A. Metallica not eating, abdomen i

CBickert

Arachnopeon
That's actually perfect. No need to drill holes in the top though. Holes on the top would defeat the purpose of a microclimate in there. :)
Now I am not insulting or questioning your (or anyones) intelligence, but because you posted last about this I have to use your quote. Now there is a lot of talk about top ventilation killing the micro climate and I want to address this. Technically this is "stack ventilation" which many are against, however most agree with "cross ventilation"

By assuming that cross (side) ventilation keeps the micro climate, we have to assume that the air at the top of the enclosure is not affected by the air moving through the enclosure. To me this doesn't seem very logical. For me, I would think the air no matter the direction would take the micro climate out of the enclosure. Less humid air going through the more humid enclosure in either configuration would make them seem equal.

I would love to see someone have the exact same enclosure set up, exact same size vents, but one configuration in a cross and the other in a stack and compare the humidity levels and temperature since it seems that is what we are concerned about.

This is just a clarification post about something I have been reading for years. I wonder if anyone has actually done the tests to approve this information or it just got passed along as accurate. Thanks all.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Looks a bit dry for a avic. Up the humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
avics should be kept dry, not moist, a water bowl provides all the humidity it needs

---------- Post added 04-19-2015 at 02:10 PM ----------

Now I am not insulting or questioning your (or anyones) intelligence, but because you posted last about this I have to use your quote. Now there is a lot of talk about top ventilation killing the micro climate and I want to address this. Technically this is "stack ventilation" which many are against, however most agree with "cross ventilation"

By assuming that cross (side) ventilation keeps the micro climate, we have to assume that the air at the top of the enclosure is not affected by the air moving through the enclosure. To me this doesn't seem very logical. For me, I would think the air no matter the direction would take the micro climate out of the enclosure. Less humid air going through the more humid enclosure in either configuration would make them seem equal.

I would love to see someone have the exact same enclosure set up, exact same size vents, but one configuration in a cross and the other in a stack and compare the humidity levels and temperature since it seems that is what we are concerned about.

This is just a clarification post about something I have been reading for years. I wonder if anyone has actually done the tests to approve this information or it just got passed along as accurate. Thanks all.
The thing is, well what I'm actually assuming, is that humid air tends to go upwards, now with top ventilation it would escape more faster than it would with cross-ventilation, top ventilation also only provides airflow at the top, making it stuffy at the bottom, where cross-ventilation provides fresh airflow both at the bottom and top, without effecting the humidity level as much as top ventilation would.. just my theory, so hope someone else with a better answer can chime in here

Last edited:

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have kept a large number of different Avics over the years and can say that cross ventilation is essential especially with slings that being said I often also add top ventilation albeit a lesser amount of it as air flow is what Avics seem to like. with these animals it seems to be all about humidity and air. on the feeding question I will have to say if it is a mature male he may not eat much watch to see if he sperm webs then you will know and possibly the little critter is still acclimating and is not interested in food just keep trying and if the guy\gal dose not eat after a bit take the food out and try again later.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I have kept a large number of different Avics over the years and can say that cross ventilation is essential especially with slings that being said I often also add top ventilation albeit a lesser amount of it as air flow is what Avics seem to like. with these animals it seems to be all about humidity and air. on the feeding question I will have to say if it is a mature male he may not eat much watch to see if he sperm webs then you will know and possibly the little critter is still acclimating and is not interested in food just keep trying and if the guy\gal dose not eat after a bit take the food out and try again later.
that avic isn't an MM, looks to be still immature, probably sub-adult..

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess I did not look at the pic did not see one at the top and just skipped to the end to post ya looking at the pic I have to agree that it looks to be a sub-adult.
still Ts can go long periods with out eating just keep trying and when it is hungry it will eat.

Herpcrazy

Arachnopeon
Well I understand airflow is a big issue when keeping humidity up. That's generally people's problem with avic and where the misconception of proper humidity with a avics go.. I have 7 of em now, I keep them fairly humid as they are a arboreal. Btw when I went to the Amazon to study the a. Diversipes and other avics indigenous to the area, the rainforest was definitely not dry. Not that u need to go there to know that. let's remember we try to mimic the natural habitats husbandry.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Well I understand airflow is a big issue when keeping humidity up. That's generally people's problem with avic and where the misconception of proper humidity with a avics go.. I have 7 of em now, I keep them fairly humid as they are a arboreal. Btw when I went to the Amazon to study the a. Diversipes and other avics indigenous to the area, the rainforest was definitely not dry. Not that u need to go there to know that. let's remember we try to mimic the natural habitats husbandry.

More keepers have success keeping avics dry (with an occasional dribbling of a little bit of water on the substrate), than keeping them moist.. most "my dead avic" threads here is because of moist stuffy enclosures..

I guess sometimes it depends also on where you live and the overall climate of your area

Last edited:

Herpcrazy

Arachnopeon
Agreed. I live in the mountains, pretty dry air. For my pokies and avics anyway. so I do what I must. But lack of airflow is what makes it a problem to keep a enclosure moderately damp..Creating ( like u said stuffy enclosures.)

cold blood

Staff member
let's remember we try to mimic the natural habitats husbandry.
Maybe you do, but I do not. Natural habitats are unstable and are in constant flux. I aim to provide the best possible conditions and maintain that....no floods, no heavy rains, no high winds, no predators, no cold snaps or drought periods, heck, not even a single live plant. In captivity we don't provide natural conditions, we aim to provide ideal conditions (or as close to that as we can), which nature can only provide a portion of the time...there's a reason most animals live significantly longer lives in captivity.

An enclosure with true natural conditions would probably cost a small fortune just to set up, not to mention the tremendous pain in the butt it would be to maintain.

I, however, do agree that that particular enclosure does look drier than I would personally keep it...that's like rosehair dry in there.

---------- Post added 04-19-2015 at 01:15 PM ----------

Agreed. I live in the mountains, pretty dry air. For my pokies and avics anyway. so I do what I must. But lack of airflow is what makes it a problem to keep a enclosure moderately damp..Creating ( like u said stuffy enclosures.)
+1 I agree.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
+ 1 CB, I'd probably also make it a bit more moist, but not as moist as I do my psalmos or my poeci