Aboreal snake question for ATB, ETB, and GTP

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ok update I read the book and had I believe every question answered. I was kinda iffy though about getting it because I have bought books in the past that make you go now what in the world... that answered nothing. It's a really helpful book and I enjoyed it. Brought everything I was wondering into light and easy enough to read you can understand what he is talking about.

Here is what I got from a breeder on the chondro site. Just in case anyone was wondering if I ever made up my mind. We love it dearly. My little captive breed unsexed yearling. The breeder was super cool and I am super happy. By the way. I have made a few changes to the cage since that photo. I had to cut that jungle gym and spread the plants out for better coverage.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
green tree pythons are one of my favorites but emerald tree boas are to die for. i would suggest not to get a snake at all IF you are not going to handle. how would you like being in a cage all day? just like us snakes need to strech their mucsles.:) also dont forget to put some tree and rainforest theme in the cage, they are climbers!
I agree with you that these snakes are amazing species, but I don't agree with your sentiments on handling as a prerequisite for owning snakes. The species in this post can be downright pugnacious which suggests to me that they just don't want to be handled. Would you say the same thing about a hot species? Your analogy on humans and snakes is a nice example of anthropomorphism. Can't a snake stretch it's muscles just fine within the confines of an appropriately sized enclosure? I think they can.

To the OP: Beautiful snake!

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for all the info and feedback I got. She/he is a little strikey to word it nicely but I do enjoy it. My daughter loves it too and call's it her "Banana snake."

The breeder is Kevin Kopf. I ended up getting KK09-03 from him. You can't even really see the skin fold unless it stretches out and your really looking for it. :D

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have heard of Kopf. most people don't even know what a skin fold is, let alone, noticing one on an animal like this. she/he may grow out of the nippy behavior. mine was like that for the first year and now she is pretty tame. i wouldn't say tame like a ball python. she can have her moments but i haven't been hit by her for a couple of years.

one word of advice on these. bump the humidity way up during a shed. when mine goes opaque, i mist daily until she sheds. be sure not to mist so heavy that it soaks the tank but heavy enough to fog the glass.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have heard of Kopf. most people don't even know what a skin fold is, let alone, noticing one on an animal like this. she/he may grow out of the nippy behavior. mine was like that for the first year and now she is pretty tame. i wouldn't say tame like a ball python. she can have her moments but i haven't been hit by her for a couple of years.

one word of advice on these. bump the humidity way up during a shed. when mine goes opaque, i mist daily until she sheds. be sure not to mist so heavy that it soaks the tank but heavy enough to fog the glass.
Yeah I had to ask him what it was but it didn't bother me. Not like it is gonna hurt it when I found out what it was. I even tried to search for it but ended up with nothing and no info on it. It makes it different so it's ok. LOL. She/he shed about a week after I got it so my son had to parade it all around the school to show off mommas new snake skin. I did have to ask urban jungles just to make sure it was ok I had the humidity backwards. Water collecting during the night and not at day. Of course I did something but not sure what and now all the sudden nothing so I am misting again till I can rig a humidifier up. I'll be glad to get a final cage built and running. I like the idea of using the wood connected with hooks and planting it but well see. I kill plants in the frog tank all the time.

Coolest part was they were studying insets last week (kindergarden) so he got to take the molts and a few dead specimens along with the shed. His teacher stood in awhh as he told them all about everything. I did too. Shows how much kids really do pay attention when you think they aren't.

Sunset

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what to pick

well frist I dont think this is the right boards to be posting something about reptiles. any ways. All three of theses snakes are snakes you shouldnt be picking up because there all mean and like to strike and bite. if you want to get a nice display snake i would get a green tree python or a amazon. amazons come in all kinds of colors. if you want to get a snake that you can hold that has nice colors i would get a red tail, corn snakes, ball pythons king snakes corns snakes. just depends on the price

Devil'sRival

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well frist I dont think this is the right boards to be posting something about reptiles. any ways. All three of theses snakes are snakes you shouldnt be picking up because there all mean and like to strike and bite. if you want to get a nice display snake i would get a green tree python or a amazon. amazons come in all kinds of colors. if you want to get a snake that you can hold that has nice colors i would get a red tail, corn snakes, ball pythons king snakes corns snakes. just depends on the price
Well first off this is the "Not so spineless wonders" section ie anything with a spine, so yes she posted in the right area. Secondly did you even read the entire thread?

Whitewolf
Congrats on the beautiful snake. I've wanted one for a long time now but my work schedule won't allow me to give it proper care. Btw I have family right down the road from you in Santa Fe.

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have enteracted with all three and own a green tree. it is all in the snake and saying that all of them are "mean" is a stupid sterotype. i have seen more "mean" redtails than chondros.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Btw I have family right down the road from you in Santa Fe.
Awesome. If your ever out this way feel free to come by and say Hi!

i have enteracted with all three and own a green tree. it is all in the snake and saying that all of them are "mean" is a stupid sterotype. i have seen more "mean" redtails than chondros.
Yeah I've got a feisty King that would rather bite the hand that feed it then behave itself. lol. It's nippy if your silly enough to stick a finger in front of it's mouth but I defiantly wouldn't call it mean, it's much sweeter than the kingsnake. Anything can be defensive but it's not hunting me down trying to eat me.

There are quite a few reptile keepers here too. ;)
Off the top of my head- Urban Jungles, Danny keeps Amazons along with caring and breeding things most of us will never be allowed to lay hands on. (Very jealous) He has answered a lot of other questions in the past for me.
Pitbulllady raises/breeds water snakes and is very good with them. jayefbe has given me advice a few times too. And a lot of others from many other boards I know are here too. I've actually dealt with Kings and Corns for a long time and am burned out on those. I also have had a water snake, a ball python, and will soon have a hog island boa. :? This is strictly a display, not a hold me pet me type of snake. I was mainly trying to filter out the BS sites and get others points of view on info, books, care guides, and dealers.

Which again thanks everyone for all the info, help, and thoughtful comments.