A tense moment.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Okay, let me preface this thread by copping to breaking one of the rules with my G. rosea. I've had this spider for 11 years. And in those 11 years, the thing has only scaled the tank walls one time, (to my knowledge, but I suppose that after lights are out it may climb up and do a trapeze act for all I know) and that was when it was dissatisfied with the fresh substrate I put in there which was still just a tiny bit damp. So, I've never filled it's tank to the prescribed level in case of a fall. Yeah, I know, Bad on me! Now to tonight's event...

I noticed its water bowl was dry. So, I removed the deli cups of slings from the top of her cage and removed the sliding lid. Retrieved the water bowl, cleaned it, filled it, and put it back. The spider ignored me. So, I turn around to get the deli cups, and realized that I really should replace the cage lid before putting them back on top :eek:, and after I got the lid and returned my attention back on the cage, I saw this. (See photo)

Somehow the spider managed to zip up the corner. Now, as I've said, I've had this spider for 11 years, and would have said it couldn't zip anywhere even if you dosed it with meth-amphetamines then and shot 2000 volts into it. To say I was startled and stunned would be an understatement. But, I didn't have long to remain that way. The cage sits atop a chest of drawers. If the silly thing would have decided to vault that rim, it would have been nearly a five-foot drop to the floor. Splat. Instinctively, I reached out to try to contain it with my hand somehow. Then I remembered that this spider was one of those rosies that can not be counted on to remain calm. She's thrown me threat postures before. So, I backed up and wondered what I should do. I knew if I shooed it back, it might fall to the floor of the cage -about a six-inch drop - which may have proved harmful. (Again, bad me) If I grabbed it, I may have gotten tagged, which would more than likely have resulted in a startled fling. Splat via being temporarily airborne.
I grabbed a 12x 8 piece of cardboard on which I use to cut up crickets for the slings, intending to goose her over the top onto the cardboard. Then I thought, "Yeah genius, then what if it decides to keep right on going?" I pondered for a moment, my approach seemed to have made it decide to freeze for the moment. (That's when I grabbed the camera and took a quick shot of it.)
I finally noticed a nearby empty deli container and picked it up and placed it inside the tank beneath the spider, and then used the sheet of cardboard prod her it into the container. That worked, and I lowered it to the floor of the cage and tilted the spider out to where she belongs.

I guess I better backfill the cage to a safe level. Oh and all of this transpired within 5 minutes. I've had the lid off before longer than that and the spider never even made an effort to climb out. Which was what lured me into a sense of complacency, I guess.

Oh, and nothing makes you realize that glass you considered clean is not so clean quicker than using a flash to take a photo. Ugh.

Attachments

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Fun times :) Suggestion: Always keep catchcups of appropriate sizes somewhere close to the cages - it's less stressfull in those situations ;)

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
I notice tarantulas have a tendancy to "follow the wind" I have intentionally left lids of tanks and containers with some of my slings and juvies and watch them be lured out by the breeze and climb up the side of the tank, it's really interesting.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah, it was just happenstance that there was a suitable catch-cup nearby, fortunately. That's good advice, though I never would have suspected that the pet rock would be the one to necessitate it!

And yes, that is interesting. I may deliberately leave the lid off and see it in prompts a similar result.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I've had that happen too, but due to my own stupidity. I've taken the sliding top off the tank of my MF LP, to change its water dish or feed her, and then forget to put it back on. Thankfully her enclosure is right below the TV in the living room, so the movement of her starting to climb over the lip of the tank has caused a world record sprint to stop her. The first time, all I had were my bare hands. Ever tried to corral a grouchy 9 inch spider with 3/4 inch fangs with your bare hands? I don't recommend it. Knock on wood, she climbed onto one hand, and then the other as I put her back in. A scary three or four seconds though.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, it was just happenstance that there was a suitable catch-cup nearby, fortunately. That's good advice, though I never would have suspected that the pet rock would be the one to necessitate it!

And yes, that is interesting. I may deliberately leave the lid off and see it in prompts a similar result.
Yeah LP also looks like a pet rock but minute I open lid, it would gladly run away. Its been trying to break free since I gave it a 20gal long. Last time I was feeding it ran away almost as I was getting its food.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Every time I open the cup my LP sling is in currently, it starts running for the side to climb up. Aside from the juvie Hapalopus, it is the only spider I have that really tries to make a break for it to the point I am very concerned. The others either scurry to hide or just scurry, but I don't get the "Alright! now's my chance!" vibe I get from the LP and the Hapalopus.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Every time I open the cup my LP sling is in currently, it starts running for the side to climb up. Aside from the juvie Hapalopus, it is the only spider I have that really tries to make a break for it to the point I am very concerned. The others either scurry to hide or just scurry, but I don't get the "Alright! now's my chance!" vibe I get from the LP and the Hapalopus.
well 50% of Ts would run away if startled, but if I need them in time.... They-re too happy to go anywhere.
I got 8 lp slings & like 4-5 N cromatus slings. They behave very similar. Many must be freebies as I don't ever buy N cromatus anymore. I coulda picked some up cheap who knows.

Beltane

Arachnopeon
Too funny. Glad it all worked out okay. I love the pic you were able to get. :)

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Almost exact thing happened with my G. rosea:biggrin:
I coaxed her back in with a catch cup and the lid to said catch cup.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tim, you have two hands, one to take a picture, one to place the tarantula back into the enclosure. :). I wish i could have gotten a pic of the 6.5" female S. calceatum i had in my naked armpit :).

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Oh, no way I was going to try to multi-task spider wrangling with photography. I just grabbed the camera that was nearby while I collected my thoughts as to how to handle the issue. It knew the gig was up at my first approach and just it sat there hoping I would turn my back again.