Are S.cals really that bad?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Oddly most of the T bites I've read about have involved so called experienced keepers, maybe they get over confident.
I'm sure a few do get overconfident. Stan Schultz has primarily kept NW's, mainly Brachypelma and Aphonopelma, and been bitten 2 dozen times, mostly due to handling. I've had tarantulas for about the same time period, with a large percentage of OW's, most of which Stan has never owned, and I haven't ever been bitten. I don't handle mine. But I also had only NW's for my first several years and worked my way up in stages. One of the things that experience teaches you is what they're capable of, not what they normally do, and that's at the heart of this thread. The average person can deal with what most species do on a day-to-day basis. But some days things go differently, for whatever reason, and they aren't prepared as things unravel in seconds before their eyes. That's what the hobby would like to avoid. Sure, you can be Mr. Big Shot and start out with the ones with the worst reputations, but this isn't about 'you.' It's about the media and political climate in which exotic animal ownership is already threatened. That changes everything. Whether you realize it or not, there's an obligation to fellow T owners for you not to do things which could get the animals banned and hobby shut down. The ones that refuse to acknowledge this are usually only interested in 'Me Me Me!'

Last edited:

Enn49

Arachnosquire
We had years of experience of snakes which can always be unpredictable and have had many bites including a wet bite from a Hognose so we felt we could cope with a T but we began with juvis and I believe that was the right decision for us, slings are much more scary to me.

The problems usually arise with people who buy a T to show off to their mates, have few drinks and play with the T.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your average four door sedan "family car" bores the hell out of me. That’s why, when my daughter turns sixteen, I’m going to buy her the fastest, most powerful car available.

Wait, no I’m not, that’s irresponsible.

See also recommending a potentially dangerous animal to someone new to the hobby.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Thank you...somebody that finally seems to agree with me in that Stromatopelma calceatum are not ravenous, die-hard, monsters. I've always had good experiences with the species. Not sure where all the fuss arose from regarding the species lately...apparently.
No one called them monsters. If you bothered to read most of the posts you decided to disregard, you'd notice people saying they were fast, defensive and potent. But you'd really rather talk about how great it is to teach people, but all you've "taught" thus far is how great you think you are.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I’d also add, with respect to new hobbyists, I wouldn’t recommend a species that spends 98% of its time hidden away in its burrow. My H. mac is gorgeous, unfortunately, I haven’t seen her in months – at least eight. New worlds are great as they are visible most of the time.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I’d also add, with respect to new hobbyists, I wouldn’t recommend a species that spends 98% of its time hidden away in its burrow. My H. mac is gorgeous, unfortunately, I haven’t seen her in months – at least eight. New worlds are great as they are visible most of the time.
That has just made my mind up - I don't want another hiding away all the time, my OBT is bad enough so I guess I'll stick with what I've got for now..

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That has just made my mind up - I don't want another hiding away all the time, my OBT is bad enough so I guess I'll stick with what I've got for now..
There's tons of gorgeous species out there - both NW and OW. As it has been said so often already: No need to be "extreme" and get an S. calceatum (heck, I don't plan to get one either, besides I still consider H. maculata more beautiful especially since you seem them more often from what others told me) - you can always go to the picture section of this very forum and browse through the different genera threads. If you find something you like, start researching said specimen - this is a good place to start right away when you set your eyes on something. I don't see a need to be disappointed or mad about people saying S. cal = needs experienced keeper.

Besides - temperaments vary depending on specimen - imagine getting one that's really cranky all the time...:D

To sum it up: While I'm not scared of them, I pay them tons of respect and simply don't feel ready for that particular species. Same with certain others, like Haplopelma (whereas these don't appeal to me anyways being petholes mostly) - just not my style. I don't think S. calceatum are exceptionally evil or out to get you, no T is. But a nimble, teleporting arboreal with one of the reportedly strongest venoms in the T world thus far researched is something I'm not going to get for years to come. And again, H. maculata look so stunningly beautiful (I dig Michaels girl :D).

Enn49

Arachnosquire
There's tons of gorgeous species out there - both NW and OW. As it has been said so often already: No need to be "extreme" and get an S. calceatum (heck, I don't plan to get one either, besides I still consider H. maculata more beautiful especially since you seem them more often from what others told me) - you can always go to the picture section of this very forum and browse through the different genera threads. If you find something you like, start researching said specimen - this is a good place to start right away when you set your eyes on something. I don't see a need to be disappointed or mad about people saying S. cal = needs experienced keeper.

Besides - temperaments vary depending on specimen - imagine getting one that's really cranky all the time...:D

To sum it up: While I'm not scared of them, I pay them tons of respect and simply don't feel ready for that particular species. Same with certain others, like Haplopelma (whereas these don't appeal to me anyways being petholes mostly) - just not my style. I don't think S. calceatum are exceptionally evil or out to get you, no T is. But a nimble, teleporting arboreal with one of the reportedly strongest venoms in the T world thus far researched is something I'm not going to get for years to come. And again, H. maculata look so stunningly beautiful (I dig Michaels girl :D).
I have already found a real beauty http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/oligoxystre-diamantinensis-p-2756.html#prettyPhoto but I'm dubious about spending that much money on such a tiny sling.

It wasn't the temperament that put me off the S. calceatum only the fact they hide for long periods. Temperaments don't just vary by species - I have 3 half inch H. incei that are completely different, one burrows and hides away, one almost ignores me and the other I'm sure thinks it's huge and wants to eat me.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How bad are Stromatopelma calceatums? I've heard they're actually aggressive but I've also seen people say they aren't any worse than pokies. What are your opinions on these guys and do they really live up to their stereotypes? Thanks, Bryce.
They actually are not that bad, i find lampropelmas much more challenging to deal with. Stromatopelma will choose to run before they will fight, but they can be quite defensive when they feel like it. But they have gotten a worse reputation than they deserve.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have already found a real beauty http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/oligoxystre-diamantinensis-p-2756.html#prettyPhoto but I'm dubious about spending that much money on such a tiny sling.

It wasn't the temperament that put me off the S. calceatum only the fact they hide for long periods. Temperaments don't just vary by species - I have 3 half inch H. incei that are completely different, one burrows and hides away, one almost ignores me and the other I'm sure thinks it's huge and wants to eat me.
I said specimen as in "individual", not species/genera :). That's simply normal. I just have to compare my P. irminia girls - one has no problem charging up to the opening of the enclosure to threaten with fangs bared, the other couldn't care less what you're doing in her enclosure - unless you get too close to her.

As for O. diamantinensis - while they're real beauties, if you like them that much why not give a GBB a try? Cheaper and very similiar looks, heavy webbers, good display T and easy to raise and keep. Plus ~5" as adults compare to the, I think, 2.5-3" of the diamantinensis.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I said specimen as in "individual", not species/genera :). That's simply normal. I just have to compare my P. irminia girls - one has no problem charging up to the opening of the enclosure to threaten with fangs bared, the other couldn't care less what you're doing in her enclosure - unless you get too close to her.

As for O. diamantinensis - while they're real beauties, if you like them that much why not give a GBB a try? Cheaper and very similiar looks, heavy webbers, good display T and easy to raise and keep. Plus ~5" as adults compare to the, I think, 2.5-3" of the diamantinensis.
Sorry I misunderstood. they are funny though when they are so small.

I had looked at GBBs but there aren't many around over here at the moment. I only found one online shop selling them and they were almost the same price although they are a little bigger. Also I like the stockiness of the O. diamantinensis.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sorry I misunderstood. they are funny though when they are so small.

I had looked at GBBs but there aren't many around over here at the moment. I only found one online shop selling them and they were almost the same price although they are a little bigger. Also I like the stockiness of the O. diamantinensis.
You do realize there's more than Spidershop.co.uk selling slings over there, yes? Try Tartan Tarantulas, Virginia Cheeseman aso. Search with google for them and you shall find them :D

Enn49

Arachnosquire
You do realize there's more than Spidershop.co.uk selling slings over there, yes? Try Tartan Tarantulas, Virginia Cheeseman aso. Search with google for them and you shall find them :D
I had tried Virginia but she has none and I tried loads of others, all around £20 - 25 if they have any. I'll have to have a serious think, do I go for the little chunky one or the bigger GBB? These decisions are so hard lol.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had tried Virginia but she has none and I tried loads of others, all around £20 - 25 if they have any. I'll have to have a serious think, do I go for the little chunky one or the bigger GBB? These decisions are so hard lol.
Logic dictates: Get both! :D (sorry my inner vulcan came through there...)

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow many comments very quickly haha

My s.cal actually tends to be out and about quite frequently, not the most striking colours but the patterns are so attractive, and the legs are to DIE for! :laugh: I rehoused recently (3" Juvie) with no issues, although I am a very patient rehouser.

But as Storm said this species is only for keepers with experience, I've been keeping Ts for over two years and I would not have got an adult of this species, that's why I got a sling to let it come into it slowly. It's no harder to deal with than any pokie IMO however it's venom is just so strong, you don't wana get bit by this

In all, they aren't as bad as people imagine, but they have the potential to be, you don't know what temperament each individual will have. Only keep them if you are willing to take the responsibility, never get one just to say you have one

---------- Post added 09-23-2014 at 08:01 AM ----------

:laugh: Don't encourage me. I'm not supposed to be getting any more.
Geeeeeeet theeeeem booooooth =P

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Wow many comments very quickly haha

My s.cal actually tends to be out and about quite frequently, not the most striking colours but the patterns are so attractive, and the legs are to DIE for! :laugh: I rehoused recently (3" Juvie) with no issues, although I am a very patient rehouser.

But as Storm said this species is only for keepers with experience, I've been keeping Ts for over two years and I would not have got an adult of this species, that's why I got a sling to let it come into it slowly. It's no harder to deal with than any pokie IMO however it's venom is just so strong, you don't wana get bit by this

In all, they aren't as bad as people imagine, but they have the potential to be, you don't know what temperament each individual will have. Only keep them if you are willing to take the responsibility, never get one just to say you have one

---------- Post added 09-23-2014 at 08:01 AM ----------

Geeeeeeet theeeeem booooooth =P
Ok thanks. I have a feeling that I'm going to get one in the next few weeks.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Right...don't make the same mistake twice, right? *grin*
Had to know you were gona bring that up :sarcasm: Not my proudest or most clear-headed moment =P

---------- Post added 09-23-2014 at 08:53 AM ----------

Ok thanks. I have a feeling that I'm going to get one in the next few weeks.
Awesome! I recommend getting a Juvie or sling and raising it, more rewarding that way =)