"aggressive" tarantulas

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The "substrate" idea is an old one based on an ignorant take of how sophisticated their sensory system is. The palps and first pair of legs have chemoreceptors out the yinyang. They are aware of any change in the chemical composition of what they're in contact with. The trick is that they don't really seem to care what the surface is they're on if they don't perceive it as a threat. If you know what sort of prods and stimuli will get them to move in the general direction you want without making them feel threatened, just about anybody can be handled or at least wrangled without excessive reactions on their parts.

OTOH, there are cranky individuals that I would never bother trying to wrangle with anything less than a 12" paint brush. In my collection there is one female N. coloratovillosus and a subadult male B. ruhnaui, both of which never, ever seem to wake up on the right side of the bed. The B. ruhnaui even comes up out of his burrow at any disturbance to slape and strike at whatever is disturbing his peace. If I wanted to demonstrate a tarantula bite, he'd be my go-to "man" :)

Last edited:

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol!!! oh yeah!!! duh! lol! she IS my little orange teddy bear ! {D
hahahha, cheers!:clap:, I like your post alot CodeMonkey, brings a lot of depth and perspective, I also learned a thing about the frontal parts of the T. thanks!:D I hope you don't get your B. ruhnaui and N. coloratovillosus on a real bad day, although the go to "man" joke was good..{D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is good to see that most of you agree with me. I wish we could call T's docile or defensive, instead of aggressive. That seems more accurate.

Really? And OBT that does not give threat poses? Wow!! That would be really cool!!!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It is good to see that most of you agree with me. I wish we could call T's docile or defensive, instead of aggressive. That seems more accurate.
In the end it's just a word. For those familiar with tarantula behaviour, they'll understand what you mean whether you choose "aggressive" or "defensive". For those who aren't familiar, or can't get past their nervousness to try and understand what makes them tick, no word is going to help.

Really? And OBT that does not give threat poses? Wow!! That would be really cool!!!
I've raised three of the orange fluff balls and have never gotten a threat pose once. My last remaining one, a big female, spends all her time in her "burrow" and if I disturb her just huddles up in a scrunch.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the end it's just a word. For those familiar with tarantula behaviour, they'll understand what you mean whether you choose "aggressive" or "defensive". For those who aren't familiar, or can't get past their nervousness to try and understand what makes them tick, no word is going to help.

I've raised three of the orange fluff balls and have never gotten a threat pose once. My last remaining one, a big female, spends all her time in her "burrow" and if I disturb her just huddles up in a scrunch.
WOW thats some luck, wonder where you got yours from..lol, that's some really nice and fluffy orange fluff balls..;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
to be honest, i've never seen most of my tarantulas throw a threat display at me. i think the craziest spiders i had where either some N. coloratovillosus juvs and some P. cancerides juvs. the canc's are also the only species i have seen stick their legs out the air holes and waggle them around... and i have seen every canc i have owned do that.... strange little bugs!

i was a bit disappointed in my OBT too... from sling to mature male and i never got an iota of attitude. he did makea break for it a number of times so it definitely wasn't boring... just not what i would have thought initially

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I simply prefer not to take any chances. Since I have a tendancy of being territorial myself, I think that it would be better handling them with tongs as needed, or when I feed them. Outside a healthy enviroment and food and water, what else could they possibly need from me. It's not like it's a cat or a dog that needs attention in the care package.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
to be honest, i've never seen most of my tarantulas throw a threat display at me. i think the craziest spiders i had where either some N. coloratovillosus juvs and some P. cancerides juvs. the canc's are also the only species i have seen stick their legs out the air holes and waggle them around... and i have seen every canc i have owned do that.... strange little bugs!

i was a bit disappointed in my OBT too... from sling to mature male and i never got an iota of attitude. he did makea break for it a number of times so it definitely wasn't boring... just not what i would have thought initially
Can you please further extrapolate on the cancerides waggling their legs? Did they also mistake anything as food? lol

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You have a point Code Monkey. I agree, I just wonder how many people get put off by that labeling. I admit, when I first got into the hobby, I was one of them. I slowly worked my way from docile to semi aggressive, to aggressive, to OW. I think I would have looked at it differently if they had been called defensive.
I haven't had any threat poses or "attacks" yet. Granted, my two pokies are still slings, but I do have an over 6 inch blondi and a P. cancerides close to that size. The cancerides is handleable, and the blondi runs for cover when I fill its water dish. I started this thread because I felt that there were some room for rethinking the classification of aggressive. I still feel that way and I'm glad I'm not alone.
That does not mean however, that I don't treat them with respect, don't invade their territory (unless necessary) and be very careful when dealing with them.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You have a point Code Monkey. I agree, I just wonder how many people get put off by that labeling. I admit, when I first got into the hobby, I was one of them. I slowly worked my way from docile to semi aggressive, to aggressive, to OW. I think I would have looked at it differently if they had been called defensive.
I haven't had any threat poses or "attacks" yet. Granted, my two pokies are still slings, but I do have an over 6 inch blondi and a P. cancerides close to that size. The cancerides is handleable, and the blondi runs for cover when I fill its water dish. I started this thread because I felt that there were some room for rethinking the classification of aggressive. I still feel that way and I'm glad I'm not alone.
That does not mean however, that I don't treat them with respect, don't invade their territory (unless necessary) and be very careful when dealing with them.
part of the reason i take "crazy" pictures is to give concrete demonstration to what you are saying. i think some people like to hype up the dangerousness of some species to make themselves feel tougher... or something... but when you have some fool saying they killed his cat from 50 paces and you have *this* fool with pics of free handling it at least gives a like, counter example

plus it's fun =P

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I started this thread because I felt that there were some room for rethinking the classification of aggressive.
At this point, I've been on these and other boards going back a good 5 years and I've seen this topic wax and wane repeatedly. When it waxes, you wind up with the equivalent of the Political Correctness police who hate using any word but "defensive" and spend a great amount of energy correcting others for using the word "aggressive". Eventually they get tired of it and go away and the "bad words" make their way back into common usage.

In the end, all that winds up happening is an education about synonyms as they really do mean exactly the same thing when it comes to tarantulas.

I use the two terms interchangeably. I have found that using "defensive" with the general masses just puts you in the position of explaining that means it's a spider that's more likely to rear up, hiss, slap, and even bite, you know, aggressive ;). Why it doesn't matter is that even if I define defensive accurately, the person inclined to think of spiders as violent monsters places those behaviors in the context of a violent monster. What is more important is accurately depict their range of behaviors and emphasise the general lack of danger (or much of anything from these fuzzy pet rocks :D) rather than worry about the specific words used to describe them.

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I decided to skim through this thread again because I was beginning to think that I was overlooking something.

I'm pretty sure most of you know that I'm pretty new to the hobby. I'm considerring buying my second Tarantula. I'm thinking of getting a Citharischius crawshayi. Is this a good idea for a beginner and why?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree again CM.

Seen1980,
That depends. Most people would say no, not a good choice for a beginner. Then there are some people who come on the boards with a T. blondi as their first T. In the end you will do as you wish. If you decide to get a defensive T, then you must remember to treat it with caution and respect. Be careful, do your research. Never feed or do maintenance with indifference.
Normally I would say no, you shouldn't do that, but I've noticed people do as they choose so it does no good. What I will say is think very carefully before you do that, and be prepared to provide the T with the correct husbandry. Good luck.

Last edited:

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's true, and I'd let you know what my choices are when I have a better knowledge of what's being offered.

If I would use a pair of tongs to maintain the Citharischius crawshayi both inside the tank and keep him/her away from my hand. Would it simply maintain the defense posture, retreat if I use the tongs to move it farther away from my hand, or would it attack the tongs?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use "defensive" more than "threat".

Simply because 99% of the time, ALIME, it is a reactive response rather than a proactive or pre-emptive behavior.

*shrugs*

Oh well, both terms describe the phenomenon by equal fair definitions.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It depends on how much the T gets irritated by whatever you may have to do in the way of maintenance. I have a B. boehmei that kicks when I add water to his dish, and a P. cancerides that hides when I open her tank.

phily1579

Arachnopeon
Want to trade Obts? I have a 5" female that if u look at her, she rears up and sticks her fangs out even dripping with venom. I thought theres no such thing as a ca:eek:lm Obt:angelic:

Memnoch67

Arachnopeon
I have never met an aggressive T. But all are defensive when threatened or stressed.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, consider this... unless you are unequivocably the most bad ass thing out there a policy of unmitigated aggression is a very poor survival strategy.

i free handle a lot of bugs that are traditionally viewed as hands off. i have never been bit by a tarantula... scorps and cents have lit me up (generally with some form of provocation on my part) but tarantulas have never bit me

a large reason why i have never been bit by a tarantula is that i don't play with them when they seem inordinately reactive. if i tap the side of their container and they move away in a burst of speed then probably tomorrow is a better day to play.

another thing to consider is that while some animals might be tricked into thinking you are the substrate tarantulas, specifically arboreals, really notice something is up! some i have to trick into walking on my skin.... so i think the winning strategy has more to do with not doing ANYTHING to make them feel threatened rather than convincing them you are the substrate
Is that really worth being bit by a pokie? The venom is pretty serious as I'm sure you know. Not to sound rude but.....were you thinking straight at all when you held it?