Anything strange about this regalis?

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like the pairing with my double folio regalis was successful. She is sitting on a nice sac. Unfortunately couldn't get any pics as she is in the bottom of her cork tube. Will wait to see if I see 1st instars running around in a few weeks time. :)

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These have eventually reached 2nd instar. Had a look in her cork bark tube, but can't see any non standard babies. All seem to have the normal folio pattern, so guessing it's probably not genetic then...

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
This is definitely an awesomely interesting thread, I'm amazed at the status thus far. Let us know if you ever find another double folio from the sac, that would be pretty nuts.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
These have eventually reached 2nd instar. Had a look in her cork bark tube, but can't see any non standard babies. All seem to have the normal folio pattern, so guessing it's probably not genetic then...
Its definitely not genetic in spiders. in mammals Defects are hereditary or based on diet is Rome & Greece had a decree against deformed babys , It is cruel but its history of most of the anceint world. Regardless Inbreeding spiders generally leads in smaller size Id imagine , since runts survive much more than in wild. Anothereason why Lasiodora aren't as big as original Wc specimens. I beilive sizes were over-aggerated also too , I doubt A LP could ever reach 11".

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Its definitely not genetic in spiders. in mammals Defects are hereditary or based on diet is Rome & Greece had a decree against deformed babys , It is cruel but its history of most of the anceint world. Regardless Inbreeding spiders generally leads in smaller size Id imagine , since runts survive much more than in wild. Anothereason why Lasiodora aren't as big as original Wc specimens. I beilive sizes were over-aggerated also too , I doubt A LP could ever reach 11".
11" prob not.. but better then the 13-15" some people claimed from lo and stirmis back in the day

Ashton

Arachnoknight
This is extremely interesting. Could there be a way to get a few babies of each into hands of responsible people to see what happens with theirs? I would hope people can also try with another line or two, none of which can go beyond a keeper at a time to ensure the population is fine.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Its possible to be a chimera.. or a incubated egg that formed funny (tossed or turned the wrong way and made the pattern dif)

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am going to be keeping a few to see what happens. The hobby is pretty small here in SA, so I will see if some funny regalis show up, but highly doubt it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Regardless Inbreeding spiders generally leads in smaller size Id imagine.
Most species of T's in captivity have come from a small number of w/c specimens, and therefore wind up being related to each other and inbred. That's the nature of the hobby. It's far too expensive, and often legally difficult (if not impossible), to keep introducing new blood from the wild, when so many species come from remote tropical regions. Yes, more slings from a sac survive in captivity than the wild, but remember too, that vast majority of exotic T's (at least in the US) die as virgins. When a runt reproduces there's another set of genes in the mix, and it may just mean a smaller number of eggs, not necessarily smaller spiders as adults.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Updated pic of her after a recent moult

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 11-23-2015 at 10:49 AM ----------

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Most species of T's in captivity have come from a small number of w/c specimens, and therefore wind up being related to each other and inbred. That's the nature of the hobby. It's far too expensive, and often legally difficult (if not impossible), to keep introducing new blood from the wild, when so many species come from remote tropical regions. Yes, more slings from a sac survive in captivity than the wild, but remember too, that vast majority of exotic T's (at least in the US) die as virgins. When a runt reproduces there's another set of genes in the mix, and it may just mean a smaller number of eggs, not necessarily smaller spiders as adults.
Especially in SA, where it is illegal to import arachnids, no one has ever had success in obtaining a permit for importing arachnids here in SA (at least that I know of).

---------- Post added 11-23-2015 at 11:27 AM ----------

That's a pretty cool looking T non-the-less.