Aphonopelma Chalcodes Seems Distressed

FireSpider

Arachnopeon
What I would like is a closer view of the t.
Me too. But my phone really doesn't like to focus on moving targets, and she freaks out when I open the lid. I'll keep trying, though. (Definitely not a problem I have with any of my other NW terrestrials. The hard part with them is getting them to move at all, lol. One of my rose hairs will actually sit there and let you brush him with the paintbrush. I think he likes it.)

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My A.Chalcodes was the same way actually. Took about two to three months to settle in. Kicked hairs all the time, didn't eat readily. I had used organic soil with her in a 5 gallon tank with a hide and a water dish. I would try setting her up in a 5 gallon with deep substrate, dried out organic soil, as someone else suggested, you can dry out the soil pretty qquickly with a fan. Where I am, it's been really hot so I've even left the soil in a bucket in the sun to dry it out(never heard of this not being recommended, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong in suggesting this).

Certain individual spiders just take longer than others to settle in.

Sana

Arachnoprince
The tarantula that I have ever had the hardest time getting settled was a G. porteri of all things. She had some similar behaviors as far as the running around, trying to climb, and not eating. I ended up giving her a burrow under a butter tub with an entrance cut into it completely covered in topsoil, a bark and fake plant hide option above ground, and some assorted plants to do with as she chose. It took her a while but she settled on the butter tub burrow, sealed it off, and stayed there for three months. One day she decided to emerge out of no where, looking no different than when she sealed herself in. She's been fine ever since, though I think she might still be the most active porteri I've ever heard of. I just made sure that she always had access to water and left her alone. Apparently she worked out her issues with her re-homing.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What a boring cage for a spider, no wonder why she panics when you open it. How about something interesting in there? Does the substrate have to be flat? Why not more objects? The hide is too short and small. Make it more natural.

I can't stand cocofiber, doesn't look like it can dig in that stuff in your cage. It's too shallow for digging anyways. How about some dry bagged top soil in a deeper cage. My terrestrials love to dig under a cork slab against the side of the cage.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The cocofiber is fine to use. I'd suggest giving it something bigger to hide under.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk