A new enclosure question

Bill Myers

Arachnopeon
I'd get rid of the frog stickers on the glass. Too distracting for a desert dwelling tarantula.

;P

Cheers

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I LOVED this thread. LOL It was a lot of fun. As mentioned as well, this IS Tarantula CHAT forum, that right there was a clue that it wasn't for reals... Enclosure advice would have been in Questions and discussions or even the enclosure forum. The next clue was the fact that blue clearly knows how to research properly and set up a proper enclosure by the set up she arranged for her little GBB sling. The next clue was.... a look at the calendar. The last clue was that Blue was thanking everyone for their posts that were adding to the joke.

honestly if the experts and stuff on the boards can't take a little bit of humor every now and then I don't want to be here. A joke and camaraderie is as important in a community like this as the more serious discussions and questions in the questions and discussions forum.

Thank you Blue for a fantastic gag... it was awesome. :)

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I LOVED this thread. LOL It was a lot of fun. As mentioned as well, this IS Tarantula CHAT forum, that right there was a clue that it wasn't for reals... Enclosure advice would have been in Questions and discussions or even the enclosure forum. The next clue was the fact that blue clearly knows how to research properly and set up a proper enclosure by the set up she arranged for her little GBB sling. The next clue was.... a look at the calendar. The last clue was that Blue was thanking everyone for their posts that were adding to the joke.

honestly if the experts and stuff on the boards can't take a little bit of humor every now and then I don't want to be here. A joke and camaraderie is as important in a community like this as the more serious discussions and questions in the questions and discussions forum.

Thank you Blue for a fantastic gag... it was awesome. :)
You're welcome! It was great fun while it lasted.

However -- credit (or blame, heh) where it's due: he's being humble but TBenz also had a hand in it. The idea came up while we were PMing and was a partnered effort. In fact, the pics are his. I thought up the scenario and posted. We knew if he posted it no one would buy it for a second, so it had to be me! :laugh:

I'm really fond of the common name I came up with though. I wonder if I can get me one of those. ;)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, I just planted the seed and designed the enclosure, Blueandbluer fertilized it and made it work. I think that between the two of us, we managed to exaggerate most of the enclosure and care missteps...

Gravel as a substrate? Check
To low a level of substrate? Check
Mentioning the use of a hot-rock? Check. (I couldn't find the old one I have or it would have been in there)
A very dangerous decorative plant? Check
A heat lamp the size of the sun, scale wise? Check.
Using a common name that would mean nothing and was ridiculous instead of a Latin name? Check.(That was all Blue, and it was a good one!)? Check.
Sponge for a water source? Check.
Taking advice from a LPS employee? Check.
Inappropriate food? Check. (I'll cop to seeing the old jar of freeze dried crickets as I gathered components and cackling with glee, but her saying that the LPS owner recommended them because they were easier to keep was sheer genius and really made that part work.)

One thing I tried but didn't really work well was a heavy misting, it didn't really show up well enough. Ii I had thought of it, I would have put water in, covered it, and left it to steam up a bit before taking the pictures.

But that's about all I had to do with it, it was the delivery that made it work. I chose not to enter the thread because I was afraid someboody might notice the stench of possum and put two and two together. I only decided to participate when I thought it was starting to go off the rails.

I told Blue that the enclosure should be marketed, it was such a horrible habitat. "Horritats: Killing your spiders so YOU don't have to!" :D

I'm glad (most of) of you enjoyed it, Blue deserves a big round of applause. She made it work. She also sacrificed any chance of getting into the pro's clubhouse in order to entertain you! ;)

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
I think I can help sum up everyone's sentiment... need more heat lamp. See the top of that enclosure? You can easily clamp another 4-5 lamps, and you can even alternate spectrums. For a true desert species, like your new Rose Foot, you'll really want that heat-rock too. They can't digest without it.

Love it! Moar pix!!
Dying laughing right now lmao!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Gee Blue,How does it feel to know that this gag is your legacy? You could probably discover a new species of spider, find the cure for DKS, stamp out parasitic nematodes, learn to psychoanalyze OBTs to make them a kinder, gentler spider and then see somebody say "Blueandbluer? Oh yeah, she pulled the fake enclosure April Fool's Day prank!":D

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Gee Blue,How does it feel to know that this gag is your legacy? You could probably discover a new species of spider, find the cure for DKS, stamp out parasitic nematodes, learn to psychoanalyze OBTs to make them a kinder, gentler spider and then see somebody say "Blueandbluer? Oh yeah, she pulled the fake enclosure April Fool's Day prank!":D
Which was pure brilliance and sheer genius IMO. I'm still giggling about it.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
You know, I am 6000% at peace with that. There are worse things to be known for than making people smile.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I realized what today is and in lieu of having any ideas for tarantula mischief, I decided to dig this up. The responses were hilarious. I miss Blue hanging around here. I wonder how her Rose Foot Baboon Bird-eater is doing...