An unusual rehousing (had to say something to someone as my wife is uninterested)

Niss

Arachnopeon
Well, spring is here and I often do any major maintenance around this time. Several spiders have already been rehoused, I'm loving the new enclosures, am now so fond of frog moss I'm putting it in everything (where appropriate). Good times.

My Pseudhapalopus sp. Columbia/blue had really been a bit foul in her enclosure, craping in her hide, leaving boluses in there too...so I was determined to redo it. Did a lovely job on the new enclosure then came time to move her. She was not impressed and was even kicking hairs as I gently guided her with a paintbrush (I'll consider myself lucky, this is the only T I have that actually ever kicks hair so I won't complain about that). Once in the new enclosure something looks funny... and yeah, she's lost her back right leg.

I can't say for certain how this happened, although I'll assume it was during the rehouse---perhaps I was careless lifting the hide---but needless to say I feel terrible about it even though she seems to have settled down to her new 7-legged existence for a moult or two. And yeah, I know it will grow back but I always feel horrible when anything happens to the spiders that I can blame on myself :).

That's all. Just me annoyed at myself but when I tried to share with the wife I was reminded that I was the one who decided to keep spiders. She's not wrong.

~N

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Losing a leg your fault or not it will be fine ; far worse things have happened . Any pics ? My last rehouse was fun ..🤣 for mold. Unfortunately I got haired , from outside of the cage .

Niss

Arachnopeon
Yikes. I have never had actual problems with urticating setae, but I do take precautions regardless as I'd rather not know the answer to how I'd react to a serious hairing :). I don't wear gloves or anything like that, but never dig around with my hands, interact with tongs, stay back when prodding with a paintbrush, etc. Even for my complete sweeties like the B. albiceps who I swear would do my taxes for me if I aske her nicely.

Thanks for mentioning pictures actually as it didn't occur to me to take any, but she's just freshly rehoused so it will never be easier getting shots of her while she sulks on the sides for a couple of days. I'll attach a couple that show the missing leg---they're through the enclosure as I feel I've pissed her off enough today so am not going to open it. Will toss in one of my B. albiceps and Davus sp. Panama as I do love those two to bits, and you mentioned pictures ;).

~N

Attachments