different that if they do possess some capabilities to learn and remember things outside of their instincts, this would be easier.

The tarantulas that were involved in this experiment were single specimens of T. blondi, T. apophysis, T. epicureanus, P. victori and L. parahybana.

Every time before feeding, I would use the tickle method that researchers use in the field to lure out tarantulas and I would use the sponge multiple times. For 3 years, I have done this and for 3 years my specimens have failed to recognize that the sponge is not prey. The only time they would run away from the sponge is when they are in premolt.

So in conclusion, if tarantulas can't even recognize a sponge from a superworm; how the heck are people claiming theirs can recognize them?
Well, I connect with my T's on more of a spiritual level - it's not always about visual or tactile senses. We can feel each others' energies. :rofl: :yuck:

Good experiment. I'll bet you went through a few pieces of sponge given the participants.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +

Your animals are broken....not to mention antisocial. just give them another 4 years to learn and respond to you.It takes time to bond with a T.Way to much evidence that they do know us.
Fake News.

Last edited:

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Well, I connect with my T's on more of a spiritual level - it's not always about visual or tactile senses. We can feel each others' energies. :rofl: :yuck:

Good experiment. I'll bet you went through a few pieces of sponge given the participants.
When my Theraphosas reached a certain size, I was basically having a tug of war lol

I was using the cheap sponges and they were quick to deteriorate. At one time, my T. blondi took it and just wouldn't let go. I was cleaning many small bits of sponges in her enclosure for HOURS the next day.

Your animals are broken....not to mention antisocial. just give them another 4 years to learn and respond to you.It takes time to bond with a T.Way to much evidence that they do know us.
Fake News.
I give up lol my specimens went from sling to mature females not knowing the difference.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
love the funny posts here, but I don’t think eyesight is a great method for studying possible learning in Theraphosidae regardless if it’s a sponge that looks different than prey to us. They don’t rely on eyesight to differentiate objects the same way we do. Obviously we know they don’t come to regard their captors with Stockholm like affection as some people believe. But I also know they 100% are capable of learning to a different degree, “human intelligence” is not the only type of intelligence, humans forget they are animals first and foremost haha.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
love the funny posts here, but I don’t think eyesight is a great method for studying possible learning in Theraphosidae regardless if it’s a sponge that looks different than prey to us. They don’t rely on eyesight to differentiate objects the same way we do. Obviously we know they don’t come to regard their captors with Stockholm like affection as some people believe. But I also know they 100% are capable of learning to a different degree, “human intelligence” is not the only type of intelligence, humans forget they are animals first and foremost haha.
I wasn't going for eyesight. Like I've said, I went with the sponge because of its texture. The texture difference between a sponge and a superworm which is what I feed the specimens are miles apart. They "feel" their prey before picking it up or biting in to it. I was hoping that with the span of this experiment, they would at least differentiate a sponge from a superworm. But unfortunately, they did not.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I wasn't going for eyesight. Like I've said, I went with the sponge because of its texture. The texture difference between a sponge and a superworm which is what I feed the specimens are miles apart. They "feel" their prey before picking it up or biting in to it. I was hoping that with the span of this experiment, they would at least differentiate a sponge from a superworm. But unfortunately, they did not.
Oh gotcha I guess I misread your original point. Also they would not attack it if it was not made to move. They do learn and sense thubgs in their environment that they know are not food!

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Oh gotcha I guess I misread your original point. Also they would not attack it if it was not made to move. They do learn and sense thubgs in their environment that they know are not food!
That's the point. I was making it move like it was prey and the experiment was if they can, in time ; learn the texture of the sponge and learn that it was not prey and cannot be eaten. But again, they did not after countless tries. They actually never ignored or ran away from the sponge unless they were in premolt.

At one time, the T. epicureanus ran away from the superworm and tried to eat the sponge. Another one, mentioned above - my T. blondi tried to eat the sponge, even did a happy dance but just tore it up when it realized it couldn't eat it. By that, I thought it would "learn" but no, the next try; she went after the sponge again.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your data is off because your tarantulas are dumb, and the other owners have smarter Ts, it’s as clear as glass!

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It has occurred to me that maybe you can condition Ts like Pavlov's dog. What if you hit a tuning fork every time you feed them? They might learn to associate that vibration with food. It probably sounds a little like a flying insect to them.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
It has occurred to me that maybe you can condition Ts like Pavlov's dog. What if you hit a tuning fork every time you feed them? They might learn to associate that vibration with food. It probably sounds a little like a flying insect to them.
I would think that the difference of texture between a sponge and superworm would be enough. Another is, since they have chemoreceptors on their "feet"; I assumed 3 years of doing what I did consistently would be enough for them to learn.

Your data is off because your tarantulas are dumb, and the other owners have smarter Ts, it’s as clear as glass!
Well... I wouldn't argue with that

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I've read about experiments with fruit flies. You can make them turn right or left, based upon reward or punishment. They remember stuff. Maybe they're smarter than spiders, or maybe it's easier to assess their behavior. They tend to be more active than tarantulas.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
I've read about experiments with fruit flies. You can make them turn right or left, based upon reward or punishment. They remember stuff. Maybe they're smarter than spiders, or maybe it's easier to assess their behavior. They tend to be more active than tarantulas.
I believe tarantulas are more primitive creatures

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Another observation from one of my Aphonopelma mooreae -

Yesterday, I saw it digging out some substrate from its burrow or so I thought. It would carry out some substrate out of its burrow and then pick up the same clump and put it back in, pick up the same clump, put it back in, pick up the same clump and put it back in. I watched it do this cycle for 30 mins straight. After 5 hours, as I was doing my final checks before going to bed; it was still doing the same cycle.

So yeah, they're absolutely beautiful creatures but yeah lol

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Well that proves it. Your tarantula is definitely broken. After removing substrate it goes in the water dish.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Another observation from one of my Aphonopelma mooreae -

Yesterday, I saw it digging out some substrate from its burrow or so I thought. It would carry out some substrate out of its burrow and then pick up the same clump and put it back in, pick up the same clump, put it back in, pick up the same clump and put it back in. I watched it do this cycle for 30 mins straight. After 5 hours, as I was doing my final checks before going to bed; it was still doing the same cycle.

So yeah, they're absolutely beautiful creatures but yeah lol
Get it on video next time prove these poor creatures also suffering from short term memory loss . I had one bury both water dishes with moss. :cool:😵💫

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Get it on video next time prove these poor creatures also suffering from short term memory loss . I had one bury both water dishes with moss. :cool:😵💫
I'll try to get a video next time. She's very light sensitive so it's gonna be a bit difficult. Also, it's very mesmerizing to see their "intelligence" in action lol

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
They May have been Attacking the "Surrogate Sponge" not as Prey, but as an Invader into It's Territory, Self Defence so to speak.
Tear that Sponge to Shreds. lol

Last edited: