A sort of disappointment and a new found interest.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't want a fiesty brachy, I would want a calm one. Now a fiesty Nhandu or Pampho, that's another story

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Oh Poec we have gone through this time and time again. S. calceatum is not on my mind even a little. Lampropelmas exist but are not on my top 10 list.
Not referring to those, just your fascination with defensive species in general.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Well my experience in keeping was a Pampho that was very bitey and a couple of psalmos

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
i said shrubs and bushes. and yes it does, partially live above ground. that is what semi-arboreal means.
Right or wrong, in the hobby the term 'arboreal' gets tagged on anything that sometimes may live off the ground, which can be a foot or two. Then some people take that and run with it, assuming that species always lives way up in trees. 'Semi-arboreal' isn't necessarily used any more precisely by the average spider person.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Another feisty NW T of the Brachypelma genus - vagans. Bear in mind this is coming from my limited experience and what I've seen from watching Jon3800's vids, but from what I've seen B. vagans can be just as spunky as my LD slings. And fast! Mine gives my P. regalis a run for its money if it's disturbed.

The only thing that might turn you off is that some of them tend to be pet holes - mine only comes out of its burrows at night, but when I do get to see it it's awesome. They have a fantastic feeding response - my vagans is the only one in my collection I've seen throw itself on its back in the process of taking down crickets. LOL

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yes it did.

:}
Call out any one point in the video where it is climbing a bush. It simply doesn't. It climbs on Rick himself when he handles it, but it is found on the ground at any other point in the video. Even when its in the shallow webbed burrow near the base of a shrub at 8:47, its clearly at ground level and is flipped over onto xeric earth when threat posturing.

xkris

Arachnosquire
Call out any one point in the video where it is climbing a bush. It simply doesn't. It climbs on Rick himself when he handles it, but it is found on the ground at any other point in the video. Even when its in the shallow webbed burrow near the base of a shrub at 8:47, its clearly at ground level and is flipped over onto xeric earth when threat posturing.
at night time when its active it climbs around. dude looks for it on the bush, that includes the branches. and pick it up from the base of the bush.
some arboreals have ground lvl burrows, so that proofs nothing.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
So this thread is far from original point but its entertaining.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I fail to see how this semi-arboreal [slang term for urination] contest is relevant to the OP's question. Just sayin'.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
at night time when its active it climbs around. dude looks for it on the bush, that includes the branches. and pick it up from the base of the bush.
some arboreals have ground lvl burrows, so that proofs nothing.
So now you're saying it climbs around the branches at night, but they aren't showing it in the video? You previously stated you saw it climb bushes. There are several night shots in the video, all of which show it in a terrestrial context. I'm sure it climbs around to an extent at night, like some other spiders. Doesn't mean it resides up in a bush somewhere. You may have climbed up a tree a few times as a kid, but that doesn't mean I can label you semi-arboreal. "Dude" doesn't look for it on the bush, he's trying not to hit his head on a branch while getting to the base.

Just saying "they're semi-arboreal" with nothing to back it up "proofs" nothing. Will they profusely web up a 12 inch tall enclosure in captivity? Sure. But that isn't any kind of proof of an arboreal (or semi-arboreal) lifestyle.

I fail to see how this semi-arboreal [slang term for urination] contest is relevant to the OP's question. Just sayin'.
I'm not interested in a "pissing match", I'm interested in the presenting the facts and relevant habitat information for those who come here seeking it. Instead, its starting to feel like I'm getting baited into some sort of teenage forum game by someone who doesn't share that same intent. I suppose her tongue-wagging smiley and contradictions should have been an early indicator. Just sayin'.

xkris

Arachnosquire
and this video is the bible? and were you present so you know what hes trying?
still proves nothing.
they are semi-arboreal.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
and this video is the bible? and were you present so you know what hes trying?
still proves nothing.
they are semi-arboreal.
Would you please stop?

---------- Post added 10-14-2014 at 11:49 AM ----------

So now you're saying it climbs around the branches at night, but they aren't showing it in the video? You previously stated you saw it climb bushes. There are several night shots in the video, all of which show it in a terrestrial context. I'm sure it climbs around to an extent at night, like some other spiders. Doesn't mean it resides up in a bush somewhere. You may have climbed up a tree a few times as a kid, but that doesn't mean I can label you semi-arboreal. "Dude" doesn't look for it on the bush, he's trying not to hit his head on a branch while getting to the base.

Just saying "they're semi-arboreal" with nothing to back it up "proofs" nothing. Will they profusely web up a 12 inch tall enclosure in captivity? Sure. But that isn't any kind of proof of an arboreal (or semi-arboreal) lifestyle.

I'm not interested in a "pissing match", I'm interested in the presenting the facts and relevant habitat information for those who come here seeking it. Instead, its starting to feel like I'm getting baited into some sort of teenage forum game by someone who doesn't share that same intent. I suppose her tongue-wagging smiley and contradictions should have been an early indicator. Just sayin'.
And you too.

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm going to coin the GBB "semi-shrubboreal" because mine climbs up the Pothos and webs at the top of terrestrial enclosure, 4" off substrate.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well if you want a confrontational spider that isn't too out of your skill range then I would say a pampho is a good fit. Their care is not super complicated, you'll see them all the time and they are very pretty. Mine has never tried to hair me but will slap with legs and thump the ground with its body and loves to attack water. Another interesting one I have is my H.sp Columbia, while not defensive it tries with all its might to get out of the container, it appears to "track" me while I'm opening the cage and repeatedly tries to get out. Though if you want cranky, I will send you my P.metallica, it gives my boyfriend a threat pose every morning, only him though.