A. geniculata keeps putting dirt in water bowl

Azuiden

Arachnopeon
My A. geniculata is a juvie, not sure if that's important, and this behavior isn't causing any problems but it has me very curious. She seems to be deliberately putting her substrate in the water- she doesn't accidently kick it in, she intentionally puts it in the bowl. I know this because the bowl was a bit too big so I put a rock in there for her to navigate over but still allow her to drink around it if she wanted, and she shoves little balls of dirt in those corners. At some point she picks them up again and puts them somewhere else (I have caught her moving them out but only once, most of the dirt moving seems to happen while I'm asleep). In her old enclosure she seemed to be stacking all her wet dirt in one corner.

I've been trying to rationalize it... Is her substrate not damp enough and shes fixing the problem herself? Does she just hate water?? Wondering if anyone else has seen similar behaviors in their own T's.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
My A. geniculata is a juvie, not sure if that's important, and this behavior isn't causing any problems but it has me very curious. She seems to be deliberately putting her substrate in the water- she doesn't accidently kick it in, she intentionally puts it in the bowl. I know this because the bowl was a bit too big so I put a rock in there for her to navigate over but still allow her to drink around it if she wanted, and she shoves little balls of dirt in those corners. At some point she picks them up again and puts them somewhere else (I have caught her moving them out but only once, most of the dirt moving seems to happen while I'm asleep). In her old enclosure she seemed to be stacking all her wet dirt in one corner.

I've been trying to rationalize it... Is her substrate not damp enough and shes fixing the problem herself? Does she just hate water?? Wondering if anyone else has seen similar behaviors in their own T's.
I wouldn't worry about the dirt moving. I would however worry about putting rocks in the enclosure...
If you can post pics people can help more

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
It's literally one of the most common things that T's do. No one is exactly sure why, nothing to worry about

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Could try moving the water dish. The way you make it sound...possibly consider a smaller water dish and ditch that rock; just going to harbor bacteria

Azuiden

Arachnopeon
I dont really understand why everyones replying to this like I have a problem, I was just curious with what she was doing. oh my god

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
because you could have done a search "dirt in water bowl" and got half a dozen answers

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Honestly, I have no idea whatsoever why they do that, but it's pretty normal. All of mine do it as well

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member

If you want to know if it is deliberately putting dirt in the water, then move the water somewhere else in the cage a few times. If it puts the dirt in the water no matter where the water is, then you can say it is deliberately putting dirt there. If the tarantula is putting dirt in the water, then moving the wet dirt somewhere else, then it might be smart enough to know that wet dirt is easier to move than dry dirt.

Maybe because you wrote it that way?

🤣🤣🤣🤣
The first sentence of the original post says "...this behavior isn't causing any problems..." so it is odd anyone would reply as if there was a problem. The question is not "is it normal?" or "should I worry about it?", the question is asking for insights as to why an Acanthoscurria geniculata would be putting dirt in the water.

wonderful

Arachnosquire
It’s kinda like how cats like to knock stuff over. Like opossums playing opossum. It’s just what they do. Their daddy tarantula did it before them, their grand-tarantula did it before daddy t.

quick edit: now I’m going to have Hank William Jr’s song “family Tradition” stuck in my head. 🤠

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Normal

Morganlumer

Arachnopeon
My A gen also loves to cover her water dish (also a Juevie). I have a theory. They have nice soft substrate, moss ect (mine does) to walk upon and they then feel a hard, cold plastic water dish. They instinctively cover it as they would a stone or sharp stick in their burrow- for ‘comfort’. I suspect many terrestrials like A gen treat their entire enclosure as a burrow.

just my two cents 😊👍

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
It has been hypothesized that water in the wild would be moving, so anything put in water would flow away from them. Poop and boluses also get deposited in water dishes.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It has been hypothesized that water in the wild would be moving, so anything put in water would flow away from them. Poop and boluses also get deposited in water dishes.
I’m certain that in the wild they are feeding the fish 🐟 boluses?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
why you have a pile of spare 'bowls'. Why experienced collectors have a bucket of gatorade lids

herpetogeorgie

Arachnopeon
I have a theory that if they're not thirsty they just see a water dish as a big hole that needs filling.

Just watched my auratum drag a huge clump of moss from the corner into her dish and then ram it down her hide so it's either what I've said or she doesn't like the way I've decorated