Arachnephobia!!! But Wait....(PART II)

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ultimate Instar said:
Although many people are frightened of tarantulas due to their large size, they seem to have an odd ability to cure arachnophobia. I guess that people are afraid of the unexpected and will panic if they suddenly find a small spider nearby.
That's the case for me. I still haven't handled my T because I want to be ready so I don't "freak" and accidentally hurt her. But I do pet her gently on the abdomen each day, to get aquainted, and a little more brave.
It's true though...I'm still not "down" with regular spiders. I may always be arachnophobic, but I hope to at least reach a point where chance encounters don't send me into a frenzy. My Tarantula has been better than any $ Therapist $ I've seen. I just hope I don't annoy her too much. She's probably thinking, "Ugh...BEGINNERS!" But she's been very patient. :eek:

Swampling

Arachnopeon
Ultimate Instar said:
Although many people are frightened of tarantulas due to their large size, they seem to have an odd ability to cure arachnophobia. I guess that people are afraid of the unexpected and will panic if they suddenly find a small spider nearby. There's also the "ick" factor that seems to go away if the animal is above a certain size. So assuming that people are willing to listen and learn, they will discover that Ts can be beautifully colored, (mostly) harmless and easily cared for. The hard part is getting them to listen.

Karen N.
I don't think hearing about how harmless (most) spiders are helps much, not whith real arachnophobia anyway. I've been terrified of spiders most of my life, and the knowledge that there is no spider in Sweden that can possibly harm a human being hasn't cured me one bit. I once had a daddy long leg climbing on me, I totally freaked out :eek: and scared my family to death for sure, they thought I had lost an arm or something.

But now my brother has been into tarantulas for about a year so I've got a chance to study these creatures in a "controlled environment" ;). Slowly my fear of spiders have changed into fascination... I still don't wanna have a spider crawling on me but I've decided to buy a Grammostola aureostriata.

Sometime next year perhaps I will find the courage to touch it :D .

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
You're a great writer, you had me captivated!! I'm SO HAPPY for you, one thing you said, "You were afraid you would hurt HIM" tells all. You're now afraid of him anymore, you're afraid FOR him!! {D

His home is gorgeous!! The only thing that I would remove is the sand. Tarantulas have book lungs at the bottom of their opisthoma, the sand COULD get into the lungs and hamper oxygen absorpton.

Welcome to the boards and continue to share your wonderful stories with us!!

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey. Cool story, and what an unusual way to find yourself in the hobby. Thanks for sharing youre expierence with us. Your braver than I am, It took me a while before I "pet" one of my tarantulas.

Also, I dont know how much you have researched or whatnot, but if you pet your T, make sure to wash your hands well. If you got your fingers near your eyes or nose, the utricating hairs could really give you a bad expirence.

Enjoy your T, and welcome to the hobby and boards. :D

Kismet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
VoodooFuneral said:
I love the little blue girl in my 1st post- is she Avicularia versicolor? I think I would really like to have one- how is their temperament?
{D

Before you know it you'll be running out of space for all your Ts.

Once again well done!

By the way I've always loved spiders but I'm a newbie to tarantulas too - got my first three months ago...I now have 12 (ahem!) but I was super wary about picking them up for the exact same reasons as you - thought I was gonna do something wrong and hurt them! Last night Tricks (my G.Pulchra) and I settled down to watch a movie together so I have no doubt that before long you'll find yourself totally at ease with Bruno (if that's gonna be her name!)

Finally I have a couple of A.Versis and they are beautiful...I think Avics are my fave. They're very docile indeed but skittish and fast moving when spooked - but I'm sure you'll be able to handle them once you get used to your rosie.

:)