Aesthetic Enclosures

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd be concerned with pruning and a Poki taking a fast run out.
I just tap on the glass when I have to open the enclosure, she'll either crawl into her cork bark or go hide in a corner. Snipping a leaf or two off once a month isn't any worse than having to fill the water dish, cleaning poo off of the glass, or doing any other sort of cage maintenance. Plus, the Exo Terras have that dual door design, so you only have to open one door at time.

Any problems with mites appearing? Moisture + mold equals mold mites. I'd be curious to know. IF I try this, I'll do it with an Avic FIRST.
No significant issues with mold or mites currently, in any of my enclosures (and I keep "swamp dwellers" like Theraphosa and Ephebopus too). This enclosure is well ventilated; it doesn't get stagnant humid like glass-covered dart frog vivs do.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just tap on the glass when I have to open the enclosure, she'll either crawl into her cork bark or go hide in a corner. Snipping a leaf or two off once a month isn't any worse than having to fill the water dish, cleaning poo off of the glass, or doing any other sort of cage maintenance. Plus, the Exo Terras have that dual door design, so you only have to open one door at time.

No significant issues with mold or mites currently, in any of my enclosures (and I keep "swamp dwellers" like Theraphosa and Ephebopus too). This enclosure is well ventilated; it doesn't get stagnant humid like glass-covered dart frog vivs do.
Thanks, that's true it's double doored, I have large one for reptiles. I was wondering about ExoTerras regarding air flow. I know how they are vented. Do you think they would be fine for Avics? Curious because there's no side ventilation.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had my last avic in an Exo Terra Nano, it worked out fine. With the vents below the doors across the entire front and the screen top, ventilation isn't an issue.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had my last avic in an Exo Terra Nano, it worked out fine. With the vents below the doors across the entire front and the screen top, ventilation isn't an issue.

I've always wondered how well those front works really work though. In my case I didn't have to worry about it. Did your Avic have any issues with a screen top? Thanks! What size would you recommend for a 6" Avic adult if I go w/an Exo Terra?

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Did your Avic have any issues with a screen top? Thanks!
No problems there. I haven't had any issues with screen lids and arboreals. Never had them get stuck nor had them chew at the screen. Terrestrials are a different story, however.

What size would you recommend for a 6" Avic adult if I go w/an Exo Terra?
Said Avic was only about 4 inches or so, so the Nano was just fine size-wize. For a 6 inch one you could probably still keep it in the Nano. Though I would consider going the next size up, especially depending on what you have planned for your enclosure. If it was to be a planted enclosure with décor, I would personally use the 12X12X18 for a spider of that size. Just my opinion/preference of course.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't want to rain on your parade, vespers, but personally I dislike the Nano's. Not only because of the danger of one getting stuck up in that mesh, but also because for Avics those enclosure have too much humidity escape through said lid. There's also the fact that a T can easily nom through that if it wants to, my big P. cambridgei female started nomming on the vents of her enclosure, so I rehoused her last year into a glass one with the thick back-vent she can't nom on.

Again, just my personal opinion, mate.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't want to rain on your parade, vespers, but personally I dislike the Nano's. Not only because of the danger of one getting stuck up in that mesh, but also because for Avics those enclosure have too much humidity escape through said lid. There's also the fact that a T can easily nom through that if it wants to, my big P. cambridgei female started nomming on the vents of her enclosure, so I rehoused her last year into a glass one with the thick back-vent she can't nom on.

I don't think the humidity is such an issue though. Most people don't provide enough ventilation. Have you heard of any arboreal Ts getting caught up in screen tops? I'd like to know if you have.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't think the humidity is such an issue though. Most people don't provide enough ventilation. Have you heard of any arboreal Ts getting caught up in screen tops? I'd like to know if you have.
They're less likely to, but it's possible.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

The nano isn't any different than the larger exo terra terrariums, save for it being smaller with a single door design. Ventilation is more crucial to keeping avics than high humidity, like viper mentioned. In the wild they live up in trees, on buildings, etc. where there is plenty of air movement/air flow compared to the rainforest floor. But the way we often keep them in captivity is more akin to having them to live at the base of a tree just off the ground, when you really think about it. They don't usually live 12 inches or so above the soil.

I've never heard of any arboreal T's getting caught in screen, nor have I experienced it. I've never had an arboreal chew on the screen either...but I've only kept avics and pokies in screen top enclosures, not Psalmopeus though. The only T I've had repeatedly and consistently chew at the lids of enclosures...a terrestrial of course...was L parahybana. Mine has a Zilla reptile screen cover for that reason, which is more like hardware cloth than window screen. Just my personal experiences though, of course.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The nano isn't any different than the larger exo terra terrariums, save for it being smaller with a single door design. Ventilation is more crucial to keeping avics than high humidity, like viper mentioned. In the wild they live up in trees, on buildings, etc. where there is plenty of air movement/air flow compared to the rainforest floor. But the way we often keep them in captivity is more akin to having them to live at the base of a tree just off the ground, when you really think about it. They don't usually live 12 inches or so above the soil.

I've never heard of any arboreal T's getting caught in screen, nor have I experienced it. I've never had an arboreal chew on the screen either...but I've only kept avics and pokies in screen top enclosures, not Psalmopeus though. The only T I've had repeatedly and consistently chew at the lids of enclosures...a terrestrial of course...was L parahybana. Mine has a Zilla reptile screen cover for that reason, which is more like hardware cloth than window screen. Just my personal experiences though, of course.

There's a Zilla top that fits an Exo Terra ?

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen a couple of threads when it has happened and it's not pretty, if the owner finds the T stuck they can often help them out and the T favours the leg until the next moult, but sometimes the T falls and the leg is ripped off. I'm not saying people shouldn't use mesh but I think it should be the mesh with really small holes, not large ones that the T can fit their legs through

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen a couple of threads when it has happened and it's not pretty, if the owner finds the T stuck they can often help them out and the T favours the leg until the next moult, but sometimes the T falls and the leg is ripped off. I'm not saying people shouldn't use mesh but I think it should be the mesh with really small holes, not large ones that the T can fit their legs through
No I wasn't thinking of screen with large holes. I'm thinking of screen that they normally use in reptile screens (front porch screen really). Where the legs are too large, BUT the "claws" of a T can fit into them, and so they hang onto the screen via their hooks. Wondering how safe that type of screen is for arboreals.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The only threads I've read or stories I've encountered were regarding terrestrials getting their tarsal claws caught and finding them stuck, though. Every arboreal I've kept, during the rare times I'd see them crawling upside down on screen lids, traversed it smoothly like it was just glass.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No I wasn't thinking of screen with large holes. I'm thinking of screen that they normally use in reptile screens (front porch screen really). Where the legs are too large, BUT the "claws" of a T can fit into them, and so they hang onto the screen via their hooks. Wondering how safe that type of screen is for arboreals.
Ah I see, I haven't ever heard of any issues with those types of screens, although I believe they do get dirty quickly (build up of dust in the vents) which could be an issue

---------- Post added 04-14-2014 at 07:41 AM ----------

The only threads I've read or stories I've encountered were regarding terrestrials getting their tarsal claws caught and finding them stuck, though. Every arboreal I've kept, during the rare times I'd see them crawling upside down on screen lids, traversed it smoothly like it was just glass.
Yes I was thinking of the mesh that has large holes, arboreals can also easily traverse this, but sometimes they get 'inquisitive' and stick their feet through then have trouble getting them back out again, kind of like putting a ring on your finger but then having trouble removing it. I've never owned an enclosure with any type of mesh so I only have hear-say and what I've read to go on

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a couple Avic sp Kwitara River and only one likes to investigate the drilled holes I made. I have some pics of it. When I see him doing it I reach out with my finger and we "handshake" haha. He's about the size of an American penny.