Are hybrids bad?

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Before everyone gets all aggro, I would just like to ask a question. (Bet this thread will get tons of hits from people sitting with popcorn after reading the title. And yes, I have searched here... :) )

Having a discussion with a person regarding hybrid tarantulas.
Does anybody have any links to deformities, moulting problems, abnormalities, high death rates amoungst hybrid tarantulas?

I hope that this will not become another discussion thread (There are more than enough of those on here regarding hybrids), just looking for any reports on issues with offspring from hybrid breedings, as I have owned/own a few hybrids and have had no more hassles than what you would expect from a pure spider.

If you have hybrid spiders that are healthy as a horse and don't want to post on here, please feel free to drop me a pm with your first hand account.

Thanks

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
Some guy on Youtube named Jon or something has a hybrid spider he featured on a video I watched recently. I'm sure he would reply if you asked him, he seems pretty knowledgeable.

---------- Post added 01-10-2014 at 03:15 AM ----------

I suppose I should add that his videos are ridiculously easy to find, but if you need help I'm sure myself or someone could direct you, lol.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have a 7" female Psalmopoeus irminia/cambridgei. She is very healthy, beautiful, laid back, and one of my favorites.

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
I like this because you identified a problem in a manner that was for the most part agreeable. Alan hickin (I hope that's right) had a video or two on an avic avic crossed avic amazonica. It looks like a regular avic only a little different. As far as I'm aware from his updates, it's still alive and there aren't many problems but try finding before quoting me on this.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My theory is that they are relatively healthy (Same as any pure spider).
Looking at the amount of possible accidental hybrids we have in the hobby (Avicularia, Lasiodora, Pamphobeteus,Ceratogyrus,Chilobrachys, Brachypelma, etc) that thrive, I have no doubt that they don't suffer more from moulting problems, deformities, etc.

Was just trying to see if anyone has had cases where hybrids were unhealthy and you had more losses than what you would expect from a pure sac of spiders.

Thanks for the replies so far, hoping to get more examples from people out there.

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
Damn john that is a good looking spider. I have considered trying some hybrid pairings but I don't know that I want to try and raise a whole sack of slings with no way of being able to sell them. Either that or I could mix some pokies and create the largest communal setup out there. There was a member on here I believe that had done some hybrid pairing and ended up with some deformities but I can't remember their name.

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Before everyone gets all aggro, I would just like to ask a question. (Bet this thread will get tons of hits from people sitting with popcorn after reading the title. And yes, I have searched here... :) )
Hahahaha turns out I'm one of those people (except I only have coffee)....

I have learned to completely stay out of such arguments (e.g. hybrids, handling, ect.). It's not even worth trying to have a good discussion with how belligerent people can get.

Instead I prefer to just sit and watch people lose their minds. Not sure why, because no new concepts are ever discussed. It's always the same old people with the same views saying the same things hahaha. Call it a guilty pleasure.. like middle aged women and their "stories"

However, this thread looks to be a little different. For once, people are being level-headed. Hopefully we can get some good information without people bursting in spewing their personal opinions all over the place....

Unfortunately I don't have any personal experiences to report, but I look forward to seeing some new information discussed!

Hanska

Arachnobaron
I have learned to completely stay out of such arguments (e.g. hybrids, handling, ect.). It's not even worth trying to have a good discussion with how belligerent people can get.
Someone should make a topic about handling hybrid Ts just after feeding them mice. That would be a show worth watching

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Someone should make a topic about handling hybrid Ts just after feeding them mice. That would be a show worth watching
Haha. :)
Maybe one day. :)
Got a very nice post about hybrid tarantulas with no problems. Just waiting to get permission to post it here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
reading through this, I would like to chime in...and I would love to have some people come out of the dark alleys and post their pics of hybrids they have as well as their own personal reports of how it happened, where they came from and has there been any attempt to breed said hybrid. My friend has an adult female albogans (Brachypelma albopilosum x vagans) that she raised from 2nd instar. this was an intentional breeding, done by someone we know, using a vagans female and an albo male. shes fluffy and red and ill tempered haha. she as well as 8 others were purchased by me and a few friends as an interest in seeing what they would look like, knowing we would never sell them. Of the 9 only one was a female and only 3 (including the one female) made it to maturity. i have no info on whether this was due to them being hybrids or just chance happenings. If anyone would like a picture i am sure i could get her to take one of this good looking girl.

cold blood

Staff member
Too funny. Before I clicked on the thread I thought to myself, "I better go get a soda right away, this one could take a while to read"

Then I read your comment and had to laugh to my self. :)

---------- Post added 03-22-2014 at 10:09 PM ----------

I have a 7" female Psalmopoeus irminia/cambridgei. She is very healthy, beautiful, laid back, and one of my favorites.
Interesting, I have read a bit in "tarantulas and other arachnids" about this hybrid, claiming, "the resulting young were infertile"....and "these hybrid young were also not as attractive as either parent species"

For some reason I cannot see the pic you posted.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Too funny. Before I clicked on the thread I thought to myself, "I better go get a soda right away, this one could take a while to read"

Then I read your comment and had to laugh to my self. :)

---------- Post added 03-22-2014 at 10:09 PM ----------

Interesting, I have read a bit in "tarantulas and other arachnids" about this hybrid, claiming, "the resulting young were infertile"....and "these hybrid young were also not as attractive as either parent species"

For some reason I cannot see the pic you posted.
I saw the pic, and she is beautiful... i also saw a guy online who showed a hybrid of the same kind that looked more like an irminia. i found this to be intriguing because it begs to question why? the breeder of catfishrod69's hybrid come from a cambridgei female and irminia male where as the one on youtube came from the opposite pairing? was it just the genes were stronger in these pairings? OR....are they from the same sac and they vary in appearance because of the genetic mixing?

And further more, big hypothetical "IF" you were to take these hybrids and breed them to pure breds and get viable offspring, would these offspring physically appear to look normal but now carry the genes of the other sp. or would they look completely different?